Why become a member? ×

What Gig Bag..?

bubinga5

My Tribal Planet bag zip broke the other day... unfortunately the bass was in it, and fell out the bottom... not much damage but it could have been really bad... so i need a new gigbag... Sturdy as possible... I like the look of Mono bags.... anyone got one? any other recommendations welcome.. budget is between 50 and 130

Edited by bubinga5

What is it that you want from a gig bag?

I bought a Mono after asking the same question about a month back, and I'm still not entirely convinced that it was the right one for me.

The problem I found when looking at the specs for the semi-rigid cases like the Mono/iGig/Protec is that they are all around the same size as a Hiscox Lite Flight and apart from the Mono which is by far the lightest only a bit lighter and most are more expensive. Therefore unless you need the extra pockets and the back straps you might be better off with Hiscox.

If you do want something you can carry on your back then I'd still look at the top of the range Ritter (or similar) gig bags. Even the Mono which is the lightest (AFAICS) of the semi-rigid cases is significantly heavier than the Ritter I had before. It's also not quite so comfortable to wear on your back.

thanks for the comprehensive reply guys... what i really need is, something i can carry on my back, has pockets for a mac book, headphones, leads, etc.. its needs to be lightweight, but very sturdy.... if i dropped it from 3 foot the bass and contents would be ok,.. sort of sturdy.

i have to say id do like the look of the black Mono... IGIG has caught my eye also....

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1333653998' post='1604970']
thanks for the comprehensive reply guys... what i really need is, something i can carry on my back, has pockets for a mac book, headphones, leads, etc.. its needs to be lightweight, but very sturdy.... if i dropped it from 3 foot the bass and contents would be ok,.. sort of sturdy.
[/quote]

Got to be the Mono case then.

i have to say id do like the look of the black Mono... IGIG has caught my eye also....
[/quote]

Can't go wrong with an iGig - covers all the requirements listed above, although if you dropped any gig bag with a bass encloed from 3 foot, chances are there would be damage. I've got an iGig & have never looked back....

For a load like that then iGig is the way to go.Surprisingly rugged and IME infinitely better than Mono which I have to say is a more comfortable case to lug around. For durability and protection you won't beat iGig. Mine has taken serious abuse over the years and its still almost perfect. The wear on stitching and seams is minimal and the zip is as sturdy as I've come across.

Having said all that, if you just need a basic bag to carry a bass, leads, tuner and string cleaner when something like a mid level rockcase is fine.

I have the Mono and I really like it. Cases of that cost will be worth the extra bit. On the Mono site they drop a guitar in one of their cases from about shoulder height, that's having a fair amount of confidence in your product. They look great to!

I don't think you'll be disappointed with which ever case you get, but it's which case you will prefer to own.

Dan

I have both an iGig and a Protec, have to say the iGig is by far superior. I use it all the time, it's a lifesaver when taking public transport to gigs/rehearsals etc as it's comfortable, well balanced and has tons of storage space. The Protec has less space, less protection and is not as comfortable to carry around, plus the strap on mine broke last week - don't really see how they're worth £90!

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1333715267' post='1605617']
Gig bags are EVIL. I've suffered from them doing what your has done. I'm surprised you even think of getting another gig bag (spit!).The only answer is a proper Hiscox case!
[/quote]i have a Hiscox and an SKB, but i really need to be hands free as im pushing an amp alot to get to a jam

I like gig bags and it's very rare my hard cases get used. I'd avoid having too many pockets because the temptation is to over fill them. I'd also check the zips - bloody things are the bane of my life. Many gig bags I've tried - including Fender ones - get stuck because the bag lining sticks in the zip teeth.

A good tip for zips that I learned from my misses when she was on the lifeboat crew was to lubricate the zips with a block of wax - such as beeswax that is often used for polishing furniture. Just rub the block on the open zip teeth, especially concentrating where the zip curves in the sharp bends.

By the way she used that approach for the dry suit zips. You don't want to be rushing on a call-out and struggling to get in a dry-suit.

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1333715267' post='1605617']
Gig bags are EVIL. I've suffered from them doing what your has done. I'm surprised you even think of getting another gig bag (spit!).The only answer is a proper Hiscox case!
[/quote]

It's a question of using the right case for the right situation. You can't carry a Hiscox case on your back, and I wouldn't want to carry one for more than 10 minutes walking.

[/quote]

What size id your MacBook? My 15" MacBook Pro won't fit in the front pocket of the Mono bag. Check how much padding these extra pockets have as there's very little on the Mono.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1333732377' post='1605887']
It's a question of using the right case for the right situation. You can't carry a Hiscox case on your back, and I wouldn't want to carry one for more than 10 minutes walking.
[/quote]

Hiscox case on a shopping trolley, then ;)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1333732597' post='1605894']
What size id your MacBook? My 15" MacBook Pro won't fit in the front pocket of the Mono bag. Check how much padding these extra pockets have as there's very little on the Mono.
[/quote]its a standard MAcBook so a little smaller than your pro...