Why become a member? ×

Gordon Smith SG value?

bungle

Once upon a time, before I grew up and became a bassist, I used to play guitar. However, my guitar playing is now pretty much limited to the very occasional strum of my acoustic and this electric sits in its case, used once every six months, and never in anger.

Because of this, I'm contemplating selling it, even though it was a present for passing my exams some 10 years or so ago. I have no idea how much it's worth. I recall it being £550 from Music Ground in Leeds in about 2002. There's currently one of a similar vintage on eBay with a starting price of £350, which seems ambitious to me.

The thing plays very nicely - pretty chunky neck but with a smooth satin finish, and it has really good upper fret access. The 2 humbuckers have coil-taps, and it does plenty of different tones quite well. The finish has taken a few knocks - it's like a satin stain that's pretty thin, but it's in good condition otherwise.

Is £350 unrealistic? There's some pictures below.

There's some more here too: [url="http://imgur.com/a/BcQH8"]http://imgur.com/a/BcQH8[/url]

Would be interested in anyone/everyone's thoughts!

Hi Bungle

I sold a GS1 last year, without a case, for £300. The GS1 has one pickup only, and is a take on the Les Paul Melody Maker Double Cutaway, so in real terms, the SG is "more" guitar.

So realistically, I reckon £350 is about right.

They're really nice and seriously underrated guitars! I had a GS6 for a while and it was superb, I don't think £350 is an unrealistic number.

If it has sentimental value (and you don't desparately need to sell it) is there no way you can keep it?

Edited by andydye

Coo! Haven't seen one of those for a while. In normal circumstances I'd say go with £350 as well. Unfortunately the market is a bit depressed at the moment. Unless you really need to shift it quickly it might be better to hang on to it for a while until things pick up a bit.

Edited by leftybassman392

I think £350 is about spot on for one of those but you may have might drop the price a bit because of the market and they are not really that sort after. They are good guitars I used to have a double cut-away, flame top, two humbuckered guitar with coil taps some years ago I think it was a GS2.

Keep it! I had a GS1 for years which I gigged all over the country, and I also had a custom spec GS2. I REALLY regret selling them (especially the GS1, so my advice is to hold on to it if you possibly can! Awesome guitars; simple but fantastic quality, playability and tone.

Edited by TRBboy

• 2 weeks later...

Our French guitarist bought a GS1 last year (Lozz's in fact) and loves it to bits. He'll never part with it. If you don't need the money, I'd keep it. The problem is that there are a few cheapo Gibsons about nowdays with satin finishes and they also brought out a cheapy Les Paul junior. You know what folks are like, they'll go for the name on the headstock and ignore the quality (of which yours has the latter) Pricewise though, it's worth all of what you suggest.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1334484354' post='1616632']
Glad to know he`s pleased with it .
[/quote]

Pleased isn't the word Lozz. He's gutted he never knew about them 20 years ago. He said if he'd had it then, he wouldn't have wasted tons of money on everything else :lol: