Why become a member? ×

Janek's new album

stonecoldbass

[quote] [b]Mr Gwizdala:[/b] I very much appreciate that, and hope that is something that might catch on across the pond...[/quote]

Clearly, t'BBC still looms large in the Gwizmeister's nightmares. Waking at 3AM with a muted scream, sweat drenching the sheets, etc.

TBH, I think the whole "I can afford to lose a few 'Bass Fans' " thing is an early indication that Mr G will be wearing a Rickenbacker next season.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1334221839' post='1612617']
:D

He also posted this, which I like :)

[i]'If I lose a few "bass fans" along the way, I couldn't be happier. It's like people who are on your mailing list that are dead weight. They hang out and open one out of 50 emails you send out, and probably only arrived on the list to get something free in the first place. The more people like that I can trim away the better. People who call themselves "fans" just so they can hang out and make derogatory comments about what you do aren't really fans at the end of the day are they? People who focus too much on the instrument and not on the music generally come to shows and stand there motionless all night with their coat still on, and perhaps even a backpack with the latest copy of whatever industry magazine they just picked up, a set of strings or a pair of drumsticks. They don't buy drinks which pisses of the club or venue owner, [b]and they certainly don't bring girls to the show which gets old after a while... [/b]and the worst part of all, they don't position themselves in a place of openness to enjoy the music because they're so wrapped up in how impossible it is to play as fast as Matt, Me, Hadrien or whoever. What they haven't realized is that if they really wanted to, they could play like that in 3 years. But there you come across yet another major issue with most people who are on this thought path or trajectory, they don't ever want to do the work. I really feel blessed to have such incredible fans that come out to shows and buy or download my music. They are loving, kind, and respectful, and I can do nothing but the same thing back to them. Long may this trend continue for my music. I will die a very happy person if this is the shape of things to come.'[/i]
[/quote]
Sorry, I'm just laughing here that Janek is blaming other people for there not being any girls at his shows...........

Yeah, I feel this thread spiraled slightly off topic but that's ok, all in the name of open discussion etc. I respect that Janek never shies away from encounters like this, in fact he seems like to make a big deal of them (if you have read any of his blogs you may have come across various 'fan mail' pieces...) and his plan to make that thread into a blog post is no different.
The only thing however, is that he didn't address one single point I made in my (albeit lengthy) reply to him about his album and listening to music. He decided to use it as a jumping off point to talk about 'trimming off dead weight' and the state of the 'four walled bedroom youtube commenter'. I know what he is getting at, you see it all the time on both of these forums, but that has nothing to do with my OP. I kinda feel like he 'changed the subject' away from discussion of his album and subsequently how we perceive and admire musical worth to a bit of a rant at the 'online bass micro community'. I was not comparing him to Matt or Hadrien, I don't hide behind screen names (you can visit my homepage and see what I do from my sig) and I 'get' subtlety in music. But I suppose he must get soooo much of the comparison thing happening that he felt he had to address it.
I'm still trying to get into the album btw.... There are good moments for sure, but that's it. An album of frameworks that have some good bits in them. And some not so good bits. Which is TOTALLY COOL! It's exactly the music he wanted to make and he stands behind it, but he almost said it himself that his live shows are way better than his studio albums, maybe that is what separates the good from the great: being able to convey equally powerful and honest music both live and in the studio....

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1334169986' post='1612042']
what makes it better though? I prefer bob reynolds music to Janek Gwizdala's, and i've found its because the melodies follow simple harmonies, something my ears are more accustomed to.
[/quote]
Is that another way of saying that Bob Reynolds has better tunes??

[quote name='stonecoldbass' timestamp='1334259666' post='1613492']
Yeah, I feel this thread spiraled slightly off topic but that's ok, all in the name of open discussion etc. I respect that Janek never shies away from encounters like this, in fact he seems like to make a big deal of them (if you have read any of his blogs you may have come across various 'fan mail' pieces...) and his plan to make that thread into a blog post is no different.
The only thing however, is that he didn't address one single point I made in my (albeit lengthy) reply to him about his album and listening to music. He decided to use it as a jumping off point to talk about 'trimming off dead weight' and the state of the 'four walled bedroom youtube commenter'. I know what he is getting at, you see it all the time on both of these forums, but that has nothing to do with my OP. [b]I kinda feel like he 'changed the subject' away from discussion of his album and subsequently how we perceive and admire musical worth to a bit of a rant at the 'online bass micro community'[/b]. I was not comparing him to Matt or Hadrien, I don't hide behind screen names (you can visit my homepage and see what I do from my sig) and I 'get' subtlety in music. But I suppose he must get soooo much of the comparison thing happening that he felt he had to address it.
I'm still trying to get into the album btw.... There are good moments for sure, but that's it. An album of frameworks that have some good bits in them. And some not so good bits. Which is TOTALLY COOL! It's exactly the music he wanted to make and he stands behind it, but he almost said it himself that his live shows are way better than his studio albums, maybe that is what separates the good from the great: being able to convey equally powerful and honest music both live and in the studio....
[/quote]
I think that you have a point here - he does tend to change the subject when it suits him and steer the conversation to what suits his agenda........

[quote name='stonecoldbass' timestamp='1334259666' post='1613492']
The only thing however, is that he didn't address one single point I made in my (albeit lengthy) reply to him about his album and listening to music. He decided to use it as a jumping off point to talk about 'trimming off dead weight' and the state of the 'four walled bedroom youtube commenter'.
[/quote]

I wonder if he knows how much of his 'fanbase' is composed of these people. Just a thought.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1334269690' post='1613746']
Is that another way of saying that Bob Reynolds has better tunes??
[/quote]

i wouldn't say so. What if nursary rhymes and pop music used diminished scales. Because our ears would be used to them, the major scale would feel "out there".

I presume..... :P

[quote name='stonecoldbass' timestamp='1334259666' post='1613492'] I respect that Janek never shies away from encounters like this, in fact he seems like to make a big deal of them (if you have read any of his blogs you may have come across various 'fan mail' pieces...) and his plan to make that thread into a blog post is no different. The only thing however, is that he didn't address one single point I made in my (albeit lengthy) reply to him about his album and listening to music. He decided to use it as a jumping off point to talk about 'trimming off dead weight' and the state of the 'four walled bedroom youtube commenter'. ... [/quote]

Mind you, he may have a point about these four walled bedroom commanders, but he would do well not to insult them too much as they are probably the only people buying his records, and the people who leap to defend him on the internet. These same people he mocks are sadly the ones who probably rate him the most, with their fawning idolatry ("he played at my college..."). In his rebuttal, he also states that they don't come to his shows to dance or bring girls. If you've gone to a fusion show to dance or pick up birds you've probably gone to the wrong show, especially these days when most fusion is so undanceable. He seems to want to portray himself as some sort of hip, fly jazz musician who is too cool for his fans. Quite frankly, I think he cheapens himself by insulting his fans in the way he has. So what if some music college geek wants to come and watch him play live, and doesn't want to dance? They paid the door fee, didn't they?

Ultimately, it sounds to me like a case of ego surpassing talent, something which is quite unnattractive, especially when your name is regularly dropped in a crowd of far superior bassists and musicians. That said, someone above mentioned that they weren't much of a fusion fan and yet they found that Weather Report appealed. The state of fusion has long been a point of debate, but I don't think it's especially healthy now. The current crowd could do with looking at the records of the 70's and 80's, where the bands were writing songs and making music that stayed with you rather than washing over you. As I have mentioned earlier, I think the scene of the 'bass hero' is in a pretty sad state these days too, as there is no-one really making an impact like Stuart Hamm, Victor Wooten, Mark King, Michael Manring, Jaco Pastorius etc etc have in days gone by. Janek himself makes it pretty clear that he isn't really interested in making music for musicians unless you're buying drinks and dancing at his shows!

Not to say that fusion is crap today, or that the day of the bass hero is gone. But everything could do with a lift, and we really need some great songs to be written in that genre.

Edited by Johngh
Language

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1334298321' post='1613905']
their fawning idolatry ("he played at my college..."). [/quote]

Well, I think we know who you mean. During the course of this thread, you have likewise specifically aimed the following at a couple of individual members:

[quote]You may have some schoolboy crush on him because he's taught a few classes at your college. Thats great, go and buy his records and get a poster of him for your bedroom wall.[/quote]
[quote] You ought to have more faith in your own views rather than getting so offended by mine that you come here to crusade on Janek's behalf. Maybe next time you see him though you can tell him you stuck up for him on the internet, I'm sure he'll be very appreciative! [/quote]

Any chance you could dial it back a bit?

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1334298321' post='1613905']
Mind you, he may have a point about these four walled bedroom commanders, but he would do well not to insult them too much as they are probably the only people buying his records, and the people who leap to defend him on the internet. These same people he mocks are sadly the ones who probably rate him the most, with their fawning idolatry ("he played at my college..."). In his rebuttal, he also states that they don't come to his shows to dance or bring girls. If you've gone to a fusion show to dance or pick up birds you've probably gone to the wrong show, especially these days when most fusion is so undanceable. He seems to want to portray himself as some sort of hip, fly jazz musician who is too cool for his fans. Quite frankly, I think he cheapens himself by insulting his fans in the way he has. So what if some music college geek wants to come and watch him play live, and doesn't want to dance? They paid the door fee, didn't they?

Ultimately, it sounds to me like a case of ego surpassing talent, something which is quite unnattractive, especially when your name is regularly dropped in a crowd of far superior bassists and musicians. That said, someone above mentioned that they weren't much of a fusion fan and yet they found that Weather Report appealed. The state of fusion has long been a point of debate, but I don't think it's especially healthy now. The current crowd could do with looking at the records of the 70's and 80's, where the bands were writing songs and making music that stayed with you rather than washing over you. As I have mentioned earlier, I think the scene of the 'bass hero' is in a pretty sad state these days too, as there is no-one really making an impact like Stuart Hamm, Victor Wooten, Mark King, Michael Manring, Jaco Pastorius etc etc have in days gone by. Janek himself makes it pretty clear that he isn't really interested in making music for musicians unless you're buying drinks and dancing at his shows!

Not to say that fusion is crap today, or that the day of the bass hero is gone. But everything could do with a lift, and we really need some great songs to be written in that genre.
[/quote]
I totally agree with this post, apart from the insults aimed at someone who happens to rate JG.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1334310733' post='1614145']
I totally agree with this post, apart from the insults aimed at someone who happens to rate JG.
[/quote]

Same here. Mr Gwizdala's comments seem entirely self-defeating given his chosen approach and market.

But when one digs a bit deeper into his lengthy posts on TB, one is forced to reassess one's opinion somewhat. Hacking through the thicket of verbiage, one concludes that he is perhaps a little too open for his own good. What passes for arrogance seems on reflection to be unadorned bluntness.

The marvellous thing here is that I'm reading and writing all this sh*t about an exponent of a genre low on my list of musical favourites. Some nice stuff on TB from Silddx, though.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1334310522' post='1614138']
So to get back to the topic, I haven't heard his new album, would anyone here recommend it? To a music listener, not a bass player - I don't listen to music just for the bass player.
[/quote]

its in no way a bass players album. However, the rest of the composition is very subjective as you can see on this thread.

I sometimes prefer music with a catchy melody that i can sing along to and this album lacks this. I think this has led to the criticism on here but look at the space in between album, he can definitely write catchy melodies when he wants to.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1334310963' post='1614153']
The marvellous thing here is that I'm reading and writing all this sh*t about an exponent of a genre low on my list of musical favourites. Some nice stuff on TB from Silddx, though.
[/quote]

Ditto. On both counts.

I'm with Chris 2112. Janek and some of the other guys mentioned in this thread are supposed to be the "top" players - operating on a different level to mere mortals like me. They've found their "voice" etc. (don't get me started on the beanie hats and the ramps though). But none of them are really making a massive impact or raising the bar and making a benchmark recording. I've not heard his latest album and I don't intend to - but an improvised jam???? Come on Janek (and the others) lets have a proper statement worthy of your talent.

[quote name='JD1' timestamp='1334342508' post='1614994']
I'm with Chris 2112. Janek and some of the other guys mentioned in this thread are supposed to be the "top" players - operating on a different level to mere mortals like me. They've found their "voice" etc. (don't get me started on the beanie hats and the ramps though). But none of them are really making a massive impact or raising the bar and making a benchmark recording. I've not heard his latest album and I don't intend to - but an improvised jam???? Come on Janek (and the others) lets have a proper statement worthy of your talent.
[/quote]

What do you have against ramps?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1334310522' post='1614138']
So to get back to the topic, I haven't heard his new album, would anyone here recommend it? To a music listener, not a bass player - [b]I don't listen to music just for the bass player.[/b]
[/quote]

Weirdo :)

The only reason I've heard of Janek is through bass sites like this one. I've watched a few videos of his after his name got mentioned, the guy can really play. But I consider that I listen to a hell of a lot of new music, and I'm yet to stumble across his name outside of sites like this one, so I don't know... maybe he'd be better not to be quite so eager to shed some of the more die-hard 'bass' fans of his work that frequent sites like this. Then again, I don't know what he wants to get out of his music, if its just a level of self-satisfaction then fair enough.

His responses on TB made for really interesting reading, clearly he's a very talented guy and everyone's got a musical itch that needs scratching. But you just get the impression from his replies that actually, it kind of does bother him what people on sites like this think on some level.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1334269931' post='1613753']
I wonder if he knows how much of his 'fanbase' is composed of these people. Just a thought.
[/quote]
That was my thought when I read it...I mean where else and who else will you find discussions about his album. :)

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1334857760' post='1622534']
Janek's got a new album out!? What's it like?[/quote]

More here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/172675-janeks-new-album/page__view__findpost__p__1603695"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/172675-janeks-new-album/page__view__findpost__p__1603695[/url]