Why become a member? ×

So what is it about your bass?

bubinga5

PROS:
1. It's beautyfull
2. Plays great, very fast neck
3. Has the feel of a luthier bass in a production bass
4. Has MY sound, everything i was looking for in a bass and some more and all this with EQ set flat
5. Only turning the balance knob i can get alll the array of sounds i was looking for (add to this the position of the right hand and the tonal possibilities are unlimited)
6. Has a piezzo that's very usefull for compensating the aging of the strings
7. It's fairly light
8. Battery changes in seconds
9. Keeps in tune for weeks even stored in its case
10. Did i mentioned it's BEAUTYFULL???

CONS:
1. Drains a battery every 4 to 6 months...

I'm never parting with this bass except if by any kind of divine intervention it gets stolen, broken or if somebody offers me a Smith BT5 in exchange... :P

Cheers

This is just a great playable bass with a superb neck, the sound has been improved beyond belief by fitting a Seymor Duncan Basslines Musicman replacement pick-up together with a Seymor Duncan Steve Bailey fretless tone circuit also fitted is a type `A` Hipshot bridge and Schaller tuners the bass is a Hudson 5string fretless(identicle to a Tanglewood Canyon III/Cort Curbow)[attachment=105629:P1000844_edited.JPG]

[quote name='Chaos Daveo' timestamp='1334508944' post='1617010']
I have my 2 babies my fender mexican p special and my schecter diamond extreme, they never let me down play like a dream. I play them and all the bullshit in my life goes away and I'm alive..
[/quote]

Very well stated! [IMG]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/roadrex/Faces/msp_thumbup.gif[/IMG]

My MM SUB that I had defretted. The neck is just the right width for me but shallow enough to be super comfy, and since stripping the paint off the neck, as slippery as a greased weasel, it almost plays itself, my hand just finds the right position. The colour scheme, white with tort p/g, so right. Slab bodies just work for me for right hand support and balance is spot on. The sound? Does what it says on the tin, again just right, what a Ray should sound like. Just a great instrument and the bass I've owned the longest (since they first came out, whenever that was?).

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1334739426' post='1620371']
- My Lakland DJ4 - great Jazz growl from the neck pick-up; the kind of solidity you would expect from Lakland... but absolutely demand when playing live
[/quote]

I remember the first time I gigged my DJ4, it amazed me the size of the sound that you get from it. I know its totally in the mind, but you'd guess from the body being smaller than your regular J that somehow the sound would be less. But it ain't!

I only own one bass at the moment, which is my Lakland Darryl Jones 4. I'm really hankering after a 5 string jazz like a Sadowsky or a Pensa and have been for a while but if someone told me I could only play my Lakland ever again, I wouldn't really care. it is an excellent bass, really responsive, simple and the neck is perfect for any style of playing. I love it, I can't ever see myself getting rid of it.

Despite the other basses, I couldn't live without a 5 string. Still in awe of my customised natural finish Spector for the looks, sound and feel. If the body was a little wider it would be perfect but I can live with three and a half out of four. If I had to sell all the others, I could still live with this one and it could cope with most gigging situations.

The one for me is my BB2024x.

Why?

It looks totally rawk!
It cuts through the mix even better than my Sterling.
It's outrageously brutal in the best kind of way.
The pickups are jaw-droppingly hot. So much so that I think other basses are faulty when I initially play them.
It proves beyond all doubt the the P/J configuration is a valid pickup combination and not a P with a placebo.
It's the most resonant solid body I've ever played.
It feels just perfect.
It's full of techy gadgety magic nonsense and I love that kind of pseudo-science.

I've got a Schecter Elite 4, and I love how thin and fast the neck is and how low the action can go, even with lower tunings. But what really made this bass come alive for me was replacing both the stock EMG 35hz pickups with 35TW's, which I run at 18v and each of which have their own push/pull volume pot. This means I can have any combination of single coil (Jazz-ish) and humbucker (MM-ish) in both neck and bridge positions. The versatility of the sound, with the playability of the bass, is enough for me to be happy with just the one bass. I'm sure others will disagree, but each to their own.

My Lakland Duck Dunn, it's the tone and the feel, it just sounds like a bass should - all the classic tones right there, and I normally have the J pickup switched off, though it's there if I need it. I love the Precision looks too - just timeless and the neck lets me move around the board so easily.

Then there's my G&L L2000 Tribute, it looks great, the neck seems to just fit my hand - even better than the Lakland - and the tones are brilliant: from subdued vintage to monstrous metal it is the business

I want to add a P-Retro to my Duck Dunn and I've GAS for a black Gibson Ripper, but, if I'm totally honest I'm sorted.

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1335087507' post='1625457']
The finish (Sonic Blue nitro)
[/quote]
Glad to see you've still got that gorgeous Alleva then, Loz :) About time you posted some more pics for us to admire

My bass was born the same year as me, nuff said

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1334361488' post='1615340']
that you love so much...

for me its that classic 70's spacing jazz growl and punch from my MIJ 75 jazz... the amazing neck.. the simplicity of the 2 volumes and the tone.. it does what it does, and more, so well... im sure this sort of tone was the inspiration, for the first person to build a super jazz....

what makes your bass very cool to you....?
[/quote]

I had the neck on my Sadowsky NYS custom shaped to replicate a vintage pre cbs jazz . Super comfy !!

I've been using my Fender Jazz 5 string for maybe about a year now, and I love it, and I've kinda made a problem for myself by writing basslines with a 5 string now, but everytime I pick up my Stingray, my word, its like falling back in love with playing again...

I guess the bass I have used for the 12 years prior will just always feel like home to my fingers. Doesn't hurt that its an awesome purple too :D

With this one:

[IMG]http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv52/Baryonyx2112/Streamer1.jpg[/IMG]

I sometimes wonder about it's history. It's a 1990 Limited Edition Warwick Streamer. There is so much I don't know about it. I was discussing it with Warwickhunt when I got it off him. Is it a stage 1? A Stage 2? Or is it just a 'Limited Edition'? I wonder how it got to the country, being German made, and I wonder if it spent some time in Germany before coming here.

I like that it is in such fabulous condition. It could easily pass for a new instrument, yet it feels 'played in'. I have been a Warwick fan for over a decade now and I must have played hundreds of them, yet this one strikes me as being very special indeed. It sounds fantastic, it plays beautifully. The Bartolini pickups really add some magic to it, and the body woods lend the bass a tone that is distinct and articulate yet very musical. I suppose the bass is quite similar in some respects to a Streamer Stage I (in terms of wood choice, NT construction) yet I feel that sitting down with a Stage I and this bass you would be hard pressed not to pick this bass as the better of the two.

I also like the fact that it was part of Warwickhunt's collection. He's been through a few Warwicks, so to get one from the 'private stock' is a privilege. IIRC, he let this one go as it's a bit heavy for his sore shoulder though he made it quite clear to me when I got it that he considered it one of the 'good ones'.

• 10 months later...