Why become a member? ×

Hipshot Supertone bridge

neepheid

[b]Introduction[/b]

Some of you may have noted that I was starting to have some problems with my Epiphone EB-3 - bridge posts lifting out of the body under string tension being the main one. I started to fix the problem by epoxying the threaded inserts into the body, but I remained sceptical that they would remain in place. I also started to get very annoyed with the Gibson/Epiphone 3 point bridge design. In my opinion it is a bit rubbish for the following reasons:

1) It's on stilts! Very little bridge - body contact
2) Only 2 way adjustable (overall bridge height and string length) - that's fine if your bass is well made and all the pickup poles square up, but what if they don't?
3) Did I mention it was on stilts? I don't think I'm the first person to have the bridge posts lift out of the body under tension. The problem doesn't seem to be limited to Epiphones either, there's been someone with a Gibson SG bass post on here with the same problem, and the instructions which come with the Hipshot Supertone bridge (which I'll talk about in more detail in a mo) suggest it might be an idea to glue them in prior to installation.

I suppose it could be worse, it could be an early Gibson bar bridge. But it could be so much better! Like if they'd used one of these instead:

[b]The Hipshot Supertone bass bridge[/b]

[size=1]Picture taken from [url="http://www.basspartsresource.com/bridge_hipshots.htm"]Bass Parts Resource[/url][/size]

The Hipshot Supertone bass bridge is a direct replacement bridge for the Gibson/Epiphone 3 point bass bridge. It is designed to fit the existing threaded inserts found in the body of the bass. It has a cut out in the bottom of the base plate to fit over the post at the front of the 3 point bridge. It is fully adjustable in all the ways you'd like - independent string height, string length and side to side spacing. The saddles are identical to Hipshot's A style bridges.

[b]Initial impressions[/b] - 7

On removing the bridge from the packaging, I was immediately impressed with the sheer bulk of it - this is a large piece of metal, make no mistake about it. It's at least twice the mass of the old 3 point bridge. It also came with two kinds of bolt for attaching the bridge, coarse thread and a finer thread. I was surprised to see that the two different types of bolt had slightly different heads on them, one nicer looking than the other (mental note at the time - bet it's the ugly ones I need for my bass). Instructions were a little on the flimsy side - one scruffy folded up bit of paper which told me that I might want to glue the inserts into the body as they have a tendency to lift. Just as well the installation is a doddle then. Also in the package was an allen key to tighten the mounting bolts. What they forgot to include was an allen key to adjust the saddles. Hmph. Just as well I had the key from my A style bridge on my custom build.

I really wish that hardware suppliers would brush up their presentation a bit. Look at EMG for instance - you buy a pickup or a wiring harness and you get a nice box, items inside shrouded in protective foam and instructions that don't look like someone just photocopied something for the thousandth time.

So, very positive initial impression, let down somewhat by the presentation and the missing allen key.

[b]Fitting[/b] - 9

Basically, it's simple. First off you take off the strings (hold the 3 point bridge when you remove the last string - there's nothing but string tension holding it in place up against the mounting bolts) and then remove the 3 point bridge. Remove the 3 bolts that were there (should just be able to use fingers) and find out which of the two types of bolt supplied with the Supertone is suitable for your inserts. Compare them visually, or try them in the hole.

To glue or not to glue? Well it's up to you. I had to because I was having the pulling out problem but you may not. If all is well and your bridge hasn't moved in 10 years then I think you'll be OK.

Basically, put it over the inserts (remember the front one is not used in this design, it just sits over the top of it), pop the bolts in the holes and tighten up using the supplied allen key. Before you fully tighten it, make sure you're well lined up.

Then you've got the joys of action and intonation. Once I had turned the place upside down for an hour and a half looking for the damn allen key to adjust the saddles (it's some weird imperial size between 1.5 and 2mm), I finally located the little pest and got to work. Thanks a lot Hipshot - your omission turned a < 1 hour job into nearly 3.

If you've worked with Hipshot A style bridges before, then you'll be in familiar territory - 2 grub screws for saddle height, 1 behind the right hand one to loosen/tighten the side to side part of the saddle which you then move by hand to the required position then tighten, sprung phillips head machine screw accessed at the back of the bridge for intonation adjustment.

[b]In use[/b] - 9

It certainly looks good fitted - what a difference it is to see a solid, chunky bridge sitting on the deck rather than the old 3 point design.

The improved adjustablity is welcome - using the old 3 point bridge, my strings didn't line up very well with the bridge pickup polepieces, but I've managed to get a bit closer now (be better if I didn't have to compensate for shoddy placement though, bah)

The improvement in sustain seemed immediately obvious to me, other improvements in tone are more subjective but I reckon the bass has a tighter, meatier sound now - more assertive and defined, less "up in the air" (like the old bridge, fnar).

It also seems to have had a slight positive effect on the renowned neck dive issue of long scale EB/SG basses. It makes sense in theory, you add extra weight at the bridge then it ought to improve the balance. It no longer makes a dive for the floor, slowed only by the friction of the wide leather strap, it gracefully descends then stays fairly level. Bonus!

The only question mark sitting over this is the potential for damage to the finish of the bass. By Hipshot's own admission - "To achieve maximum tonal transference, the SuperTone is solidly fastened to your instrument. A very slight shadow of the bridge footprint may result." Of course it will take a while for this to become apparent. This may affect your choice to apply this upgrade to a valuable vintage instrument. It is reversible as such, you could easily put back the 3 point bridge at a later date if you wish, but the paper thin lacquers of vintage instruments may not take kindly to this sudden introduction of a big piece of metal being squished down onto them. I may revisit this review at a later date and lift the Supertone off my EB-3 and report any findings I have.

I have no qualms about this potential issue - there's no way I'm going back to the 3 point bridge.

Bye bye!

[b]Overall[/b] - 8

All in all this is a worthwhile upgrade for any Gibson/Epiphone bass using the 3 point bridge. It makes the 3 point design look decidedly past its sell by date, tightens up your bass's tone, seems to have positive effects on neck dive and looks the business. The only reservations I have are the missing allen key (grr) and the potential for marking the surface of the bass, which may put off the vintage crowd. However, if you're a player then I can't see a circumstance which would compel you to go back to the old bridge.

Highly recommended by this basschatter.

Edited by neepheid

• 4 months later...

[quote name='joegarcia' post='272537' date='Aug 29 2008, 01:23 PM']Really interested in one of these. Did you get yours from Bass Parts Resource or is there a UK dealer?[/quote]

I had to order it in from BPR, couldn't find it in the UK.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='272640' date='Aug 29 2008, 03:36 PM']Ah ok. Were there any other alternatives you looked at? Anything else similar worth considering do you think?[/quote]

To be honest, it's the only direct replacement for the Gibson 3-point bridge that I've found.

BTW, you should have no worries about ordering from BPR, they're good guys and the transatlantic shipping has always been surprisingly fast for me. It's a shame the USD is recovering somewhat, but you should still get a pretty good deal.

Cool, thanks, think I've sourced one from somewhere else now though. Any chance you could do me a big favour please and measure the distance between the two screws? My pickup/bass isn't an EB-3 and I'm worried it's not gonna fit but has a similar bridge currently fitted which is rubbish but similarly has two screws in roughly the same place.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='272835' date='Aug 29 2008, 09:12 PM']Cool, thanks, think I've sourced one from somewhere else now though. Any chance you could do me a big favour please and measure the distance between the two screws? My pickup/bass isn't an EB-3 and I'm worried it's not gonna fit but has a similar bridge currently fitted which is rubbish but similarly has two screws in roughly the same place.[/quote]

Just spied this at work, I'll take a look tonight for you. Might be a good opportunity to see if there's been any marking on the surface of the body now that it's been on a few months.

• 1 month later...

Bumpidy bump, having bought a second hand Epi T-bird and finding the E is rather close to the edge I'm looking for an adjustable bridge. *Should* fit even with the T-birds soaps, but measurements would be nice before I try and obtain one.

Btw, Joe, where did you source yours from, it's nearly £100 to get one shipped from BPR due to low value of the £ to $ now.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got mine today, in black for my T-bird.

I'll 2nd the well built comments, but raise the fact that while I got the saddle tightening allen key, I didn't get the mounting bolt one or the instructions! Huzzah!

Gonna have to source an allen key the correct thickness as I've not gone one and thanks to the alignment being slightly off by about a 0.5 mm, I can't hand tighten them either, one's flush but the other is half out. Bummer.

I wouldn't mind but with the2 sets of bolts, one's thicker than the other, but the thicker ones have slightly smaller holes for the allen key, I can bodge a screw driver to fit those, the small bodied bolts have larger holes which I can't bodge. Double bummer.

Looks proper lush though, and the adjustment is a godsend as either my neck or my bridge wasn't aligned properly when the bass was made, E string is very near the edge of the fretboard.

[quote name='Buzz' post='379286' date='Jan 13 2009, 04:37 PM']I got mine today, in black for my T-bird.

I'll 2nd the well built comments, but raise the fact that while I got the saddle tightening allen key, I didn't get the mounting bolt one or the instructions! Huzzah!

Gonna have to source an allen key the correct thickness as I've not gone one and thanks to the alignment being slightly off by about a 0.5 mm, I can't hand tighten them either, one's flush but the other is half out. Bummer.

I wouldn't mind but with the2 sets of bolts, one's thicker than the other, but the thicker ones have slightly smaller holes for the allen key, I can bodge a screw driver to fit those, the small bodied bolts have larger holes which I can't bodge. Double bummer.

Looks proper lush though, and the adjustment is a godsend as either my neck or my bridge wasn't aligned properly when the bass was made, E string is very near the edge of the fretboard.[/quote]

If you want to seek out your own, I think it's an imperial size - 3/16". If you can't find one then let me know and you can borrow mine.

This is a bit disappointing, it seems their mistake with mine wasn't a one-off ;)

[quote name='Buzz' post='379286' date='Jan 13 2009, 04:37 PM']Looks proper lush though, and the adjustment is a godsend as either my neck or my bridge wasn't aligned properly when the bass was made, E string is very near the edge of the fretboard.[/quote]

Can't you whip out the saddle piece and turn the little bar around so the slot is toward the other side? Unless it already is.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just fitted one to my Jack Casady, sourced through Skelf (Alan of ACG) through this very forum.

Haven't given it a good workout yet so can't comment on any sonic changes, but there's a great improvement in sustain, plus the ability to adjust each string's height more comprehensively is a big plus for me. Recommended.