Why become a member? ×

Alembic lovers and haters - please advise

juliusmonk

• 6 months later...

I think in the late 70s and 80s Alembics made huge strides in tone and build simultaneously which made for a potent combination. However, their designs are quirky and some have balance issues. Also they're heavy and some of the bodies are little more than nicely laminated slabs. In short, the industry has caught up and frankly the 'bics are looking a bit anachronistic against say a Stranberg with its Darkglass electronics, ergonomic body & neck, super-lightweight body, multi-scale and compound radius neck. You might also consider the current obsession with Fodera and similarly if they're value for money.

For the record, an early call post-lottery win for me would be to Mica Wickersham... And there still Alembic craziness out there as evidenced by this post about the £20k build due in at Bass Direct: 

you are right, but lets compare this to auto industry, I don't think any car would last for 50 years, that are produced today (well most). So, do you think that sire basses would last enough to become an old bass (old-timer), it's all been mass produced (there is nothing wrong with that, actually there is but let's stay away from that subject).

I have a Fodera bass that I love at home, same as my Fender 1966 JB, but when it's comes to Alembic, it's like sitting in Rolls (maybe not good metaphor), but that thing has statement, it's truly a piece of art, the sound is like no other. I also have 2x Fbasses, Moollon, BB Yamaha... but sound in my head is always Alembic...

Edited by gorandelac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Go for a new one if you can stretch the finances that far. However a used alembic in good condition is a great investment in your bass playing. The reality is that whichever route  you take, they are not gonna come around cheap and just like all other things to do with music, we don't all like the same things so whilst I love them to bits, I appreciate the sound of them is not everyone's cup of tea. There are however quite a good selection of alembics around for sale these days on ebay and reverb, more than I have seen in a good while.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hiya: Mad Yank trying to revive the thread, sirs! Lol

I am saving and willing to wait as long as I may need to try to get an Alembic: saw two I absolutely love online at Station Music and Jazzy put one up in the Alembic Club Forum and that solidified it more in my head to make the move. I played one Clarke Signature last Christmas hols and that put me on the quest, and the Alembic HP pics threw me for a loop!

Would love to hear if anyone has had new adventures and outlooks in 2022 with their ‘Lembic!

Edited by Zogworst

Little to report other than I'm considering having my fretless fretted - that way it would get much more use.  It's just sat in a mate's studio at present.  I still play fretless but could get by with something a bit less elaborate.  This all might be a bit nuts and I've certainly not convinced myself yet.  A look at that lovely unmarked board certainly makes me think twice

431E926D-3248-4634-9117-20DA150736CA.jpeg

Edited by three
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, three said:

Little to report other than I'm considering having my fretless fretted - that way it would get much more use.  It's just sat in a mate's studio at present.  I still play fretless but could get by with something a bit less elaborate.  This all might be a bit nuts and I've certainly not convinced myself yet.  A look at that lovely unmarked board certainly makes me think twice

It’s your bass of course, and I can fully understand why you’d do it, but to me that would be like putting a brassiere on the Venus de Milo......😢

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, three said:

Little to report other than I'm considering having my fretless fretted - that way it would get much more use.

Well if it's any help, I'd definitely do it if it was mine.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I have wanted to give my alembic a facelift for ages and when i saw Cosmo Valdemar's bass at Jaydee being prepped for respray, it gave me the confidence to get mine refinished from see through purple to clear finish, had a refret and new knobs. And it now looks brand new except the pickups. I will be looking for some way to make them look new.

7287A7F5-2662-4366-BD86-E7479044CA19.jpeg

B5DB266E-0F22-47F6-96BC-82B19FCA2743.jpeg

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, jazzyvee said:

I have wanted to give my alembic a facelift for ages and when i saw Cosmo Valdemar's bass at Jaydee being prepped for respray, it gave me the confidence to get mine refinished from see through purple to clear finish, had a refret and new knobs. And it now looks brand new except the pickups. I will be looking for some way to make them look new.

That looks wonderful. 

6 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

Beautiful - if you're looking to re-fin the pickups and add new gold logos, drop me a PM - I had some logos made by a very high-end model shop (horrendously expensive but an unbelievably good job).  I've also been through the process of applying them to several pickups and refinishing the surface of the latter.  A painstaking process but the results are very good (IMO).  I was going to offer the transfers on the Alembic site (with Mica's permission, of course) but she didn't get back.

11 hours ago, three said:

Beautiful - if you're looking to re-fin the pickups and add new gold logos, drop me a PM - I had some logos made by a very high-end model shop (horrendously expensive but an unbelievably good job).  I've also been through the process of applying them to several pickups and refinishing the surface of the latter.  A painstaking process but the results are very good (IMO).  I was going to offer the transfers on the Alembic site (with Mica's permission, of course) but she didn't get back.

Thanks for your offer, though i am not sure that I want to keep the logo's at all since the neck ones are virtually worn off and also gold which doesn't seem to fit the aesthetic of maple and chrome. But I will have a think about it.

I posted this on the alembic site and mica indicated she might have some old vintage look cream pickups that may go with this bass so i just need to get an email fired off to find out what may be available and at what price. No idea if they have the alembic name moulded, transfers or plain. I do recall they had some cream pickups with splashed paint on called "Clown's Vomit' which might be a nice contrast. :-)

3 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

Thanks for your offer, though i am not sure that I want to keep the logo's at all since the neck ones are virtually worn off and also gold which doesn't seem to fit the aesthetic of maple and chrome. But I will have a think about it.

I posted this on the alembic site and mica indicated she might have some old vintage look cream pickups that may go with this bass so i just need to get an email fired off to find out what may be available and at what price. No idea if they have the alembic name moulded, transfers or plain. I do recall they had some cream pickups with splashed paint on called "Clown's Vomit' which might be a nice contrast. 🙂

No problem and I see what you mean about maple and chrome.  The replacement process implies complete removal of the original heat-bonded gold logo and some flatting of the pickup cover.  I've replaced a few logos where the original has almost vanished (to be honest, it makes the process a little easier).  I'm pretty sure I've seen the Clown's Vomit covers - a really interesting addition! 

23 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

My '76 Series. Love it. My dream bass since I was 15.

I got it for an excellent price, but I'm still coming to terms with owning something so valuable...

20220323_110925.thumb.jpg.819c50ade05ec2b99d09a25808b60a40.jpg

20220323_111017.jpg

That looks like a vermillion facing and in superb condition - really beautiful!

• Like 1