Why become a member? ×

Fender P-Bass comparison. Guess which is which!

Miki Groove

[quote name='Miki Groove' timestamp='1335747064' post='1635470']
Just a note:

People pays between 4.000$ and 20.000$ for a original pre-CBS.
The value of a mint condition '71 P-Bass like this is 3.000$ aprox.
The value of a '00 P-Bass MiM is about 300$.

And you, bass players, are not sure of which is which... something's wrong... hahaha
[/quote]

That's the value to 'investors' for vintage stuff. 'Players' just want something that sounds good. So if you had the choice of a loan ,to record an album, of a 62 P bass that sounded awful or a Squier that sounded great, most would go for the Squier.

Put a Wizard thumper in a Squier bass and you'll get it sounding like a 62 P.

I prefer the first clip, it sounds clearer than the rest... Then comes the 3rd clip. Don't like the 2nd clip much but then the strings are old!

I don't know much about Fenders at all so i daren't guess.. But I'd love to know which is which!

Should have chucked a Squier, or maybe even a Sue Ryder into the mix as well to make things really interesting! ;)

[quote name='Miki Groove' timestamp='1335752323' post='1635482']
Tomorrow you'll get the answer :)
[/quote]

Awesome! Really intrigued now after re-listening to the clips... The playing seemed cleaner on the intricate parts in the first one so I would guess that the setup and build quality were better on it!

[quote name='Miki Groove' timestamp='1335747064' post='1635470']
Just a note:

People pays between 4.000$ and 20.000$ for a original pre-CBS.
The value of a mint condition '71 P-Bass like this is 3.000$ aprox.
The value of a '00 P-Bass MiM is about 300$.

And you, bass players, are not sure of which is which... something's wrong... hahaha
[/quote]
Yeah, well from my point of view the 2nd clip (my favourite) could have been any good sounding P with well broken in strings. Bit of a shame you didn't use the same strings on them all, but it also goes to show the importance of strings over the lumps of wood IMO.

Then again, music is a soulful thing and if playing something old makes you feel the vibe better then more power to you. I would love to own and play a pre-CBS Jazz and Precision, but not because I'm convinced they sound sooooo much better than a current well made bass.

And of course there's the slight issue of supply and demand to help explain the differences in price.
In the end - if it sounds right and feels right it's all good to me.

I'm actually not into precisions at all, so I just can guess. but I enjoyed listening to your cool chops a lot.
1-'00
2-'71
3-'58

I'd probably like no. 2 best if it hadn't dead strings, but for me 3 is the most beefiest one.

What fantastic playing. Liked the "grind" on all of them. What were you playing through? Sansamp?

My favorites in order were 2, 3, 1. 2 sounded deeper and more rich than the others, 1 sounded a bit thin. Would be very happy with any of them though!

Having never even owned a Fender (I play an Ibby Blazer), I would guess 1 = 00, 2 = 58 3 = 71.

J

Nice playing on all the clips - just proves that a good player can make a relatively humble bass (the MIM) sound great...

My preference (I'm terrible at identifying different types of bass, let alone different vintages) is 2, 3, 1. I've no idea which is which. One things for certain, if 2 turns out to be the MIM, I'm straight off to to the classifieds to buy one :)

My guess

1 58 - it sounds like new strings - it is very clean but obviously played on a comfortable well setup player
2 MIM - dull sound lifeless yes old strings but sounds more than just a function of the strings - it sounds difficult to play on this bass
3 71 - has the 70s punch and pop befitting of the style of music being played - this clip sounds 'proper'

Edited by Twigman

How about that! My favourite was actually the MIM! it sounds extremely similar to the '58... certainly wouldn't sound any different in the mix! I know what I would go for ;)

That was really cool man, more threads like this would be ... well.. more fun!

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='Miki Groove' timestamp='1335831604' post='1636807']
Ok guys, here's the answer:

Part 1: Fender '00 Made in Mexico P-Bass
Part 2: Fender '71 P-Bass
Part 3: Fender '58 P-Bass

:)
[/quote]

OK, I guessed them all wrong.
If they had all had Maple necks I would of got it right lol.
Nice playing, they all sound great, think I liked the 58 best.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1335744597' post='1635452']
1. MM more twangy less thump

2. 58 Very thumpy with what I would say was the perfect woody P bass sound

3. 71 Also very thumpy and P bass sounding... very nice.

They are all good in their own way. But I like the vintage sound of No 2 best.
[/quote]

As above

Edit - just seen the answer, though purposely didn`t look for it before adding my opinion. Am very surprised at the thickness and middiness of the 71 P Bass - thought 70s Ps were meant to be more scooped sounding - as per the third section sounded to me.

Edited by Lozz196

Looks like I'm gonna have to try to get some cash together for an early 70's p.... Or then maybe I should just stick with the Blazer, which I think sounds quite similar!! :) Would be nice to see a comparison of 70's / 80's japcrap P-bass copies vs Fender.