Why become a member? ×

scratchplate material...? Would polished stainless steel be OK? or must it be plastic?

Jabba The Hutt

Folks,

I have a 2009 Musicman Stingray HS and the I wanted to change the scratchplate because the current one is badly worn.
My colleague has offered to make me a new one from mirror polished stainless steel which I think would look ace.

Will this material be ok with the pick-ups or does it have to be plastic? I can't get an off the shelf replacement because HS scratchplates are harder to come by it seems. OK if you're in the US but not if you're in the UK.

My apologies for asking such a basic question this but I wanted to check with you more knowledgeable folk before getting it made only to find out that this material will affect the operation of my bass. If stainless steel is OK should the scratchplate's mounting surface be lined with any other material??

Please can you advise.

Many thanks & regards,

Lionel

Coincidently I stood on my lead on Friday whilst running across the stage resulting in a broken scratchplate, and as I have a load of stainless plate in the workshop I thought I'd make one today, and see what it looks like. I can't imagine there's going to be any problems - some scratchplates are shielded on the inside with foil anyway, but If there's any issues I'll let you know.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1335771981' post='1635570']
Do they not a weigh a sh*t load?
[/quote]

A point I was about to clarify. I had a P bass with a polished SS pickguard. Weighed a lot. (looked cool as f*ck though and easy to keep shiny :D)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1335771981' post='1635570']
Do they not a weigh a sh*t load?
[/quote]

Just tried the chrome (on steel by the looks of it) one that I've had hanging on the workshop wall for ages on my digi scales... [b]45.2g[/b]

... bought it off one of the mods off here come to think of it