Why become a member? ×

MM Reflex

shizznit

This is probably the only MM bass I haven't played and very hard to find in stock anywhere in the UK. Not really interested in buying one, but very intrigued about them. Does a BC member have one? What is it like? The pickup switching and EQ system looks mental!

I have owned a MM 25th Anniversary 5 strings model HSS which is what the Reflex was renamed to after the 25th anni period ended.

What it is, it's a very nice bass, heavy, but with loads of sonic variants, you can have active / passive / series / parallel and a wide number of pickup combinations because every single pickup has an on off button. The neck is not different from a stingray 5 and it has 22 frets not 24.

The wood for the body is ash with a centre mahogany tone block that runs from the pickup cavities to the neck joint. Things I disliked about that bass was the string retainer on the headstock which made string changes a real pain in the rs and the weight of it.

Things I liked were the smaller body with no top horn looks like a single cut eddie [email="w@nkhalen"]w@nkhalen[/email] type of body the lack of a top horn made it real comfortable but it need to be at least 2lb lighter as it is a ship anchor. Personally I preferred the Big Al which was a lot lighter, and with a very nice and resonant mahogany body.

Ed Freidland demo'd a few of them check them out.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dg0lcR5njo[/media]

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1334770137' post='1621014']

Things I liked were the smaller body with no top horn looks like a single cut eddie [email="w@nkhalen"]w@nkhalen[/email] type of body the lack of a top horn made it real comfortable but it need to be at least 2lb lighter as it is a ship anchor. Personally I preferred the Big Al which was a lot lighter, and with a very nice and resonant mahogany body.

[/quote]

I inadvertently clicked on the link and outlook tried to email w@nkhalen.
Just thought I'd share that.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1334770137' post='1621014']
I have owned a MM 25th Anniversary 5 strings model HSS which is what the Reflex was renamed to after the 25th anni period ended.

What it is, it's a very nice bass, heavy, but with loads of sonic variants, you can have active / passive / series / parallel and a wide number of pickup combinations because every single pickup has an on off button. The neck is not different from a stingray 5 and it has 22 frets not 24.

The wood for the body is ash with a centre mahogany tone block that runs from the pickup cavities to the neck joint. Things I disliked about that bass was the string retainer on the headstock which made string changes a real pain in the rs and the weight of it.

[/quote]

I completely agree about the string retainer, to me it just looks really badly executed and a last minute 'add-on'. Do you remember the prototypes they were showing? None of them featured the retainer and the headstock looked so much cleaner.

I've never seen one in the flesh, is the body smaller than the Bongo? I know on the guitar version, it was slightly up-scaled from the Axis, which put me off a little, as I'm a midget, so the smaller body suited me more.

I think I prefer the Big Al as well.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1334770137' post='1621014'] Ed Freidland demo'd a few of them check them out. [/quote] i got half way through that video....it just made me want to pick up a precision bass with two knobs that I run open the whole time!