Why become a member? ×

Feeler: Would you buy a Musicman Sabre based preamp for £15? Update!

tommorichards

Im thinking of making a few of these as my own has gone well, and im wondering if anyone would be interested in buying one for around this price when there are chinese ones for about £8. Admittedly the chinese ones are cheaper and maybe a bit rubbish to audiophiles, but with it being a sabre based preamp, im wondering if that helps. Any input is appreciated.

Edited by tommorichards

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1333852226' post='1607427']
It is. The final assembly would include the bright switch, bass, treb, vol and stereo output jack for the battery switching.
[/quote]

Sounds a great idea, I would be happy to try them in my basses :)

Paul

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1333875509' post='1607519']
sounds good idea! On printed boards?
Using tant. or elect. caps?
And why the saber before the stingray?
[/quote]

Well, i could probably get some boards printed up, but right now its vero board which does alright.
At the moment its a mix of both tant and elect caps.
Sabre as i was planning on making a sabre clone bass. The ray is the same, but minus the bright switch.

Seems like a few people interested then....

What about brand of pots. at the moment im using alpha, bog standards. Would people want CTS, or would it not matter as pots are the most expensive components in this thing the price would increase. Also, if anyone just wanted the board without any pots or jacks etc, it would be about £6-7

Edited by tommorichards

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1333902160' post='1607974']
Quite a few basses seem to use small diameter pots and in the case of my Warwick Rockbass the larger CTS pots will not fit. Choice may be a good thing here ot the option above, board only.
[/quote]
If you wanted this option, i could supply the board with wires and a diagram of what is needed. the current pots are the small diam ones though, 16mm IIRC.

ill probably order some parts next weekend. If i could get a general number of how many to start out with that would be helpful. I suppose if you are interested in one, just drop me a PM so i can get some numbers. Cheers!

Edited by tommorichards

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1333903314' post='1608004']
i know what you mean, and people would be free to upgrade them if they so wish.

What about a centre detent for the treble. As the bass is boost only it doesn't matter so much, but for the treble with boost and cut, it will be like the original preamp controls
[/quote]

Yep that's what I was thinking.

Centre detent would be [s]nice[/s] (edit) essential.

Edited by Ou7shined