Why become a member? ×

Alembic lovers and haters - please advise

juliusmonk

43 minutes ago, three said:

That looks like a vermillion facing and in superb condition - really beautiful!

It's purpleheart over maple. The sunshine makes it look redder!

It was refinished by Jaydee before I got it, so it really does feel like new. The only noticeable thing is some slight wear to the neck pickup casing, probably caused by some overzealous slapping.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Thanks 1

What 

12 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I would share a pic of mine but it's been in storage for the last 7 years...so all my photos are at least that old if not older.

12 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I would share a pic of mine but it's been in storage for the last 7 years...so all my photos are at least that old if not older.

What a thing to happen to a gorgeous Alembic though it seems to be a common situation

On 22/05/2022 at 07:31, three said:

What a thing to happen to a gorgeous Alembic though it seems to be a common situation

Oh trust me, this was not a situation of my choosing.  Last time I was in the UK was 2016 and then we opened a service based business that couldn't function without me and that basically screwed any chances of coming back to the UK until COVID struck...and the rest is history.  I never took the batteries out of the bass before putting it into storage because I didn't think I'd be away for so long...!  Any hoo some pics are below.  The original pickups gave out so the previous owner sent the bass back to The Mothership and had new ones installed.  The rest of it is original and honest - finish issues and all and the facings are walnut IIRC.

DSCF0256.JPG

DSCF0257.JPG

DSCF0268.JPG

And one of it being played live: 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Oh trust me, this was not a situation of my choosing.  Last time I was in the UK was 2016 and then we opened a service based business that couldn't function without me and that basically screwed any chances of coming back to the UK until COVID struck...and the rest is history.  I never took the batteries out of the bass before putting it into storage because I didn't think I'd be away for so long...!  Any some pics are below.  The original pickups basically gave out so the bass went back to The Mothership and had new ones installed.  The rest of it is original and honest - finish issues and all and the facings are walnut IIRC.

DSCF0256.JPG

DSCF0257.JPG

DSCF0268.JPG

And one of it being played live: 

Wow, thanks - I haven’t played a graphite Alembic but would definitely love to - thanks for posting, stunning!

6 hours ago, three said:

Wow, thanks - I haven’t played a graphite Alembic but would definitely love to - thanks for posting, stunning!

It's not too different to a wooden necked series 1 apart from being a little brighter and maybe a little more clinical sounding - no room for sloppy technique as the clip below will testify.  The neck is like a broom stick, almost no taper on it and the action is super low.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 19/05/2022 at 12:55, Cosmo Valdemar said:

My '76 Series. Love it. My dream bass since I was 15.

I got it for an excellent price, but I'm still coming to terms with owning something so valuable...

Really beautiful, and so nice to see some of the older 'bics in recent posts.   Mine's likewise a '76 series 1, long-scale with birdseye maple facings, marked as an export model.  A couple of gratuitous pics, which I've no doubt posted previously..

alembic01_small.jpg

alembic02_small.jpg

• Like 6