Why become a member? ×

Does anyone gig with just a B/F Midget cab?

MoonBassAlpha

I'm just curious.
I have a Shuttle 6, so should be plenty of power available, and neither of my (3-piece) bands is particularly noisy.
If I could get away with something as small as a Midget, I would, even though the Compact isn't exactly huge.
Your thoughts, as always, welcomed.
Cheers
Jules

I think you should be fine with a Midget as long as you aren't hitting the limiter on your Shuttle! It'll take up to 600w RMS (The shuttle 6 doesn't get to 600W, more like 550 at full chat with all the lights on).
I have a Super 12 and a Shuttle 6 and the cab is like (yawn, is that all you've got?)
I guess it depends how much LF you have in your sound though, if you're playing with a deep dubby tone you might be better with what you have. Drop Alex a line, he knows the Shuttle pretty well.

Yep - I use one a lot, with an EA Micro. Works very well in all but the really noisy situations (big marquees full of drunks etc) but there is always the DI option if there is a PA.

For really small gigs I still use an old GK micro combo, but simply for the small size. The EA/BF combination is very effective, and can cover a wide range of gigs, provided you can work with the "neutral" tone of the amp.

I only borrowed a Compact for a few days, so I've never heard them side by side....but I would say the Compact has a deeper sound, but is that much bigger...more like an old 15" combo. The Midget is small (not GK tiny) but has more mid range and this becomes more pronounced as you push the volume up. Not unpleasant, but a bit barky?

The other thing I would add is its hard to appreciate just how good the Midget sounds when you are standing in front of it and its blasting your knees. I try and keep it a few feet away when I can, and usually I enjoy the sound a lot more.

Hi

I've gigged with just a Midget or just a Compact. The Midget is more mid-rangey than the Compact, and I personally prefer the all round sonic ability of the Compact (which is all I use now, with an Orange Terror Bass). However, the low end can be brought back into the Midget with some appropriate EQ on the amp, and it will probably be more than loud enough for your needs.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1336551785' post='1647226']
The other thing I would add is its hard to appreciate just how good the Midget sounds when you are standing in front of it and its blasting your knees. I try and keep it a few feet away when I can, and usually I enjoy the sound a lot more.
[/quote]
Or just put it on a chair / beer crate / amp stand to raise it up a bit..

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1336561299' post='1647422']
Or just put it on a chair / beer crate / amp stand to raise it up a bit..
[/quote]

Never works for me, makes the mid range too prominent...I like the earth to move, just a little bit :gas: .

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1336561666' post='1647431']
Never works for me, makes the mid range too prominent...I like the earth to move, just a little bit :gas: .
[/quote]

+1

I've gigged the Midget a lot on electric and upright and the only time I hadn't enough volume was when I'd raised it up on a keyboard stand and lost the low mids. To do with boundary reinforcement I'm told. :) Raising it only a foot or so has less of an effect.

But other than that, on the floor and driving it with my EA Doubler (310 into 8ohms) it's mighty loud and even big noisy pubs don't give me a problem. You do need to boost the bass a tad, as it is a little barky at high vols, as bassbod has said. It cuts through very well and has no boominess whatsoever.

Wonderful cab. the only thing better would be two imo :)

another +1 from me. Couldn't be happier running my Midget T through a Harley Benton BA500H. Been using this setup for the last year, gigging every 2 or 3 weeks and its always been fantastic. Definitely keep it on the floor for coupling. I push the lows and lose some mids and it gives me everything I need. Love it!

It's not just the coupling that is an issue raising the cab, there is a cancellation effect. Often better to tilt the cab back so it's not firing straight at your knees, but keep it low down.
Of course, if you tilt it too far and you're not relying on PA then it'll go over the audience's heads...

I gig with the Midget t most of the time, takes all I can throw at it with a Streamliner 900 or Shuttle 9 (500 watts into 8 ohms). It can push louder and cleaner that the EA NL210 i had. Compact gives a bit more depth and trouser flap, but doesn't have the same top end bite. Using both is very impressive! I couldn't do without the Midget now, it's so easy to move about.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='MOSCOWBASS' timestamp='1336753719' post='1650573'] I gig with the Midget t most of the time, takes all I can throw at it with a Streamliner 900 or Shuttle 9 (500 watts into 8 ohms). It can push louder and cleaner that the EA NL210 i had. Compact gives a bit more depth and trouser flap, but doesn't have the same top end bite. Using both is very impressive! I couldn't do without the Midget now, it's so easy to move about. [/quote]

Exactly this. Even down to the Streamliner 900.

Gig, rehearse and practice with the Midget T all the time, use the Compact on its own for Motown gigs as it just hits the spot perfectly with that amp and a P on flats. Rarely get the opportunity to justify using both.

I do chicken out sometimes and take the Compact or both if I think the Midget going to be too small. When I have both I almost always do a song with the Compact unplugged and have yet to find the Midget unable to cope on its own. Its size belies its performance but it takes a while for it to sink in.

Prefer the Midget on the floor and standing away from it, 3m or so if possible. I don't really find a 'barky' effect but then my sound is a rather warm one.

+1 gigging the midget.

My amp is a Shuttle 9.0. And In my rock covers band with 2 guitards en a heavy hitting drummer the volume knob never passes 4. Though we always play with a PA.

Some gigs I go by public transportation. And after many years of being a drummer that is such a relief.
So I wouldn't trade with a S12. If I will ever need extra power a second midget will be my weapon of choice.