Why become a member? ×

Opinions on the Ibanez SRX 500

GeorgeColeman

I've been using an SR505 for quite a few years now and really rate it (there's a fair bit of Ibanez SR love on BassChat!).

The SRX500 was similar to the SR500 but it's passive, has a square cut body instead of a sculpted one and comes with 'musicman' type pickups instead of Bartolini's.

Should be an extremely playable instrument. :)

They are great basses for the money! When I worked in an Ibanez dealership we shifted loads of those, along with the SR500. As far as O can recall, it has the Ibanez PFR alnico humbuckers, and the 2-band eq. I had a SRX750 through-neck version when I worked there, but unfortunately it had issues with the neck so I had to get a refund because they had just been discontinued.

Had an SRX700. Lovely woodwork, reasonable hardware, but I found the Pick-ups lacking and the EQ somewhat crude. The electrics in the [b]SR[/b]500 seem far better to me. I tried different strings, different set-ups, different settings, trying to ameliorate its shortcomings. Ultimately, an instrument that should've been capable of more than just one trick, but wasn't.
Nowhere near a G&L ASAT I once played in terms of sound, although the feel, playability and construction were on a par. Just the electrics let the SRX700 down.
In fact, the SRX700 would've been considerably better with SR guts in it. Maybe even better than either the SRX700 or SR500...