Why become a member? ×

So what is it about your bass?

bubinga5

The necks. The JD Thumb and the defretted Thumb with JD neck dimensions, the Antoniotsai 5, and now the Sei fretless 5. The sound of the Warwicks and the Sei are all complex, the Antoniotsai less so but still sounds pretty good to me.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1334362865' post='1615355']
The neck.
Built for speed and sin. :)
[/quote]

You can't leave it like that! What've ya got man? :)

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1334483716' post='1616620']
You have a hollow neck to get through Customs ???
[/quote]

:lol:

I've got an Ibanez Soundgear. 3 years old. Love it. Feels right, sounds great. Tried a few others lately and although they're are good basses, nothing wrong with them whatsoever, they just didn't feel right.

I might buy another Soundgear :D

Edited by Marvin

I`ve owned lots of different basses over the years but I got a Mike drint P off here recently and it`s the biz. It is the best sounding P bass I have owned and the tone can go from Motown to heavy rock with a turn of the tone knob. It weighs a bloomin ton though but it`s worth it.

Jez

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1334483716' post='1616620']
You have a hollow neck to get through Customs ???
[/quote]

I never have a problem with Customs.
I just explain about morris dancing and it's fertility symbolism and they just tend to wave me through very quickly... :rolleyes:

It's the clean resonant tone i get from the combination of strings and the Ash body. It sounds good even unamplified. It's light, about 8.5 lbs, balances quite well, I've got two pick-up blocks for resting the thumb, the versatile pre-amp with a mid-boost toggle and another 3 position switch for engaging any of the three single-coils. Terrific versatility. And then there's the neck. It's that Ibanez/Cort/G&L neck: it's fast, say no more.

It was this or the Classic Vibe 60'sJazz. This won for me.

The Dingwall has such even string tension, plays so well, weighs nothing (7lbs 9oz), looks fantastic.

The Warwick has the best neck of all, slim, fast fast fast wenge, the Wizard P/Js sound good.

The B/B/M FrankenPJ with the Wizards sounds the business, looks fantastic.

The Fenderbird is unique, it's just rock 'n roll.

Its a warwick fortress one, it was my first proper expensive bass wen i bought it new in 94. The neck is the best neck ive ever played, fits like a glove and sounds awesome. Oh and my missus took a pic of it to the cake makers and got a model of it made and put beside the 'groom' on our wedding cake... How cool!!!

[quote name='mojobass' timestamp='1334520477' post='1617203']
Its a warwick fortress one, it was my first proper expensive bass wen i bought it new in 94. The neck is the best neck ive ever played, fits like a glove and sounds awesome. Oh and my missus took a pic of it to the cake makers and got a model of it made and put beside the 'groom' on our wedding cake... How cool!!!
[/quote]
I've just scored a s/h Fortress last week. Freakin loving it to bits, such a great bass for little £ in the second hand market. I was never a fan of active basses but the Fortress just seems to work for me with the stock MEC set up and yes the necks are the best 4 string i've ever played too, lovely and smooth and fast...i'm a happy Warwick convert, great for funk :)

ACG: The looks, the recorded sound, the live sound, the flexibility, the feel, the fact that the sound has shattered lightbulbs
Fender: One size fits all in terms of recording, if I want to play in standard tuning at the moment this is the goto bass
Yamaha: 6 strings! The look, sounds great, easy to play (although need to get used to hopping strings on it still sometimes still jump too many in a rush :rolleyes:

since I have some very different basses, it sums up in feel and sound.
good playability is a must anyway, if it it looks cool, even better.

an instrument has to speak to me, inspire me. then I'll love it deeply.

I've said before that I don't think I've found 'the one' yet, to say why that particular bass would be so cool to me - I can't describe the qualities of something of something I've not yet played.

But, of the ones I have, they all have some features which make them stand out:

- My Lakland DJ4 - great Jazz growl from the neck pick-up; the kind of solidity you would expect from Lakland... but absolutely demand when playing live

- My Gibson - lighter than lighter, but also in a bad made-of-balsa way; but with the devil's own pick-ups in it. easily the best sounding of my basses

- My BC Rich Eagle - space shuttle controls, but covering every tone under the sun; twin DiMarzio P's make it a real rocker; solid neck and a gorgeous finish. It's just nice to look at and think [i]f*** yeah[/i], and that thought only grows as you pick it up

Etc, ad infinitum.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1334736806' post='1620325']
The tone is very versatile and very comfortable to play. I don't really care much about cosmetic design...I have owned a few Warwicks and they look like a stepped on piece of chewing gum!
[/quote]

Corvettes were ruined for me by a mate, who, when he first saw my Corvette, said of the top horn "That looks like a bit like a nob."

A hard mental image to shake, and I never managed it. Sold the bass. I bought another couple over the years, because they're a great bass, but sold them, too. I think I'm mentally scarred. :(

Love my 94 Fortress tho.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1334739929' post='1620385']
Corvettes were ruined for me by a mate, who, when he first saw my Corvette, said of the top horn "That looks like a bit like a nob."
[/quote]

Yup...I had the same response about my Corvette Proline when I bought it!

It's a good thing ... to have a bass that you can't set your eyes on without picking it up to play. It's kind of like having an uber-foxy woman that you've got the horn for ... erm, kinda.

I've got a Warwick Thumb NT4. I love everything about it ... the beauty of the woods, their colour, texture, and tone. At once classy, refined and perfectly balanced. Bubinga, ovankol and wenge contrasted by the black hardware and brass of the frets, complimenting the form of the bass; smooth, amorphous, and tactile. Reassuringly solid. Aye, not a twig which snaps in the wind, is the Thumb bass ... then the sound ... growly, punchy, and compact, yet will sing in many another voice ... if you want it to.

yehhhhhh!

Edited by Fionn