Why become a member? ×

Quick question - Amps from the USA

rbatts2000

Hi all

I'm off to Michigan, USA in June and I am toying with the idea of picking up a new amp (head only). My basic grasp of electronics tells me that they don't use the same voltage as in the UK - but are there amps available which have a switch that changes between the two voltages (230/120)? If not, is it too much hassle to convert the voltage once I get back in the UK?

Many thanks

Rick

Alternatively, you could buy a USA head and step down transformer to use it in the UK. Another piece of equipment to carry to gigs of course, but you could still make a substantial saving on the cost of buying the same head in the UK.

[quote name='rbatts2000' post='176650' date='Apr 14 2008, 10:01 PM']Hi all
I'm off to Michigan, USA in June and I am toying with the idea of picking up a new amp (head only). My basic grasp of electronics tells me that they don't use the same voltage as in the UK - but are there amps available which have a switch that changes between the two voltages (230/120)? If not, is it too much hassle to convert the voltage once I get back in the UK?
Many thanks
Rick[/quote]

You can always use an external trafo to switch the voltage. This is how we usually deal with it in Poland.
It should not be a problem in UK, I think.

Here's an auction:
[url="http://www.allegro.pl/item342926664_transformator_usa_230v_110vac_50hz_o_mocy_1500va_.html"]http://www.allegro.pl/item342926664_transf...cy_1500va_.html[/url]

The only thing You have to worry about is power consumption of Your american amp and extra place for the external transformer.

By the way, Ampeg SVT3Pro has been originally prepared to work in 115V or 230V. All You have to do is to rewire it.

Gretings,
wajzner

Euphonic Audio, Epifani and Acoustic Image all make heads that have a switch on the back to change between 120/240V. Couldn't be more simple, and certainly saves the hassle of re-wiring or bringing a transformer. And they all sound great sound.

The new Euphonic Audio head - The Micro 300 - has circuitry that sense the voltage and automatically changes it for wherever you are. Same with the new Eden WTX260. Actually, most, if not all, of the new 'digital' heads have the ability to work in the US and Europe with no hassle.

All good.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='176719' date='Apr 14 2008, 10:26 PM']Euphonic Audio, Epifani and Acoustic Image all make heads that have a switch on the back to change between 120/240V. Couldn't be more simple, and certainly saves the hassle of re-wiring or bringing a transformer. And they all sound great sound.

The new Euphonic Audio head - The Micro 300 - has circuitry that sense the voltage and automatically changes it for wherever you are. Same with the new Eden WTX260. Actually, most, if not all, of the new 'digital' heads have the ability to work in the US and Europe with no hassle.

All good.[/quote]
This is true, but you might also have to change the fuse. The user manual will tell you what to do.

Edited by chris_b

I was thinking of doing this last year, so had a bit of a look into it. One thing to check, how many hertz it is. I think the US is 50 cycles & the UK is 60 cycles. If you can get a head that runs at 50-60 then you'll have an easy time with the voltage, but if it's just 50 then it's a big job.
I would double check this to make sure my findings are correct, but if you get something that runs 50 cycles & run it on 60 it damages components.
The Aguilar & Eden sound like safe bets (as well as being quality kit).

[quote name='xgsjx' post='176817' date='Apr 15 2008, 07:14 AM']US is 50 cycles & the UK is 60 cycles.[/quote]

Other way round. UK is 50 hertz US is 60 hertz.

There can be a problem using UK equipment in the US due to the higher rate of flux change in the transformer.

From recent threads I'd steer clear of Mesa gear. I looked at getting a USA Eden head some time ago and there is an internal mod and fuse change that converts them. Talkbass or the Eden forum (can't remember which) gave the info required. Thunderfunk heads can be modded to.

I've some experience with Epi and Aguilar - the former is easy - just a switch on the rear of the unit. The Agi (DB750) was imported from the US and needed an internal re-wire (basic - instructions available from Aguilar) and a new circuit breaker switch (again, available from Aguilar at about £30 including import carriage and duty). Given the potential savings available, I'd be tempted to buy in the US - just do a bit of research on the power issues before you go (I've found most US manufacturers to be very helpful) and beware of import duty on your return.

Edited by lozbass

I'd be cautious about using an amp that is going to require a separate step-down transformer.

First you're going to need a transformer rated for the power input requirements of the amp (normally 1.5 to 2 times the output depending on the type of amp and maybe more if the amp draws a momentary heavy current at power-up). The transformer I use for the recharger on my Lightwave bass is already a weighty lump and this isn't anywhere near suitable for even the smallest of amps.

Secondly you'll to make sure that there is [b]NO WAY[/b] that there is any chance that the amp can ever be connected to UK mains without the transformer in the circuit. You might know what is required when you set up your gear, but what about when one of your band members decides to help you out? Unless it is physically impossible to plug in the amp to the mains without the transformer being in the circuit then it is a disaster waiting to happen.

+1 do a LOT of research. Depending on the amp.... Most modern ones will have a switch on back enabling it to toggle between 110- 230-240v I bought an AMPEG SVT2 over from US to Aus without knowing- just had a feeling... ;-) & all was OK Had y tech unscramble the myriad of wires & rewire it for 240v -There was a 240V tap on the OT. NO way I could've done this without a spec sheet & a elec wizz tho!!!

It is no big deal to use a step down transformer, but, like everything electrical you have to ensure that all components are compatible and off you go. Just Google "step down transformer". The User manual will tell you what you need and the supplier will tell you what is appropriate. Get more than one opinion if that makes you happier. This is just an example from the first site on my list....

Step down Transformer USA to UK
Type Autotransformer
Winding Toroidal
Input 220/240V A.C. 50/60 Hz
Ouput 110/120V AC 50/60 Hz
Protection Output fuse,input fuse.
Mains lead 1.4 Metre long (Approx)
Plug type UK 13 Amp 3 pin
Socket type Accepts 2 or 3 pin USA type plug

Model Number Number of sockets Load Height Diameter Weight
SC5238 1 100 VA or Watts 97mm 92mm 1005g
SC5300 2 300 VA or Watts 115mm 115mm 1895g

So you keep the US mains lead which ensures that you can't plug it into UK sockets and these examples weigh in at less than 4 lbs.
It's not rocket science.

[quote name='chris_b' post='178615' date='Apr 17 2008, 10:07 AM']It is no big deal to use a step down transformer, but, like everything electrical you have to ensure that all components are compatible and off you go. Just Google "step down transformer". The User manual will tell you what you need and the supplier will tell you what is appropriate. Get more than one opinion if that makes you happier. This is just an example from the first site on my list....

Step down Transformer USA to UK
Type Autotransformer
Winding Toroidal
Input 220/240V A.C. 50/60 Hz
Ouput 110/120V AC 50/60 Hz
Protection Output fuse,input fuse.
Mains lead 1.4 Metre long (Approx)
Plug type UK 13 Amp 3 pin
Socket type Accepts 2 or 3 pin USA type plug

Model Number Number of sockets Load Height Diameter Weight
SC5238 1 100 VA or Watts 97mm 92mm 1005g
SC5300 2 300 VA or Watts 115mm 115mm 1895g

So you keep the US mains lead which ensures that you can't plug it into UK sockets and these examples weigh in at less than 4 lbs.
It's not rocket science.[/quote]

All the above is correct but the transformer will not change the frequency (hertz) from the UK 50Hz to the US 60Hz. Don't be misled by the fact that the transformer is rated 50/60 Hz.

Expect a shorter life for appliances connected to the "wrong" frequency supply.

Frank

One other thing you may need to think about depends on whether you're buying new or not: dealer support. I just emailed GK about the new Fusion 550 to see what would happen if I bought one there and brought it here, and the immediate thing they said was that the UK distributor would not honour the warranty.

Presumably then this is the same for all new GK stuff, don't know about other manufacturers.