Why become a member? ×

Strings Direct

TheGreek

I've been looking to buy a set of Black tapewound/Nylon wound strings in a light gauge - lightest I could find were D'Aggios with a 0.58 - but this is far too heavy for me.. I fired off an email to Strings Direct for a bit of advice yesterday afternoon - went to my emails this morning and found a reply from Paul Jefford from Strings Direct advising that he may be able to have a light set made up especially for me!!

I rang and spoke to Paul - lovely fella - found him really helpful - he's going to speak directly to some manufacturers to see whether producing a light gauge is possible/economically viable.

I often complain when I get poor service but at the same time when somebody is prepared to go that extra mile I'm more than happy to sing the praises of those concerned..

[b]Just like to say, many thanks to Paul Jefford at Strings Direct for, what can only be described as, excellent customer service!![/b]

Anybody else also looking for some lighter gauge wound strings might want to contact Paul:
[color=#555555][left][email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email] [/left][/color]

[sub]+1 for me on this one too.[/sub]
[sub]Gave me a special deal when i price matched him against himself. Was a mistake on their part but he honoured it without question and even gave me a better price than best one advertised.[/sub]
[sub]Not many companies like that these days[/sub]

[sub]Well done Paul.[/sub]

[sub]Cheers[/sub]
[sub]Dave[/sub]

I`ve ordered many things from these guys over the years, and the items always turn up very promptly indeed. Had one item go missing in transit - which isn`t their fault - and this was dealt with very well. Can`t fault Strings Direct.

Huge +1 for Stringbusters too. I was looking for a 6 string set of Light gauge Elixir strings for my Overwater and the full set didn't fit with the B string. When i contacted them they asked me to provide a full set of measurements and they sent me what i needed.
great service from these guys too

Dave

I've dealt with Paul and Co many times and can't speak more highly of them.

The only time that I've had a problem was with a set of Rotosound Swing Bass strings where the D string had a funny "rattle", a replacement arrived the following morning. He always responds quickly to e-mails as well which is a major plus point in my books.

Their physical shop is not far from me, and they've always been just as great in person. (Having massive range of strings and accessories at hand also means I always end up picking up lots of bits-and-bobs while I'm there!)

• 4 months later...

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1335960700' post='1638593']
Been dealing with Strings Direct for years. Never any problems, always quick delivery even to N.Ireland.
[/quote]

seconded! i have put orders in to them in the early hours of friday mornings before, and come home from work on a saturday to find a lovely fresh set of strings waiting for me :) not once have i had an issue, and the prices are great! and it seems this is the general consensus. i have massive respect for a company like this, working for a company operating in the same way. (i suppose i empathise with the guys who work there :D). although i do still like to get my strings locally sometimes, just to support local music shops. i would go to strings direct for something other than ernie balls or rotosound though.

Strings Direct / Holiday Music,

Have been dealing with Steve since the mid 70's, bought loads of amps, cabs, basses and recently guitars for my son. Never had any problems and they will always go the extra mile to keep theirs customers happy & loyal.

Had a few dealings direct with Paul as well over the years who even managed to get made for me, a set of strings for my short scale (30") 8 & 4 string twin neck Birch / Ricky !!
Not many dealers would go to that sort of trouble !!

So a BIG + 1 for Strings Direct & Holiday Music.

P.s, they also do a great guitar set up on site :)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1335869970' post='1637148']
I've been looking to buy a set of Black tapewound/Nylon wound strings in a light gauge - lightest I could find were D'Aggios with a 0.58 - but this is far too heavy for me...
[/quote]
Isn't the G string in the D'Addario black nylon set a 50 and not a 58?

Also, despite the gauges (50-65-85-105), the D'Addario black nylons are low tension at 141.2 lbs - comparable with low tension TI Jazz Flats (43-56-70-100) at 140.19 lbs - so if you are going to use the top four strings from a six-string set, isn't the tension going to be very very low? Or am I missing something?

... and I've never had a problem with Strings Direct or Stringbusters or Just Strings or Lord of the Strings.

Edited by EssentialTension

• 4 weeks later...

Might be a bit late to the party here but Status Hot Wires do black nylon/tapewound strings 40-100and 45-105.

Having said that just ordered a set of La Bella tapewounds from Stringbusters. Always had good dealings with them and superfast delivery.

This is the only place I buy from. Gave up buying from shops when I got my 6-string, being my 2nd bass that's a VERY long time I've been a customer. :-)
I also bought a bass from there once because it was long discontinued, yet they managed to have one. It kinda got confused by the central hub but they worked together with me to track it and make sure it got here, which it did a week later.

They delivery times on strings are still the same. As long as you order before last carriage they will arrive the next day. The box will fit through a leter box so if you are away they'll still deliver, although I'm sure they are getting bigger. X-D

[quote name='mrdirtyrob' timestamp='1336061613' post='1640359']
Stringsdirect are great, but I wish their website was a bit easier to navigate if you don't know exactly what you want... Minor problem though. I suppose it's just because they have such a massive range of strings.
[/quote]
+1 here too - searching and filtering the items on the website doesn't seem to work very well but the service, prices and delivery times are excellent. Only had one problem so far (they sent round strap buttons instead of the oval ones I ordered) but that was rectified quickly.