Why become a member? ×

What guitar amp for people who do not know how to work things

Owen

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1336060098' post='1640327']
They wouldn't though, because they would have to pay up or get out.
[/quote]

If you know who they are. Which takes considerable resources, burden of proof is on the educational establishment. Valve amps in particular are not forgiving of apparently minor acts of clumsiness, students can surely learn this on their own equipment. In the meantime something SS and reliable will address both the constant stream of damaged equipment and the need to monitor constantly everything they do while allowing them to still actually have a go at making music. I'd go Peavey over nearly anything else I could think of in that sense; certainly with the kit I've seen, when opened up they're more robustly put together than a lot of offerings from Fender, Marshall and the like. I dislike nearly every other aspect of them but hey!

The problems Owen talks about are probably not so much indicative of general 'failings of society', but very specific failings of society to project an image where 'rock' is equated with 'moderate and careful treatment of unusually fragile (in some ways) electronics'. Can't think how this happened... :rolleyes:

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1336154685' post='1641936']
Can't think how this happened... :rolleyes:[/quote]

[size=3]Uncle Pete respecting his gear.[/size]

[color=#ffffff][size=3].[/size][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1336152419' post='1641881']
Ahem. First reply y'know
[/quote]

Guilty as charged, and with due apologies and pleas of mitigation (see below), etc.! :(

For the record I had actually read the thread (honest!) - I just forgot. You may care to think of it as a senior moment and take it upon yourself to be appropriately lenient when sentencing.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1336080511' post='1640744']
I believe that science courses have more funding than arts courses due to the higher costs involved. There is wear and tear on kit in all disciplines. I am not happy about it. That is why I am looking for more robust replacements.
[/quote]

As a teacher and Physicist.... I have sympathy for both viewpoints, real world science is expensive, kit is not cheap. If you think amps are expensive try kitting out laboratories for science at GCSE and A level, never mind degree courses and higher. Arts courses, such as music are also expensive if they use kit. Sadly we are in very frugal times.

Edited by 3below

Hah hah. Forgiven ;) I'm just amazed it's not a thread full of people saying 'bandit'
;)

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1336158089' post='1642001']

Guilty as charged, and with due apologies and pleas of mitigation (see below), etc.! :(

For the record I had actually read the thread (honest!) - I just forgot. You may care to think of it as a senior moment and take it upon yourself to be appropriately lenient when sentencing.
[/quote]

In my college, the rehearsal rooms are kitted with those little orange tube amps, ashdown bass amps, roland electronic drums and small peavey PA's and now and again a keyboard. The only things that get broken are the cymbals on the electronic drum kits, everything else lasts. Even the larger mesa, ampeg, fender and marshall tube amps in the live room havent had anything go wrong yet. I dont get how students(myself included) would abuse equipment that they use.

get the peavey or whatever people/you suggest. then stick the valve amps in your office and if a guitarist after a year or so can demonstrate they can take care of their gear they get to borrow the valve amp for their practice and stick it back afterwards.

+1 to anything SS peavey, made like tanks.

Althoughg I would do my bit as an educator and teach them the inner working of a valve amp and amps in general.

One of my biggest gripes when gigging is musos who can't operate gear. No matter how many times I tell someone the master volume is the only knob tio turn they'll still loook confused. both of the guitarists can't work anything and even ask which way effects pedals go round......

• 2 weeks later...

My college chained the amps to the wall/shelf so they couldn't be moved. That would prevent damage resulting of them being moved about (like valves falling out or being moved whilst hot).

The teaching people to turn an amp on and leave it on until it's warmed up shouldn't be a problem. Anyone flicking a power switch on and off repeatedly is obviously doing it to deliberately cause damage once it's been explained and people that are intentionally damaging college equipment should have action of some sort taken against them anyway. Moving gear around is theoretically fair enough though, moving amps to get them to face each other, swapping rooms etc. Chaining the amps down then having the keys available to anyone that needs them (tutors, that is, who can lend them to trusted students) should fix that.

I'd still go with SS amps though, college amps take a lot of wear and tear even if they're used properly, there's no reason to have to fund valves and the like just because they sound marginally nicer. I own a Bandit and echo other peoples' suggestion of that. :)

Edited by ThomBassmonkey