Why become a member? ×

Best Cheap Overdrive?

LiamPodmore

HI all,

Looking to get a drive pedal for the board i'm building at the moment, but not looking to spend so much. I'm eventually planning on getting a VT Deluxe, so if there's anything like that what goes for less than £50 (New or used) i'd be quite happy with that. I know there's the usual offerings from Boss etc.. but i'm not that much of a fan of the ODB-3 sounds. For now i'm thinking more of a light gain just to add a bit more to my Behringer so i don't have to keep changing settings.

Thanks in advance,

Liam

I know it's all too common for people to recommend something they're using themselves... But try and get hold of a Marshall Jackhammer! It sounds great on bass with low or high gain settings, has a 2 band EQ and an adjustable mid scoopy contour thing going on. Would pair well with your BDI21 :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1335439029' post='1631044']
I know it's all too common for people to recommend something they're using themselves... But try and get hold of a Marshall Jackhammer! It sounds great on bass with low or high gain settings, has a 2 band EQ and an adjustable mid scoopy contour thing going on. Would pair well with your BDI21 :)
[/quote]

Just listened to a few youtube videos of this on bass and i quite like the sound of it at low gain, something very close to what i'm after actually.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1335439175' post='1631048']
A modded Digitech Bad Monkey sounds right up your street. Even unmodded they're meant to be fairly nice on Bass.
[/quote]

Again, just had a listen to a few youtube videos and this doesn't sound too bad, although it seems a bit too much like the higher gain settings on my Behringer for my tastes, but thanks for the quick reply. Might pick one up and have a play with it anyway.

Liam

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1335442817' post='1631153']
ive just GIVEN away a colorsound tonebender

if youd told me about that Tigger costume i might have offered a swap :gas:
[/quote]

That's quite gutting, and £12 from your local Primark, i've not worn it on stage yet, but i am going to soon.

Liam

being chatham we have the coutnry's biggest primark - im sure theyll have one [i]even[/i] in my size

youve given me a really wicked idea - im playing bass for one of the local singer/songwriter acts at a weekender event soon - am sooooo tempted to go onstage for charideee in a tigger costume

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1335439898' post='1631074']Again, just had a listen to a few youtube videos and this doesn't sound too bad, although it seems a bit too much like the higher gain settings on my Behringer for my tastes, but thanks for the quick reply. Might pick one up and have a play with it anyway.
[/quote]

The Bad Monkey can do low gain barely-overdriven sounds, which is where it sounds best. It sounds similar to the BB Preamp.

I have a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ODB-3. In most bands I play in (function bands, original pop, folk, acoustic acts) it really isn't a necessity, just a colour for one or two songs. However, when I do get to stamp that bright yellow pedal, it sounds great. I don't like anything too crunchy just an extra edge to the sound so I don't blow everyone's ears off.[/font][/color]