Why become a member? ×

There Ain't No Day Like A New Bass Day

Doctor J

Found a Bacchus 24 on the U-box at a price that just wouldn't leave me alone. Ash body with a black oil finish, 3 piece maple neck, ebony fretboard.

If you look closely you can see the neck extends all the way to the pickup.

Glow in the dark side dots. I really like these.

Rosewood pickup covers with ebony tops. Pickups are their own alnico5 humbuckers and can be tapped using one of the switches.

Bart XTCT pre, almost works like a filter pre, you can entirely cut all of each band of frequencies or boost to stupid levels

Cheers gents, I'm quite chuffed with it. I'm still getting my head around how many different sounds are in this yoke.

The u-box is Ishibashi's 2nd hand section, frequently with bargains to be had in Japanese domestic market instruments http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/ - I love them dearly for what they do there :lol:

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1334608999' post='1618590']
Nice bass indeed but... what's with the pickguard, meaning it's hardly functional, is it, what's the point of it?
[/quote]

My guess would be to avoid damage from "popping". These sort of finishes start to deteriorate quite quickly from wear like that.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1334609674' post='1618609']
Oh but I have an ABZ Dingwall in the same finish an had it nearly 2 years now, it happens to be the one I play the most and it hasn't deteriorated with popping, just gone a bit shiny over the matt texture and you can only tell if you hold it across a light source.
[/quote]My 5er is probably a better example ;)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1334610257' post='1618624']
Yes agreed :D

In that case I can consider myself lucky cause if mine wears out like that it's natural ash with no colour stain to get rubbed off.

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/d3ca6e77.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

Yeah, I think that's the issue really, the colour starts to wear off.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1334609453' post='1618604']
My guess would be to avoid damage from "popping". These sort of finishes start to deteriorate quite quickly from wear like that.
[/quote]

I'm pretty much with you.
I have a maple bodied 5er which has a very very thin clear nitro finish and no p/g - not the same finish but equally as vulnerable from popping. As can be seen by a bunch of tiny little nail digs... right where this wee p/g would have prevented it. I'm not sure I would class it as deterioration though... more like genuine mojo. :D