Why become a member? ×

Alembic lovers and haters - please advise

juliusmonk

Though I love Mark King, I wouldn't say that the tone he gets is "Classic" Alembic. He sounds much like himself whatever bass he plays!

While some people on here are clearly experts when it comes to Alembics, I wouldn't necessarily ignore the input of those (like myself) who have only had a brief dalliance with the brand. You say you go on first impressions of an instrument and I am exactly the same. I don't understand why you should have to force yourself to like something that just doesn't 'feel' right to you.

I have only tried one Alembic - a fretless five string Epic that belonged to Chris2112. I had use of it for a weekend and was (at the time) considering trading it for my Status. It was OK. Just that. It played nicely with a great array of tones (very powerful electronics). Yes, it was heavy - but not awkwardly so. Lovely fretboard, and very comfortable to play.

But I couldn't help but feel disappointed. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic, but for a bass that costs around $8000 new it didn't feel as good as I hoped. And why do they only have two screws per pickup? :angry:

I think everyone should try an Alembic. They are still one of the brands to aspire to. However, I would say that they are not all things to all people. But then again, name me a guitar that is!! :D

Edited by Conan

Really depends what you want. I've never understood how Alembic don't sell their circuits seperately. On the other hand, to charge thousands for a preamp for a bass is somewhat taking the mick. I love my Stanley Clarke, but it's not without it's issues. It doesn't balance for one and totally neck dives. Funny, considering it's a short scale.

The filter system can seriously put folk off. I tried a couple of Series II's and whilst I thought they were great, I couldn't say I felt they were worth £12K or so. On the other hand that's subjective.

If you've tried a few and not thought "that's what I want!!" then it's not worth it to you. Lots of people gas for whatever bass or amp and then once they get it realise it wasn't the all singing/all dancing astronaut that they wanted but a monkey that had been put in a suit and strategically shaved.

It's a lot of cash to shell out and not be happy. You probably want to look at something else.....

The two screws per pickup is just their simple height adjustment. Its really two underneath (control the height) and two above that act as simple lock downs. If you don't know that its easy to over tighten the visible ones and crack the pickup casing.

I was a former owner of the Epic 5 fretless - it was heavy (why I let it go in the end) but had a fantastic sound and was a great bass...for the secondhand price! I like Alembics, and still own an Epic 4 string. However, I could never pay anything like the new prices (even with dealer discounts). There are so many other things I have to do with the money!

My 2p is that the tone and electrics wasn't the thing that grabbed me at all...which is why my interest died pretty much there and then.
Beautifully made but in a quirky style which again, wasn't me..

So, all in all..you have to really like them and all that comes with the package..and no one can deny fab quality in some areas, but I think you have to play anything you buy... so
for a £2k plus bass you certainly have to be prepared to trawl the country and spend months in your quest.

I have to say it sounds more like you like the idea of one rather than must have one..and there isn't that much wrong in that. It's your money.

You guys are awesome - best advice I've ever had, and best therapy for GAS!

Agree on MK... The tone is remarkably similar despite huge differences in instruments... Then again, that Alembic always had that something?

I think that, in general, I've been disappointed with higher end brands - in my last trip to the States I tried everything I could put my hands on... Foderas and the like. They are all nice, but not 4k+ nice. The only real standout was a Zon Legacy with Koa top, but sadly I had to leave it due to logistics...

I guess that, probably like all of us, I am after something that immediately feels right, plays effortlessly and sounds great. That bass would be invaluable, so definitely worth (almost) any price tag?

But I concur that chances that the Alembic (or any bass that I cannot try before) turns out to be all that are slim... if it is 800 Eur, that's ok. 7000k on the wrong instrument would carry a lot of bitterness. I also have to try a Kubicki and a Pedulla MVP someday... Hard to come by though.

I guess the quest continues...

Carlos - useful to listen to any and all opinions, then treat them as just that (taking into account the context in which they were formed). I can't offer a privileged or superior set of insights...still just personal opinions. Only you can decide. It's not worth me getting into another detailed/tired discussion of tones/feel etc. - none of this can be explained in text - you have to be there and all Alembic basses are different. I'll PM with some further information re: availability of basses in the UK.

[quote name='deaver' timestamp='1333368951' post='1600598']
I had it after Clarky and I wish I still had it
[/quote]

Didn't Clarky have a black Spoiler? I remember yours being a natural finish - it felt a decent player, very solid. Little heavier than I was expecting. I'd still like one, to complete my Jason Newstead impression :lol:

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1333448516' post='1601721']
Carlos - useful to listen to any and all opinions, then treat them as just that (taking into account the context in which they were formed). I can't offer a privileged or superior set of insights...still just personal opinions. Only you can decide. It's not worth me getting into another detailed/tired discussion of tones/feel etc. - none of this can be explained in text - you have to be there and all Alembic basses are different. I'll PM with some further information re: availability of basses in the UK.
[/quote]

Looking forward to it - many thanks! And any insight from experienced users always welcome! :)

Another thought. One of my favourite bits of kit is an old (mid 70's) F2B preamp - a Fender passive preamp, but built by Alembic to survive. It has.

Worth considering a "lower end" used Alembic bass (with a pro setup), and also a used rack preamp. The F2B or F1X will give you fantastic traditional tones (with any bass) and the Superfilter gives you a big taste of the filter eq that is in the Series (expensive) Alembics.

Would be fun and you could get your investment back, provided you were careful and picked things up for average prices?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1333449119' post='1601729']
Didn't Clarky have a black Spoiler? I remember yours being a natural finish - it felt a decent player, very solid. Little heavier than I was expecting. I'd still like one, to complete my Jason Newstead impression :lol:
[/quote]

He had both, the maple one was mine for a while

All good points put forward for you to consider. I have a Rogue and its amazing. You do have to be careful playing though as if your technique isnt too precise they kick you in the balls. The necks are also prone to changes in humidity and temperature. The trim pots need trimming carefully too as these are pretty powerful basses and if the pots are trimmed too high it all gets a bit over the top. I wouldnt be too concerned about buying second hand though, and I played a mint Stanley Clarke at The Bass Gallery in January. Full LED neck and it played extrememly fast. Seems you are after a shorter scale and this would be excellent for you - but it was £3750. Maybe its still there. I would say though that as with all Alembics, dont buy one until you have played it and are happy. Its a lot of beer tokens to lay out after all. But if you want a unique Alembic sound that no other bass can reproduce, then go for it. I havent regretted it.

Good hunting.

I had the maple Spoiler wjich I sold to Deaver beacuse I was in a punk band and they thought it looked tOo poncey and muso (but it was fabulous). I then got the black Spoiler which was punk-acceptable and looked rock (I am a big metallica fan) but unofortunately weighed close to 12 pounds and my back couldn't cope with it. I have had a search going on the Alembic Club forum for a lighter black Spoiler for six months now with no joy.

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1333447112' post='1601701']I guess that, probably like all of us, I am after something that immediately feels right, plays effortlessly and sounds great. That bass would be invaluable, so definitely worth (almost) any price tag?
[/quote]

Slightly OT, but have you tried a Status?

I do have a Kingbass and it's great. Until I found it though, I had only tried an old series 2 and was a bit disappointed, I must confess - a bit too plasticky for my taste. But the Kingbass is excellent. Both the Zon and the Kingbass are graphite necks, though, and I was wondering whether the Alembic would be more "organic".

Thanks rednose200, very useful! It looks like I'll have to go to London soonish... I realise I forgot to show you all the bass I was looking at:
http://www.station-music.de/bass/popup_bass.html?*MPImage%3D%5E%5E/images/bass/instrumente/ale_darl44126cobo%5Ejpg*MPImageX%3D0*MPImageY%3D0*MPTitle%3DAlembic*

if it's the filter based preamp that interests you there is a secondhand ACG for sale at the mo on the forum with their (as in ACG's) preamp in it. Prob a good bass in itself. I would be tempted to try that as a far far cheaper trial and sell it on if you don't like it or find an alembic you love

Edited by LukeFRC

I used to have an Alembic Epic fretless. Absolutely fantastic deal I got on it too, picked it up off these boards for £600. Despite being a 'low end' Alembic with a simple boost/cut preamp in it, it was still a fantastic bass. Beautifully made piece of kit, lovely tone and a fantastic player too. Sold because I never really use my fretless basses as much as my fretted ones!

As for the option of dropping some big cash on an Alembic, I would advise you to think long and hard about that. I've been there before, with Alembics and other basses in the past (notably Wals). Yes, they are stunning instruments, but it is very easy to get caught up in 'bass pricing'. I sometimes take a step back frm looking at bass guitars to get a real feel for their prices. £1000 will buy you a cracking handmade bass secondhand. Consider what else you can get with £1000 though. Then think of a used Alembic, selling for say, £4000 used. It might sound like a cracking deal for a used Alembic, but when you take a step back and consider what £4000 might buy in the real world, you are given a new perspective on the matter!

A devoted Alembic lover here. I have alembic 4 and 5 string basses and the main reason I bought them was that I wanted a bass sound that was different to what I was hearing from other basses at gigs and on record.

When I decided to branch out into bass playing I just wanted something that had a different sound to what I was hearing at that time and I just loved the distinctive sound I was hearing on Stanley Clarke's playing.

I've found them to be very versatile sounding instruments and whilst they all have a "family" sound they all have their individual voice which still means I can still choose a bass for the sound required for a particular gig. All the ones I have use the filter circuits and really do take time to understand how they work as on the signature and series basses they operate individually on each pickup so the scope for sound sculpturing is massive and it takes a while to get confident enough to dial in tonal changes mid song quickly. But it is really worth the effort.

At the time I bought my first which was a SC Deluxe I was primarily a guitar player. I tried it out at the Bass Centre and bought it there and then. I think they are amazing sounding instruments, (if you like that sound). As for the cost of them, there is no getting away from the fact that they are pretty steep in their new price although the used prices can be worth a look at. To ignore them or refute their quality based purely on cost is short sighted I think. A good bass is a good bass regardless of the cost. The cost may be the main determining factor as to whether you buy it or not but not whether its a good or great bass. Many things including basses are priced not on their value but on where they want to be situated in the marketplace. Alembic price their basses as they see fit and I guess they are still selling new ones to someone I guess if their market starts to shrink they can either drop the price or drop out.

I know alembic have only recently started taking adverts out in selected music press.

A few have commented here on not buying an alembic without hearing or playing it first. Pretty good advice since it's a very personal thing. However I've done that with alembic and not been disappointed but then familiarity breeds contempt for that advice.

The main thing is play what you enjoy and want to buy.

Jazzyvee

• Thanks 1

Went to see Nazareth again a couple of weeks ago; I've been a big fans since their 76(?) tour.
Pete Agnew has been using an Alembic for years now thru' a Trace Elliot twin stack. Apparently they had a few tech problems this year, but I was in front of Pete both nights & his sound is just awesome. Really nice guy too, chatting away & having a banter.

The problem I've found with Youtube examples is getting a sound quality that shows what you mean; so I've dug out this pro recorded - as opposed to mobile phone - sample.

.................... witness too the simply phenomenal vox of "Dangerous" Dan McCafferty.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP5CyD2I31o&feature=related[/media]

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1333971918' post='1608861']
All the ones I have use the filter circuits and really do take time to understand how they work as on the signature and series basses they operate individually on each pickup so the scope for sound sculpturing is massive and it takes a while to get confident enough to dial in tonal changes mid song quickly. But it is really worth the effort.

[/quote]

FWIW, I love filter circuits too. My ACG is a real joy to play around with. Everyone should at least have a go of a filter circuit to see if they like them.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1333980728' post='1609079']
FWIW, I love filter circuits too. My ACG is a real joy to play around with. Everyone should at least have a go of a filter circuit to see if they like them.
[/quote]

I rate the ACG filters too and have them in my Europa 5 bass which has given me a bit more control of the lower frequencies giving the bottom end a clear, powerful richness that sounds masterful for the reggae gigs I do.
Jazzyvee