Why become a member? ×

Birthday card from Danny Thompson

TheRev

It's my 40th today, and I got a card from Danny Thompson (and Victoria)!
My wife sent him an email asking if he'd sign a card and he did, with a really nice message and a little cartoon. What a lovely bloke (and a great wife)!

What a thoughtful wife you've got :).

I've been watching DT on the rebroadcasts of Aly Baine's Transatlantic sessions lately. Lovely stuff. he's one of the very few bass players who can play trad Irish without making it clumpy. Seems to me he mimics uileann pipe drones. Works beautifully.

• 4 weeks later...

He is an absolute gent. I once received a 45 minute telephone call from Danny on a Sunday evening out of the blue. As a PhD student, I has bought 'Whatever' on the strength of the album cover and raved about it. I wrote a complimentary letter to him via the address of his management and promptly forgot about it.
How surprised was I? Enough to accuse him of pulling my leg (it wasn't put quite like that ;-) )...
We then met up in the West End Centre several weeks later at one of his gigs and he took time to talk with me and introduce me to the band, sign an album, show me Victoria...
What a legend...

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1335739931' post='1635399']
Way cool, Rev! Here's some quite breathtaking music from Danny and the late John Martyn - makes me swell up ...
[/quote]

Clarky mate, you have no idea how much I love listening to this piece of music! It was this exact version of Solid Air that turned me on to Danny Thompson and made me go upright, It never, ever fails to get hair on the back of my neck to stand up.

Thank you for posting these. I was enamoured with John Martyn in his youthful days, lost interest in the middle and had the misfortune to see a truly awful concert at the end of his career. He still had aura and mystique but was completely off his head and the audience started to laugh at him. It was heartbreaking. These videos have reminded me of his incredible power, And Danny Thompson. Wow.