Why become a member? ×

ToneHammer 350 or 500?

Defo

No chance, IMO. You would need a bollocking 210 to cope with 275 watts of decent bass and even then it would be risky.
Of course, you might not be using the full whack the vast majority of time but the danger is that when things are loud and you ARE pushing, you can't quite hear the damage you'll be doing
so on that basis I always suggest you don't get near to these limits.
I always try and scope the gig to decide what rig is required and I always want the cab/cabs output level to excede the amp output. Easy to say, harder to do when all hell is breaking loose

Your 210 is a 200watt cab, so that's fine, until you need more than half the volume from your amp, then I'd use 2 cabs.

I'd look at this as a temporary solution, though. You really need 2 more powerful cabs so you aren't worrying about levels.

Aguilar cabs are the ones I'd be getting (on second thoughts a Compact would be a good 1 cab solution).

Thanks folks - my Ashdown is an ABM 210H not the MAG (sorry, was early) - so 350W at 8ohm. Have just ordered the TH500 awith a DB115 cabinet to replace the Hartke, so run the DB115 (400W at 8ohm) and option to add 210H in parallel - picking up tomorrow. Will be judicious with the volume.

Had this same quandry and for quiet gigs always took out the 210. When I changed cabs..I thought the same config would work again..as it has always been good in the past for me..
and generally I don't like 15's... !!! but, the size and weight of the 115 would not work from a carry/transport POV so I went 2x210 which turned out to be a great solution.. and why wouldn't it, as I believe
that a 410 is still the cab to beat in most smaller stage instances.

Anwyay... am most happy with 2x210's but would not try and tell someone that 115 and 210 isn't a good match, indeed...
I would keep to the same manufacturer and model tho..just to match it more easily and less trial and error as you'd expect decent makers to know their cabs work together

If you mix and match anything and everything, then the experiement may becomes more hit and miss. Not saying it wouldn't work, but I wouldn't buy things this way and expect it to.
If I had a spare and hooked it up and it worked well, then fine.

I guess I am such a tart with cabs these days but stil can recall a time when all this was VERY fraught

It wasn't so very long ago that Berg did indeed do 115 but maybe they think 12's do that job better thesedays.
I've never ever been convinced 15's work on their own and I also think that a 12 config is almost as much a compromise
but acceptable as you can get it in a smaller box.

I run a quality 2x112 rig against a 2x210 and the latter smashes it atm, IMV Maybe I will learn to use the 2x112 better
and the gap will get closer. I expect this will be the case but I can't see it becoming no 1 rig.

But, watch this space.

15s can indeed be very ric and punchy. No doubt about it.

I know the science behind speakers/cabinets can often throw a spanner in the works, but if its the same manufacturer, and they are clearly meant to 'fit' together, they manufacturer normally makes it so they balance well.

I have, however, never heard a 1x15 that has the upper midrange and treble punch like a 2x10, and I've tried the BF Compact. That could be due to anything though.

My ears are the best judge for me.