Why become a member? ×

Max. volume from GK MB150

gtt5

Assuming you are going to keep to the same make, there are two theories:

First, many people advise not to mix speaker sizes, so getting a GK 115 ext cab (the combo is a 115?), you need to look for the one that has the highest dB rating (the MBE has 91, the Neo has 99, and the difference between the two will be staggering).

Saying that, many bassists mix speaker sizes, and enjoy their rigs, with no problems. In this case, again looking for the highest dB rating, if you added a 410 or 212, the extra amount of speakers, coupled with the high rating would give a noticeable increase in volume.

The thing about mixing speakers sizes is technical, and, not being a techie, I`ve no idea how this works, but am sure some of the more able members will be along to explain this.

Like Lozz says, for maximum volume you need an efficient cab. In practical terms that means lots of speakers to shift more air. Which inevitably means something big, which rather defeats the main advantage of the GK - that it's small and light.

If you want an efficient small cab take a look for a BFM omni or Jack.

I sometimes pair my MBE combo (which has one 12 and no horn) with my GK Neo 210. Generally stack these vertically. Sounds great and easily keeps up with loud drums and guitar. The Micro Bass combo is only rated at 150w into 4 ohms with the extension cab but I've found over the years that GK stuff tends to be conservatively rated in terms of watts v volume.

I saw a bass player putting one of these combos through a Trace Elliot 210 extension cab. They filled the room and sounded great.

I tried one at GAK and used a GK210 with the internal speaker disconnected and it surprised me how loud the amp was and how good it sounded with a bigger cab.