Why become a member? ×

So what is it about your bass?

bubinga5

that you love so much...

for me its that classic 70's spacing jazz growl and punch from my MIJ 75 jazz... the amazing neck.. the simplicity of the 2 volumes and the tone.. it does what it does, and more, so well... im sure this sort of tone was the inspiration, for the first person to build a super jazz....

what makes your bass very cool to you....?

Edited by bubinga5

firstly it's the feel of the neck - neither of mine (Bitsa Jazz and Blade 5 string) are high-glossed, and I'm much happier with that. They sound great too, but I've gone the opposite way about it than you -John East press all the way baby. I can dial in 'my sound' no matter what amp I'm using.

They've both got at the lovely 'growl' in spades too. :gas: . Excuse me, I must go and play one of them...

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1334361806' post='1615343']
firstly it's the feel of the neck - neither of mine (Bitsa Jazz and Blade 5 string) are high-glossed, and I'm much happier with that. They sound great too, but I've gone the opposite way about it than you -John East press all the way baby. I can dial in 'my sound' no matter what amp I'm using.

They've both got at the lovely 'growl' in spades too. :gas: . Excuse me, I must go and play one of them...
[/quote]Paul im not one for a glossy neck either.. over the months ive used very fine wire wool to take the gloss to a great smooth matt gloss....its so nice to play... , i really dont think a pre would add that much more to its character.... if any, i would add a Aguilar OB3 on board, for some huge power, but there are no holes going into this bass...

by the way those Blades are killer instruments

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1334363816' post='1615360']
by the way those Blades are killer instruments
[/quote]

Yeah, I bought it 'on spec' after playing my tutor's at Uni a few years previous. Fell in love with it the day it arrived and were it not against God's holy law, i'd make it my wife.

For me it's the absolute simplicity - four strings, one pickup, no preamp or battery, timeless body shape, timeless sound, absolutely nothing to argue with and very little to go wrong; I just open the taps and play, with nothing but the music to concern me. Nice place to be :)

Simplicity is important for me too. I had a delux Fender Jazz a while ago and there was way too many options on it. Active/passive, 3 eq, active pan etc, I much prefer simpler 2 volumes and pan on my older jazz bass.

I'm not so bothered about the neck to be honest. I have enjoy playing my stingray and acoustic when the mood suits and they have much fuller necks.

For me it really depends on my mood, like listening to music and I like a bit of variety.

Edited by GregHughes

Mainly the feel, sound, build quality, simplicity, looks (not really a fan of Fender-a-likes).

The feel of the necks on these Sandberg Basics is just unbelievable. I've played and owned LOTS of basses over the years (no oexpensive boutique ones though!) and nothing has ever felt like these. I am all about slim, comfortable necks, and my go-to for 14 years was a jazz, but I've also had Ibanezes, Warwicks, Yamahas. When I got my first Basic last year, it was just a complete revelation, the neck is so slender and easy, it just plays itself! The neck profile is very shallow, and sort of flattens out down the centre line as you get further up, and I think the zero fret and fairly flat fretboard radius help too. Unfortunately, it made my jazz feel like the neck was huge and cumbersome, so it wasn't long before I sold it.

Obviously they're German and handbuilt so the construction is rock solid, the sound is awesome (love the Glock pre!), and I don't think I've ever owned a bass that cuts through so well in a rock band without being too dominating. The sound is very punchy and gutsy, but with bags of definition and clarity too.

I am considering selling my Sandbergs at the moment though....... to fund one built to my spec! If I'm gonna have just one awesome bass though, I need to decide whether I'm a 4 or 5 string player........... Anyway, that's a whole other thread! :D

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1334361488' post='1615340']
that you love so much...

for me its that classic 70's spacing jazz growl and punch from my MIJ 75 jazz... the amazing neck.. the simplicity of the 2 volumes and the tone.. it does what it does, and more, so well...[/quote]

Yeah I like Jazz basses but they'd be better with one volume and a blend wouldn't they? Always pissed me off, that. Hope I haven't ruined your love-in. :D

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1334361488' post='1615340']what makes your bass very cool to you....?
[/quote]

Which one? They all have issues to be honest, just like yours.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1334364180' post='1615362']
The necks, the passive electronics, the punchy mids, the price, and the fact that I'm a bit of a Peavey fanboy :D
[/quote] slightly OT but no T40 yet? Get that sorted! :)

What's a Blade?

I dunno, I've had my Thumb bass for... 7 years now I think? It's not perfect but I've been happy with it for a long time. Most people here seem to keep basses for about six months, but gush shamelessly about their qualities for the whole of those six months, and also in the For Sale ads they post in month seven.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1334445577' post='1616391']
What's a Blade?
[/quote]

Blade are a small production run outfit who mostly make Fender copies.
Their strats are nice but I've not tried a bass yet.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1334445577' post='1616391']
I dunno, I've had my Thumb bass for... 7 years now I think? It's not perfect but I've been happy with it for a long time. Most people here seem to keep basses for about six months, but gush shamelessly about their qualities for the whole of those six months, and also in the For Sale ads they post in month seven.
[/quote]
I think that rather depends on the length of time the individual has been playing for.
The older players have got their 'experimenting' and 'quest for that killer tone' thing out of their systems and have settled down to concentrate on actually playing.

We've probably all been there at some point. :D

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1334385638' post='1615406']
For me it's the absolute simplicity - four strings, one pickup, no preamp or battery, timeless body shape, timeless sound, absolutely nothing to argue with and very little to go wrong; I just open the taps and play, with nothing but the music to concern me. Nice place to be :)
[/quote]

This.

I strap my old Precision on and I grow instantly to a height of 7 ft. We go onto the stage and say to each other ' here we go again' like we have done for 33 years.

Whatever it is that makes it special it's got nothing to do with materials and measurements etc etc. I'm not that interested in tone - all I want is a basic sound that's pleasing to my ears without having to mess about with knobs and switches. Tone's subjective anyway.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1334479738' post='1616559']
The older players have got their 'experimenting' and 'quest for that killer tone' thing out of their systems and have settled down to concentrate on actually playing.

We've probably all been there at some point. :D
[/quote]

'tis true! Though that said, even when you've settled on the right bit of kit, you still have to spend a few years going through all the different permutations of colours, finishes, electronics and hardware! It's a tough life...

...especially when you discover that B/W/RW suits you, and the config that really nails the 'authentic' tone you were after is best described as 'stock'. :)

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1334481247' post='1616583']
...especially when you discover that B/W/RW suits you, and the config that really nails the 'authentic' tone you were after is best described as 'stock'. :)
[/quote]

I have fond memories of a guitarist in an old band trying to decide between a Marshall amp and a Line6 modelling amp.
After weeks of driving the rest of us crazy talking about it, he turned up with a Line6.

He started running through the various preset tones...

"No, No, No, Definately No, Closer..., WTF is that one supposed to be?, No, No..."
"Yes! That one!"
"What's that one there?"

"Marshall"......

For me, the Precision is THE BASS. Have had a fair few, all good, some very good, but none that I really clicked with. But when I saw my 77 advertised, something about it, in those photos, screamed that it was "my bass". So took a punt, agreed the purchase, and I`ve not been disappointed.

White/Black/RW is "my" colour scheme, but the white has aged beautifully to a virtual Gibson TV Yellow. So it`s colour has faded, it has a few dings, weighs 10lbs, a few of the frets could do with replacing, the scratch-plate is chewed where the truss-rod has been adjusted, the neck is real chunky, but it just fits me perfect. I doubt I would ever find another bass that fitted me so well - especially as I`m not going to bother looking. There`s no way, unless I really end up in the mire, that I would ever consider parting with it.

And, as per ED S, it`s "stock". No need for replacement anythings.

Edited by Lozz196