Why become a member? ×

music man bongo 6, is it worth it?

petercullenbassist

I have a Bongo 5HHp which I bought secondhand for just over £900. It's the most versatile bass I've ever played - so many tone possibilities. I'm a Musicman fan, but really have only ever focussed on the Stingray - however the opportunity to get the Bongo cropped up so I did - and I have found it quite a revelation.

As with all Musicman basses, it a very well constructed and highly playable instrument - the Bongo has a four band EQ which is extremely powerful if you want it to be (though I tend to use mine set flat). The low mid control is especially good.

I've recorded in guitar saturated settings and the Bongo sits beautifully in the mix. I also play in jam sessions where the guitar amps tend to be over powerful and the bass amps underpowerd or just plain crap - and even in those the Bongo cuts through well and sounds good - put it through a decent amp and it's killer.

I bought a Classic Ray new for the sort of price you're talking about and couldn't be more pleased. WIth the Bongo you're getting an upper end instrument of a well respected manufacturer's range, with a lot of features and vast flexibility (more so than the afore-mentioned Ray). So I would say there's a lot more to it than a name. I can think of another well known manfacturer who does single pick up, one or two sound basses with an artist name on that are half as much as this again, or more - so I don't think the HH Bongo is over priced in relation to the market.

If this sort of thing appeals to you, bear in mind non-musicians tend not to have pre-conceptions with instruments (and certainly don't associate instruments with sanitary ware) - I have had a number of people come and speak to me about the Bongo as they are wowed by the shape, look and also sound, and people think it's a boutique manufacturer instrument - mine is bright orange so that might help it stand out - it seems to appeal especially to women!!!

I'd recommend you go and try one - it is quite different from a Stingray, in sound and feel, but still has that Musicman DNA to it.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='dr Szelma' timestamp='1333830930' post='1607203']
... when I hear "Music Man Bongo" I'm thinking "toilet seat"... well, that's all about the way they sound and look for me... ;)
[/quote]

Oh dear, oh dear - this humour is really as tired and outdated as Tarby and Brucie. Oh well!

I'm guessing you've never played one. I should have said Bongos are not the bass for people who's idea of instrument design got stuck in a groove in 1951, 1957 or 1960, worthy as those basses are. If car purchasers were in the same mind set as some instrument buyers the roads would be full of Model T Fords.

Never owned or played one but in my opinion, all musicman basses are worth it (or at least as of today's date) ;)

They look very neutral for a 6 string bass without looking too "metal" and a variable tone to follow, I think this is an ideal 6 string along with the Yamaha lines.

Hope all goes well

• 6 years later...

Hello all, questions about the bongo 6 is now going to be answered.....

I've owned my music man bongo 6 now since 2013.  I used to own a 6 string ibanez, a 5 string ibanez and a fender 4 string jazz bass but sold it because there is no sound like the bongo 6.  I use it all the time and was the best investment in music aside of my electric standup bass and my tc electronic 750 bass rig.

I use my b6 in my primus tribute band, and my original act.  

About the bongo 6 sound, it has a built in preamp and a fantastic range in eq's.  there is only one truss rod but double the size of a regular bass truss rod and you can adjust the truss rod without having to loosen the strings as mentioned on the music man domain web page. It takes 2 /9v batteries (1 battery per pickup.  It sounds great with slap, two hand hammer-ons, tapping and fingering.  I don't use a pick so not sure how it sounds using various pick techniques.

On 01/04/2012 at 11:13, petercullenbassist said:

Hey, thanks for your comment. Im odering from the statea as its £700 cheaper!

Be careful! I did this with a Taylor acoustic. It was £200 cheaper from the States. I asked the guy to mark on it that it was a gift. Customs still made me pay over £200 in bloody import tax before they would release it to me. It meant I was actually spending more than if I had just bought it locally!

I've got a Bongo 5HH and it's a great bass, but whether it's right for you really depends on what you are after. 

I'd also consider a Dingwall NG3 in that price range. They've introduced a six string this year. I tried one a few months back and it's got a similar vibe to the bongo (big, tight and punchy sound that'd be perfect for cutting through in a rock/metal gig). 

15 minutes ago, bigsmokebass said:

Shiiit, knew these basses have been slightly modified since, at least with tuners, necks (frets?), and more crazy colours.

But at least a grand more?! 🙈

I think Musicman price has jumped up regardless of the hardware improvements, on all their models.

I have to say, I know these are some of the better examples available, but they are still ultimately production line basses as far as I'm aware. Each to their own, but I would be looking at a custom made bass if I was going to spend that kind of money on a bass, especially if it was a 6 string...

So, in reference to the OP "music man bongo 6, is it worth it?" My answer would have to be a resounding NO.

Eude

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eude said:

I think Musicman price has jumped up regardless of the hardware improvements, on all their models.

I have to say, I know these are some of the better examples available, but they are still ultimately production line basses as far as I'm aware. Each to their own, but I would be looking at a custom made bass if I was going to spend that kind of money on a bass, especially if it was a 6 string...

So, in reference to the OP "music man bongo 6, is it worth it?" My answer would have to be a resounding NO.

Eude

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Over £2k and it’s gotta be handmade/custom, surely.

2 hours ago, eude said:

Eude

Agreed but then it depends if you're looking to spend over £2k or just find a quality 6 string production model for a decent price. 

I'd either go Yamaha, Dingwall or Sandberg or check out the second hand market for a bargain. 

Is one chunky truss rod better than two though? 

23 minutes ago, bigsmokebass said:

Is one chunky truss rod better than two though? 

I've had basses with 1 and 2, and to be honest I've never noticed the difference.
All have been custom made, so the necks have been as well put together as they possibly could be and barely ever needed any kind of tweakery.
I expect experience may well vary on a production line bass though.

Eude

• Thanks 1