Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Afterburner ABZ 6 String Bass

Dood

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqmFcuRgEUY&feature=g-all-u&context=G275d7aeFAAAAAAAAAAA[/media]

My review of the Dingwall Afterburner ABZ 6 string bass. The link to the full magazine article is in the YouTube video comments.

I try not to do anything 'widely' in any of the videos. You'd rather listen and see the bass than me 'woodshedding'!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1335032597' post='1625078']
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqmFcuRgEUY&feature=g-all-u&context=G275d7aeFAAAAAAAAAAA[/media]

My review of the Dingwall Afterburner ABZ 6 string bass. The link to the full magazine article is in the YouTube video comments.

I try not to do anything 'widely' in any of the videos. You'd rather listen and see the bass than me 'woodshedding'!
[/quote]

Dan, you say that the bass has a laminate maple neck. Which wood is the laminate maple covering?

I must admit, in my ignorance I thought that laminate woods were something only budget instruments used, so I'm suprised that it's used on a high end bass like a Dingwall.

Edited by skej21

Hi! Neck laminating is nothing new and it's a great technique for making a very strong neck that is less prone to warping ( as each piece of laminate can either be a different type of wood, or for example have the grain rotated). In terms of it's useage, the very best basses, including Shuker, Fodera etc use multilaminate necks. Both of my basses have a seven piece laminate of Maple and Wenge.
The Dingwall here is seperate pieces all of top quality Maple, with a very sexy piece of Maple for the fretboard.

When we refer to 'laminates' it doesn't have to refer to a skin layer of something nice looking over the top of an ugly or boring tonewood. For a Bass neck, the laminates are nice big healthy chunks of wood bonded together for strength and tonal properties. I hope this helps!

Brilliant review dood, thanks!

I can't get over the amount of sheer oomph these basses seem to have considering they are passive. When you had the tone rolled right up it would have buried most active basses i reckon!

Good work.. :)

Yep, they're monsters for passive - I love a series switch (I've had them wired in all my two-pickup bitsas) but the range available with those four settings is fantastic. The tone control seems to be so much more than just a passive cut, too. Not sure if Dood mentioned in the video, but they're super-light: mine (an ABZ4) weighs 7lbs 9oz on my digital scales, which makes a massive difference on a long gig/rehearsal. My bass GAS is pretty much done.

Hi guys!

Yes, it was a superb bass. Actually one of the best basses I have reviewed. It would have come home with me if I could've gotten away with it. Muzz, you are so right! it's crazy to think so much tone was coming off such a pleasantly light bass.