Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz amp - please advise.

schmig

Hi all,

I've been gigging out for a few years and am reasonably experienced, but have no experience with amps. Initially I used to play a nice sounding 15 inch Warwick combo, which I would borrow, eventually band leader encouraged me to buy the following from a local shop:

Genz Benz Shuttlemax 6.0
Peavey 410 TVX

I was using this combination for the last few years. At times, in even smallish gig, I would have the guitarist shouting at me "turn up!" when my amp had nowhere to go, that I could tell. I always put this down to a mismatch between the amp and cab.

So this week I was in a new rehearsal room which had a 300 watt Hartke head plugged into a Warwick 410. I noticed that if I put the volume knob to 2 on this it sounded like it would bring the house down. Yesterday was noodling on a similar setup in a music shop and NO WAY would it be wise to put to volume above, say, 4.

I can go to 10 on pretty much all knobs (save the preamp gain) on my own setup without bothering the neighbours. In fact my girlfriend used it to amplify her keyboard the other day but also found it a bit quiet.

Any ideas? I don't want to ask back at the shop..they will tell me to buy more stuff from them.

thanks!

Something may be amiss.

Don't get tied up in the knobs being at 2 or 4 or whatever, this isn't a good representation of overall volume/power.

Cabs perform differently in different situations, I would expect any 4x10 to be loud in a shop with a decent amount of juice going into, at the gig I'd expect to not be able to hear articulate the mids very well at all.

Edited by Prime_BASS

I've got a Shuttle 6 (not the max version) which I think has the same power amp module and I've never had trouble getting volume out of it, definitely try woth a different cab/cable, and try a different head with your Peavey, there's something amiss somewhere!

I too experienced this (having to whack up the master and pre amp volumes. I then discovered the battery powering the EQ on my active Overwater bass was defective and one of the speakers in my cab was a bit farty. Once I addressed this it was ok...you should also ensure the tube is sitting right in its mounting. That said these are not earth shattering heads wattage wise at 8 ohms unless you have the speaker footprint to push air..as I've discovered. If all else fails get another speaker plugged into the head and run it at 4 ohms (make sure you've got the headroom in watts tho)