Why become a member? ×

Feeler: Would you buy a Musicman Sabre based preamp for £15? Update!

tommorichards

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1333905394' post='1608047']
Quite possibly. So lets say that it wouldnt be supplied with a centre detent control. Its nicer that way, not knowing if your sound has any treble added or taken away.
[/quote]

Agreed, the John East MMSR in my sterling is fabulous with only a detent on the mid, just turn to what you think sounds best.

PM is coming your way.

ok, those pot's aren't in my parts stash so i'll go for preamps with pots please. When i said configurations i just meant additions of a blend pot and any mods required to fit it to say a jazz bass. I'm in for 2 sabre pre's with blend pots and 2 stingray pre's if they're in the pipeline too. I'm in no huge hurry though. And i'll just take one sabre with a blend (to go in my jazz) if you're only making a small batch.

Do you want a PM to confirm and sort payment?

Matt

As with Rasta, if there is anyway it can be fitted to Warwick Corvette I am up for one. Corvette has four knobs, two vol, one blend, one tone, and dinky pots. When I am back home I will measure diameter if that helps.

i just wired a jack for input to test its viability. I currently have mine in a little plastic box which does for now.

I will also be doing it in my spare time, and mostly on weekends. Im not really doing it for the money, but because i would have loved to have been able to buy this kinda preamp for that much, so i figure other people may feel the same. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Little update:

Im going to be trying out a little buffer for those who require the blend pot as some who have built it with the blend pot say it causes treble loss, so we'll see how it goes.

And i havent yet ordered the parts, but that should be happening in the next 2 weeks.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1335268833' post='1628288']
Just got mine in and wired up yesterday (And Working) Not 100% the finished article yet needs some "Engineering"to physically fix the pots to the bass.

History.

Dean 6 string two soap bars. Elixer strings that are nearly 10 years old by now but very little use.

The bass was active but a pot on the pre went and I have not yet been able to source another. Some of the tracks were lifting too so I would doubt it could be fixed anyway.

Went Passive with pots lifted from my epi T-bird but it was ultra bright. With the neck Pup which in around the P position with the tone rolled off I would say comparable to My Labella flatwound P with the tone just off slightly. Just no chance of any "Thud" it wasn't going to happen. So very "zingy" with lots of finger noise too. I know thats what a lot of people like (Going by youtube) But it's not me. Even if I had reason too I would never gig it in that state it would be last resort. .

So the objective was to tone it down AND put it back to active again. Searching for the original Pre came to nothing, I looked at the Artec. The one that has 4 pots mounted on the PCB in like a LP configuration wasn't going to fit and for some of the others, Price was more than the bass or cheap ones were comparable to a DIY one any way so I thought nothing to lose might as well get busy.

After a few Mis-starts (My mistakes) Got it sorted.

First impressions.

It has totally toned down the brightness, which was the aim. With the treble turned up you can get alot of it back but it is nowhere near where it was as a passive bass. For me a lot more favourable. I had thought the bright switch would have brought that all back but on my bass the bright switch doesn't do much (Stock cap) it really depends on Pick up and eq setting to whether there is anything, even then it's not an in your face change more akin to changing your plucking position slightly.

Bass and Treble give a good sweep AND it handles the low B with no problems. Different tone to the original one though. It's more Nasally a bit more rasp or growl to it than the stock pre. Not very good at describing things but a bit more aggressive sounding. Between the harshness of Passive and the Relitvely blander stock pre it's a nice in betweener.

For a MK2 version. Personal preference but I would go Linear pots over the stock Audio/log ones. Like I say nothing more than personal preference I have swapped from Log to lin tone on other basses too.

I might also swap the bright switch for a three way and put two higher cap values on it.

All in All a decent does what it says on the tin pre-amp for not a lot of coinage. Definitaly one worth considering if you want to play about with the electrics on a bass.
[/quote]

i've looked at the schematics for these pre's - did you use tant. caps like the very first, or electrolytic like the slightly later early Musicmans?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am also very interested. Mine would be for a two passive MEC pup home build which had an East 4 knob U-Retro.

I think I need more info on what your pre's layout is in terms of knobs and switches. I'd be happy with a blend, but like the idea of a three way switch.

I need a big deep tone suitable for dub, but like a bit of bite on that too. I run a POD X3 so not a big issue.