Why become a member? ×

Laney Nexus

BMBR

I've been mucking around with one for the last few weeks..... I work for the distributor and was interested in comparing against my usual head. It's very versatile and gives a great pallet of sounds.... it's just to heavy for my needs really. I know that it's gaining great reputation on the metal/heavy rock community. I'm told that Glenn Hughes uses them exclusively now

I had one for a few months but got rid of it for two reasons. First it was just to heavy to gig, after a long set the last thing you need is to carry the beast to the car. Second the build was poor, the tolex covering was so thin it started to tear and split after a few times in the boot of my car.

But... It sounded fantastic, real tube tone with an amazing preamp that allowed any sound to be dialled in.

If I had a good back I would get one again.

[quote name='voxpop' timestamp='1335630212' post='1634018']
I had one for a few months but got rid of it for two reasons. First it was just to heavy to gig, after a long set the last thing you need is to carry the beast to the car. Second the build was poor, the tolex covering was so thin it started to tear and split after a few times in the boot of my car.

But... It sounded fantastic, real tube tone with an amazing preamp that allowed any sound to be dialled in.

If I had a good back I would get one again.
[/quote]

Was the general build bad, or just the tolex?

It appears to be rackmountable, the sleeve is made pretty well for carrying, proper handles. Preamp is fiddly, but you can shut off most of it. You can also shut off all of it, giving no sound, which is a bit worrying when you are trying to demo it. It isn't very heavy for a 400w valve head. Used one recording the Caricatures album, then traded for one later on. Moved on due to vintage head overload. Wouldn't be afraid of using one now.

Thanks for the feedback guys - am mindful of the weight but guess it's good exercise :) Anyone know of a good valve head out there that gives the sound but is more portable ? I'll try out a Nexus properly anyway - from demos it seems awesome.

[quote name='BMBR' timestamp='1335694807' post='1634583']
Thanks for the feedback guys - am mindful of the weight but guess it's good exercise :) Anyone know of a good valve head out there that gives the sound but is more portable ? I'll try out a Nexus properly anyway - from demos it seems awesome.
[/quote]

From what i've heard on here the Orange Terror bass does a very good valve sound but is tiny and lightweight,

Thought about maybe the Nexus Fet?

I'm still tossing up between the Nexus Fet and Nexus Tube but from experience it seems the sound of driving KT88 valves in the power section I like!

[quote name='BMBR' timestamp='1335694807' post='1634583']
[/quote]

The Nexus is very flexible, so it has lots of sounds. Means knob twiddling to get it, but shutting them off for clean, you don't really get varieties of clean, it heads towards not clean.

Edit: Also 400w takes a lot to drive.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

• 10 months later...

Bump. *blows off dust*

I too am looking quite seriously at one of these. Was tempted to look for a smaller head, but I didn't like the tone of the Terror Bass, and the Ashdown LB's are only 30W.

So: I just recorded an album through the studio's Fender Bassman. Loved the tone, particularly as I could get a bit John Entwistle / Lemmy with it. I've normally looked to Laneys when buying amps because I feel I can trust them and I like the tone. Can any owners or previous users suggest whether I might regret trading in my RB8 and investing in a Nexus head and 115 cab*?

* after saving up for a few months, of course...

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1363639277' post='2015192']
If you go to the reviews section you'll see my review of the NX115 cab
[/quote]
Think I've found it: "Its not even remotely clear and hifi-like...those with Alembics or other high end gear looking for a clear tone just stop reading cos this one ain't for you alright?" - this sounds very promising. Good review, by the way, it basically told me everything I wanted to know. Glad to hear it copes well with your T-bird as well - I'm mostly gigging with my Epi EB-3 at the moment so it's reassuring to know it can cope with passive humbuckers.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1363643523' post='2015317']
Nexus is really very far from a trad Fender Bassman. So much headroom for starters.
[/quote]
Well, it is 400W compared with 200W(?), I guess. I probably couldn't have gigged that Bassman without quite a bit of bolstering from the PA. And I'd probably be connecting it to a 115 instead of a 212. Still, Delbert's review suggests it's likely to give me the sort of valve-y dirt I'm after. Whether it has the same sweet qualities I found in the Fender, well, I guess only a trip to GAK will tell...

Which Fender bassman was it? Most of the classics aren't much more than 100w. The not very loud will be down to the speakers not the power. But the Laney has much more everything, not just power. The dirt will come from the preamp with that much power though, so carrying the power section might be massive waste of energy.

Sadly I don't know! Though from looking online, I think the fact that it was in blonde tolex dates it to the early '60s - so you're right, it would probably only have been 50W. (Not sure where I got 200 from!)

The weight could likely be an issue, though - apparently the head is almost as twice as heavy as the 1x15 cab I've been eyeing up! I know a lot of people would suggest an Orange Tiny Terror when this question is bought up, but I have to say I wasn't blown away by the one I tried. And unfortunately the Ashdown Little Bastard only comes as a 30W (last I heard the 550 was only a limited run).

On the other hand, for those gigs where we're actually bringing all/most of our own gear, we'd probably throw it all in the car anyway. So perhaps a 36kg head becomes less of a problem then. Thinking out loud now, feel free to ignore me.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1363708457' post='2016292'] Sadly I don't know! Though from looking online, I think the fact that it was in blonde tolex dates it to the early '60s - so you're right, it would probably only have been 50W. (Not sure where I got 200 from!) The weight could likely be an issue, though - apparently the head is almost as twice as heavy as the 1x15 cab I've been eyeing up! I know a lot of people would suggest an Orange Tiny Terror when this question is bought up, but I have to say I wasn't blown away by the one I tried. And unfortunately the Ashdown Little Bastard only comes as a 30W (last I heard the 550 was only a limited run). On the other hand, for those gigs where we're actually bringing all/most of our own gear, we'd probably throw it all in the car anyway. So perhaps a 36kg head becomes less of a problem then. Thinking out loud now, feel free to ignore me. [/quote]

Oh, go and buy one!

(I won't mention Matamp though)

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1363708457' post='2016292']
Sadly I don't know! Though from looking online, I think the fact that it was in blonde tolex dates it to the early '60s - so you're right, it would probably only have been 50W. (Not sure where I got 200 from!)

The weight could likely be an issue, though - apparently the head is almost as twice as heavy as the 1x15 cab I've been eyeing up! I know a lot of people would suggest an Orange Tiny Terror when this question is bought up, but I have to say I wasn't blown away by the one I tried. And unfortunately the Ashdown Little Bastard only comes as a 30W (last I heard the 550 was only a limited run).

On the other hand, for those gigs where we're actually bringing all/most of our own gear, we'd probably throw it all in the car anyway. So perhaps a 36kg head becomes less of a problem then. Thinking out loud now, feel free to ignore me.
[/quote]

Plenty of 100w vintage heads about that are not super heavy, not compared to the Nexus anyway. You could swing by and try a bunch if you happen to be near bristol.

[quote name='shinhoman' timestamp='1363792350' post='2017716']
You mention the Ashdown LB only being 30w, but I wouldn't rule the brand out entirely. Ashdown have 15w, 30w, 100w, 200w, 300w, 400w, and 427w valve heads...
[/quote]

Oh, I realise they have a wide range, and I certainly wouldn't rule out an Ashdown. The trouble is that all these other models are 'normal-sized' - the appeal of the LB was its size! Of course, if these other ones weigh less than the Nexus' alleged 36kg then they will certainly appeal. (Time I did a little more research, methinks.)