Why become a member? ×

I bought a guitar?!

throwoff

Couldnt resist this in the local crack converters, first time I ever seen a lefty in there or a brand name which is desirable.

Jap built, duncan pickups, mint condition, blacker than black and how much I hear you cry? 270 quid with the case!

Bang, especially seeing as the wife paid!

[IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/throwoff/JACKSON.jpg[/IMG]

Indeed it is, great price and a great guitar, gave it a run through my brothers Hot Rod yesterday afternoon after the faff that is changing Floyd strings, exactly the sound you expect from a Jackson, and such a playable neck (I am no guitarist let me tell you and even I found myself riffing on it)

Love it, will send it to live with my brother for a while (he plays guitar) so he can get some recordings done.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1333359056' post='1600376']
...after the faff that is changing Floyd strings...
[/quote]

Nice buy you have there. Changing Floyd strings doesn't have to be as much of a faff as I first thought. Don't know how you do it but try putting the ball end on the machine heads. Then you only have one end to cut. Friendly luthier taught me that one when he set up my Floyd Rose whammy.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1333394720' post='1601171']
Nice buy you have there. Changing Floyd strings doesn't have to be as much of a faff as I first thought. Don't know how you do it but try putting the ball end on the machine heads. Then you only have one end to cut. Friendly luthier taught me that one when he set up my Floyd Rose whammy.
[/quote]

Will try that next time, to be honest I found the majority of the faff comes from the nature of guitar strings as opposed to the trem itself, I tuned and stretched them out locked it and fine tuned, ten minutes later needed to unlock and retune then fine tune them again, stable now though.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1333439597' post='1601567']
Will try that next time, to be honest I found the majority of the faff comes from the nature of guitar strings as opposed to the trem itself, I tuned and stretched them out locked it and fine tuned, ten minutes later needed to unlock and retune then fine tune them again, stable now though.
[/quote]

That's certainly true. Fraid I haven't been shown a way round that yet.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1333439597' post='1601567']

[/quote]

The easiest way to get round that is find something (sometimes a AAA battery does the job) which is just the right size to keep the bridge where it is when you slacken the strings. BEFORE YOU SLACKEN THE STRINGS, push down on the tremolo arm, and insert under the back of the bridge ( well, under the bolts for the locking saddles). Don't remove it until you've changed the strings and tuned back up to pitch (and stretched in). Because you've kept the bridge in the same position, there's much less tuning up to do to balance the string tension and trem spring tension.

Keep the fine tuners set to about the centre of their thread, and only bother locking the nut off when you're completely tuned.up and happy with everything. Just use the fine tuners to tweak it if needs be once you've locked the nut.

Obviously if you're changing string gauge by much, you'll need to adjust the spring tension and start afresh anyway, although this technique may still help to a certain extent.

Hope this helps, and good score by the way! They are wicked guitars.

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1333756871' post='1606242']
The easiest way to get round that is find something (sometimes a AAA battery does the job) which is just the right size to keep the bridge where it is when you slacken the strings. BEFORE YOU SLACKEN THE STRINGS, push down on the tremolo arm, and insert under the back of the bridge ( well, under the bolts for the locking saddles). Don't remove it until you've changed the strings and tuned back up to pitch (and stretched in). Because you've kept the bridge in the same position, there's much less tuning up to do to balance the string tension and trem spring tension.

Keep the fine tuners set to about the centre of their thread, and only bother locking the nut off when you're completely tuned.up and happy with everything. Just use the fine tuners to tweak it if needs be once you've locked the nut.

Obviously if you're changing string gauge by much, you'll need to adjust the spring tension and start afresh anyway, although this technique may still help to a certain extent.

Hope this helps, and good score by the way! They are wicked guitars.
[/quote]

I find the best way to do it if you're adjusting string gauges is to adjust the spring tension (which can be done by adding and removing springs or screwing and unscrewing the trem claw) until the wedge object is just barely being held in there. It's important to make sure whatever you do use as a wedge holds it as close as possible to the horizontal position and that you make sure it stays in this position by adjusting spring tension, otherwise the intonation and action will be off.