Why become a member? ×

1980 Ibanez Musician (Active) First & Last Price Drop £600

Amafi

Hey all,

Up for sale is my Ibanez Musician Bass. There are absolutely no issues with the bass apart from a few minor knocks and dings.
The bass is SOLID, built like a tank, so it is also a little on the heavy side.

I have had a blast with this bass, but I rarely pick it up these days so I'm going to move it along.

Price-wise, I think £650 ([b]NOW £600[/b]) is reasonable for a guitar of this age and quality. I tried to get a price online but there's not many about, the last one I saw was on ebay a few months ago from a seller in Canada who was asking £875 ( and was in worse condition than this)

Here are a few pics but I can provide specific shots to any interested in the bass.

Edited by Amafi

Great instruments! I have a natural wood limited edition Musician and love it so much that I'm tempted by this one just for a change in colour! That would be outrageous though and I now have a Vigier fretless also so someone else buy this bass, I can't justify another one on colour alone!!!

Thanks for the comments, folks.

@ Steve Spector, I will provide a hard case with the bass.

I received a message from a chap to whom this bass belonged. I never noticed it before but feel I should mention that the tuning pegs do not appear to be original. (That is how he recognised the bass)
They were professionally fitted from a chap from this very site though :)

I am led to believe that the tuning pegs fitted are Gotoh.

Sorry for not mentioning it earlier but I had no idea, thanks to the chap who brought it to my attention.

Amafi

I can confirm this bass used to be mine:) I foolishly sold it 19 years ago as I'd spent my rent money on many pints of theakstons -lol I sold it back to the shop id bought it from and ge gave me 10 bob and a pickled egg (crook) this was my first good bass and I loved it dearly, my parents gave mr a choice money towards driving lessons or this and I went with the bass , and I'm only taking my driving test now :).
Anyway this is definately a one that got away for me, and if I had the cash I would love to have it back and defret it, just to clarify the tuners were Gotoh style I don't think they were actual gotohs, I could be wrong though it's been a while, they were fitted by the bass doc, Howard satterly who as we all know is the guvnor.
A fantastic bass and will make it's new owner a happy camper- bump

Does this have an ebony board?

I have a Musician that's from the the Re-issue models from early 90's - it has a very slim neck, sometimes feels a little too slim - how's the neck profile on this one?

Strangely the pups on yours are not replicated on my RI - ie. no visible pole pieces, I think they're just diff pick ups altogether

@Lee650 Thanks for your post mate.

@Jigster The neck is quite fat on this one, perhaps thicker even than a precision. I tried to find information on the pick ups to answer a personal message and the only info I could find were that they were Super 4's.
I believe they are humbucking as the commemorative model says they used the same pick ups as the originals and the commemorative pick ups are humbucking.
The neck I believe (according to Wikipedia) is Rock Maple and Walnut

Would be happy to hear from anyone who can confirm this or perhaps correct me.
Thanks for all replies and interest.

:D

Found this if people want info on the bass. This one is an MC-900.
[url="http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/price/1980/index.htm"]http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/price/1980/index.htm[/url]

Edited by Amafi

Bang on with the rock maple/walnut neck and i think the body wings were mahogany , thee band eq, with active/passive switch and a separate passive tone, great slap sound did my first ever gigs with this , in the end it was a choice between this and my beloved jv squire jazz (which I still use), im getting very nostalgic I wonder if my parents would buy it for me again- lol