Why become a member? ×

Steinberger Spirit XT-2 as an emergency backup?

Ed_S

I've been considering the idea of buying a Steinberger XT-2 for a while now, as despite being openly 'not my thing' in an aesthetic sense, they seem to have a lot going for them:

Relatively cheap
Gig bag incuded
Physically small
Normal 34" scale
Relatively light
Supposedly tough

Sounds to me like the perfect backup bass that you hope you'll never even take out of the bag! Indeed I've never needed a backup bass to date, but I know the day will come when something goes awry (it has to, surely, even with a Precision) so aim to be prepared and usually carry one. The XT-2 looks like a very convenient way of limping to the end of such a gig, especially for somebody who's taken public transport to get there in the first place! The only downside I can see (apart from the visual aspect of being a 6'4 / 300lb metal-head playing a 38" / 7.5lb boat paddle!) is the extra tenner for a set of strings...

I've thus far been unable to try one for myself, and will probably end up buying online rather than sporting train fare to go and buy in person should I decide to go ahead, so I wondered if anybody had any thoughts on my reasoning, or can think of anything I should know about before making my decision?

Cheers :)

An excellent idea, I take mine as a back up ever since I had a major bridge issue on my Jazz at a wedding gig 120 miles away!
However, be sure to practice on it first as they are a bit odd, the neck is further away from you - so it's a bit of a longer stretch to the end of the fret board and the neck tends to tilt away from you. Otherwise, they never go out of tune and seem to be made of solid rock!
Enjoy!

Cheers for the thumbs-ups, guys!

RR - I'm sure the Hohner is nice, but it costs just a bit more than I'd want to spend on a real 'emergency' bass; I genuinely don't like the look of them so can say with certainty it wouldn't get played unless completely necessary. I reckon £300 is my limit for that sort of utilitarian purchase.

Kev - That's really interesting about the neck being further away in playing position.. I guess without having given it a lot of though, I'd assumed that it would be closer in, what with being so compact! But yeah, I'd spend a bit of time getting used to playing it and finding out what was available in terms of suitable sounds; even an ugly and inappropriate bass that's familiar and belongs to you has to be better than desperately trying to cadge one from somebody else!

I guess it's just down to the finances now... see what gives when next month's pay hits :)

fyi
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/172892-hohner-b2av-5-string-cricket-bat-with-ritter-fitted-gig-bag-l380-posted/"]http://basschat.co.u...ag-l380-posted/[/url]
Not sure if you like five strings.
I understand it's over your budget, but as it includes a fitted case and postage, it's a good deal

Edited by Roland Rock

I do this exact thing with a Hohner B2ABD - ever since I broke a string I take it to every gig as a back-up for all the reasons you mention. Also useful for very small stages. And I have been known to use it as my bass of choice for a whole gig now and then as they sound immense - somehow just exactly like a P. bass. You should be able to pick a decent one up for under £300. Didn't the guy from Journey use a Steinberger? They were a bit of a rock band.

Status double ball end strings aren't that expensive, btw.

Edit - yes the odd conundrum that it is small with no head yet it hangs so that the end of the head is a bit of a stretch - and has a 2 octave neck as well. All takes a bit of getting used to but well worth it. Great basses I reckon. I've had 3 - each time I sold one I missed it and got another one - not doing that again and just keep this one.

Edited by Paul S

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fln=1&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSRCHX%3ASRCH&LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=bass%20guitar&_catref=1&_sc=1&_sacat=4713&_sop=1"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fln=1&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSRCHX%3ASRCH&LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=bass%20guitar&_catref=1&_sc=1&_sacat=4713&_sop=1[/url]

As I type this 50 mins to go, no bids and under £200

Yes, with the front pickup full on, back pickup off, treble and bass just rolled off a touch you get a nice woody P-Bass tone out of it, which seems really odd considering it doesn't look anything like a P Bass.

I like the B2A so much I recently bought a Hohner B Bass which is, effectively, one of these but with a body and headstock. Sounds just the same, hangs slightly better (but is heavier).

Cheers, Paul - looks like a good deal for somebody but even at £200, that goes £100 beyond my "I'm willing to take a punt on 2nd hand" value :) I'll stand to the extra £50 and buy a new one with a warranty!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ed_S

I have a steinberger spirit XT2, that I'm just about to put up for sale, bought it with the intention of having a bass at work to play during lunch hour, but that has yet to happen... The bass is immaculate with gig bag and only 12 weeks old, so still under warranty... Could have it shipped to you for £270 if you were interested?

Cheers

Andrew

[quote name='drewk_ie' timestamp='1334732850' post='1620272']

I have a steinberger spirit XT2, that I'm just about to put up for sale, bought it with the intention of having a bass at work to play during lunch hour,
[/quote]

Thats the reason i still have my old White Spirit XZ-2 bass at work. My son likes playing it but i dont really use it much, its good for when im doing overtime though.
Its a nice bass with a nice tone, i love the EMG Selects, and its the only bass ive had that has 24 frets, not that i ever go that high.

Funny enough it was re discovered behind my big digital copier a couple of years ago. Must have been there for a good 6-7 years lol.

[quote name='drewk_ie' timestamp='1334732850' post='1620272']
Hi Ed_S

I have a steinberger spirit XT2, that I'm just about to put up for sale, bought it with the intention of having a bass at work to play during lunch hour, but that has yet to happen... The bass is immaculate with gig bag and only 12 weeks old, so still under warranty... Could have it shipped to you for £270 if you were interested?

Cheers

Andrew
[/quote]

Hi Andrew,

Sincere thanks for the offer, but unfortunately the current price of a brand new one with full warranty in my name is lower than £270, so I'd only be interested in anything second hand which offered a substantial saving on best price when new (£240 give or take a pound at present).

Thanks again, but I'll have to decline!

Cheers,
Ed