Why become a member? ×

A fuzz that combines well with octave for a nice synthy sound?

1976fenderhead

Thinking of replacing my Bass Micro Synth with separate pedals... I don't have an octave pedal at the moment but tried the octaver model in the Line 6 M5 into my sfx Micro Fuzz and thought it didn't sound that great, which is a shame because I love the Micro Fuzz on its own... Tried different settings in each by the way.

So what's a fuzz that combines well with an octaver? Any suggestions?

Edited by 1976fenderhead

One of my favourite fuzzes with an octave to get that synth sound is actually the MXR Blowtorch. I dont like the pedal on its own, but kick that octave in and I think it sounds awesome.

Same thing with the Oxide too. On its own i find it too boxy and spitty, but its great for the good ol' octave > fuzz > filter combo.

Edited by deej

I used to own the MXR and I really liked it... It was quite 'rocky' and aggressive though which didn't work for me in the music I was playing. It's certainly a pedal I'd recommend though. The Aguilar is smoother and synthier - the closed to the OC2 I have used. It's filter is unique, allowing you to use it for sub-like tones rather than a full range sound as well. I like it as it performs a specific task for me - sub under my main sound. Both are great but voiced VERY differently.

As the MXR has access to much more mid growl though it does sound pretty badass with a good overdrive or fuzz after it!

I think the nice thing about the OC-2 is that you can add to it if you need a more aggressive sound. I often find if I need a bit of bite I add my Bugcrusher on a light setting, just to give it some electronic kzzzthff! to liven it up. Sounds ace. So yeah, maybe consider an IE Frantabit too, because Bugcrushers are fairly rare.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1334781986' post='1621319']
I used to own the MXR and I really liked it... It was quite 'rocky' and aggressive though which didn't work for me in the music I was playing. It's certainly a pedal I'd recommend though. The Aguilar is smoother and synthier - the closed to the OC2 I have used. It's filter is unique, allowing you to use it for sub-like tones rather than a full range sound as well. I like it as it performs a specific task for me - sub under my main sound. Both are great but voiced VERY differently.

As the MXR has access to much more mid growl though it does sound pretty badass with a good overdrive or fuzz after it!
[/quote]

I'm going off my own topic here, but what about tracking, did you find one better than the other on that?

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1334877710' post='1622986']

I'm going off my own topic here, but what about tracking, did you find one better than the other on that?
[/quote]

Not in my experience. Analogue octaves all seem to do the same thing... A passive output (or active with the volume rolled back) seems to perform better... Usually rules apply (ply higher up the neck/single notes only etc).

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1334877710' post='1622986']
[/quote]

i've recently been investigating octave pedals...
for me [i]by far[/i] the best tracking was the MXR bod, spot on every time.
the aguilar and the boss oc-2 track about the same, which i would describe as ok tracking, not great but very useable.
the aguilar in particular seemed to flake out on open strings and certain other notes, but i expect all these pedals might behave quite differently depending on strings and pickups etc. playing style too.

i also thought the MXR was the best sounding and most synth sounding but it has a little noise issue - low level clicking when no note is coming through. another guy told me on this forum that theirs was silent but i demo'd a new MXR today and it had exactly the same issue, so not quite sure what to make of that. its pretty subtle but for me i found it a bit annoying.

anyway, back on topic - i picked a zoom ultra fuzz but not had much luck getting a synth tone from it but only played around for about half an hour today. will try again tomorrow!

Edited by ted_manzie

I was using a Boss ODB-3 into an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe for nice synth sounds with a very short-lived Electronica outfit. (bringing an envelope filter to the party created something quite special I can tell you!) I ended up selling the BOD a few weeks ago as I wasn't using it but I've decided to reinvest in one as they're excellent pedals.

Initially I had some issues with tracking but after posting on this forum it was suggested I have my set-up looked at. After that there were no problems at all with tracking. Brilliant pedal.

I've since purchased an El Grande and am using that with a filter for some heavy duty synth bass! I can't wait to hook that lot up to the BOD too! :)

[quote name='johnDeereJack' timestamp='1335346053' post='1629475']
I was using a Boss ODB-3 into an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe for nice synth sounds with a very short-lived Electronica outfit. (bringing an envelope filter to the party created something quite special I can tell you!) I ended up selling the BOD a few weeks ago as I wasn't using it but I've decided to reinvest in one as they're excellent pedals.

Initially I had some issues with tracking but after posting on this forum it was suggested I have my set-up looked at. After that there were no problems at all with tracking. Brilliant pedal.

I've since purchased an El Grande and am using that with a filter for some heavy duty synth bass! I can't wait to hook that lot up to the BOD too! :)
[/quote]

the El Grande looks great - just watched the demo.
do you gate the fuzz or put a noise suppressor in between the fuzz and the filter?

the BODs got a great sound! - are you not having the noise issue i was getting [i]at all[/i]? (its pretty subtle)...

Following advice here and some consequent video watching on youtube, and considering I usually can't be bothered to get pedals that are boutique or a bit harder to find, I've purchased a Blowtorch and will see how it sounds with the M5's octaver today (I intend to buy a proper octaver once I've settled on the distortion).

I listened to samples and reviews of the suggested pedals and this one seemed like one of the most gated synthy ones. I also listened to the El Grande and the new Bass Fuzz Deluxe and was surprised to find I'd much rather have the El Grande, is it just me or that deluxe fuzz really sounds like poo? I just can't find a review with an acceptable sound, let alone a great sound!

I considered the El Grande because of the space it would save and the fact it only needs 9v, but it just didn't sound nearly as synthy as the Blowtorch on those videos and samples...

I also used to have a Zoom Ultra Fuzz and agree it should work pretty well for this, but sadly I sold it and would now like to try something new. It was an awesome fuzz though!

So let's see how it goes, I shall report back, and thanks for the suggestions everyone :)

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='ted_manzie' timestamp='1335347277' post='1629506']
the El Grande looks great - just watched the demo.
do you gate the fuzz or put a noise suppressor in between the fuzz and the filter?

the BODs got a great sound! - are you not having the noise issue i was getting [i]at all[/i]? (its pretty subtle)...
[/quote]

No noise suppressor or gate - I just run the El Grande into the M82.
You do have to keep an eye on the settings but it works really well for me at least and apart from slight tracking issues with the BOD I never experienced any other unwanted effects such as the noise issue you were experiencing.
Can't wait to get my new one tomoro. Wish I'd never sold my original now!

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1335348782' post='1629538']
I also listened to the El Grande and the new Bass Fuzz Deluxe and was surprised to find I'd much rather have the El Grande, is it just me or that deluxe fuzz really sounds like poo? I just can't find a review with an acceptable sound, let alone a great sound!
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. What with looking for a fuzz pedal I was really excited about the new Bass Fuzz Deluxe (I really like MXR gear!) and was toying with the idea of giving the El Grande a miss in favour of this but soooooo glad I didn't. Like you say; it's not good so I'm glad I went with the El Grande. Another great MXR pedal IMHO! :)

Edited by johnDeereJack

[quote name='johnDeereJack' timestamp='1335373930' post='1630161']
No noise suppressor or gate - I just run the El Grande into the M82.
[/quote]

That's odd, don't 99% of people run the octaver into the fuzz?

I have to say from my testing yesterday I didn't find a satisfactory result with either direction. I'm quite happy with the Blowtorch when comparing with the Microsynth with octaves off, however when I bring the lower octave up in the Microsynth, I still haven't been able to surpass that sound with the Blowtorch plus the octave in the M5. It may of course just be the case the octave in the M5 isn't that great... but either using it after or before the fuzz, I didn't get a result as good as with the Microsynth.

I was also hoping I could sell my SFX Micro Fuzz but upon comparing, I'll be keeping both. The Micro Fuzz is not as full-sounding but is very punchy, focused and defined, great for fast defined notes as they all come out clear. The Blowtorch is fuller, very versatile and better a for synth sound, though not as clear-sounding in fast playing.