Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliots

Guest MoJo

I'm thinking about getting an old school Trace amp but I'm no expert. I know that Trace was owned by Gibson for a while and is currently owned by Peavey but I've no idea when the changes took place.
I'd appreciate my fellow BC'ers opinions on which amps to consider and which to avoid

I've had experience with the old, AH300-7,V6, two 4x10s and a 2x10 and new, AH600-12, 4x10 and 1x15c.

Both old and new were and are excellent. I don't think you could go wrong with any Trace tbh but the older stuff does seem to go for quite cheap on here and also on ebay!

I've had a fair bit of stuff and the outstanding cabs for me were the V-Type ones- 4x12" and 2x15" (the square one as opposed to the tall one)

The best amp by a country mile was the Mk V AH150. Don't let the lack of watts put you off. Remember that these areTrace watts. ;)

+ for the Series 6.

I have a AH200 which does me fine. They are quite light as they do not have the timber surround and UV light. Although I have flightcased mine and added the UV light below so it weighs more, but looks great!

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1333393081' post='1601135']
I've had a fair bit of stuff and the outstanding cabs for me were the V-Type ones- 4x12" and 2x15" (the square one as opposed to the tall one)

The best amp by a country mile was the Mk V AH150. Don't let the lack of watts put you off. Remember that these areTrace watts. ;)
[/quote]

+100

I had the MkV AH-250 and when I took it in to the local Trace Elliot approved repairers they sort of stood back in admiration and sighed, muttering things like - 'Best amp they ever made' ' built like tanks, these'. As long as your back is sound - head weighed 22kg, which is more than my entire rig now!

• 4 weeks later...

I own a TE Va350 from the 1980s its a beautiful amp if you like that wooly and thick bottom end sound! I would recommand TE amps from previous eras coz of wiring and better sound compression from the difference in the built from the ones that are done now days.

I'm working my VA350 with a Basson + Trace Elliot Cabinet, it sounds extremely thick and wooly.

Never had problems with the amp.

Good luck with the search!

Any Mark V or series 6 are great amps, they also can be repaired fairly easily in the unlikely event they go wrong, dont discount the 7 band stuff, 12 band is awesome but the amount of tone shaping is unreal, and until you get used to it you could make some seriously bad sounds! Later Smx are also ok, but very complicated, compressor on the smx is the muts. Aviod the older cabs now they sound amazing but they are very heavy, better off going barefaced me thinks, or Bassysteme www.basssysteme.de. Few lightweight amps (unless they are very expensive) can drive the lows like these old amps

Left-field have a look at the Ashdown Labs MK500 or JJburnel job, its essentially a Series 6 GP12, with modern components, but built to the same quality and very much the same sound. Apparently a few users of The old series 6 GP12, ganged up on Mark Gooday, (owner of ashdown and former part owner of trace elliot) haha to get him to make a replacement for their ageing amps, so its essentially the same amp, with a series of endorsers Mark King, JJ and others to come...... This is the way I would go if you are using it a lot, some of the old trace stuff is approaching 30 years old!

Edited by dan670844

I had a 1210 trace elliot combo with a 1518c bass bin.....great sound but the amp in the combo died.It was only 3 years old and was never abused.I had to write it off as it shorted out for some strange reason.I was told that static had built up inside the amp causing it to arc inside and shorting everything out.On some of the forums there were a few people that had the same problem with these models.Shame really as it was a great sounding amp.From experience i will say some of the trace stuff can be very heavy but give out a great tone.I now use a rebelhead 450.....a lot easier on my back!

Why don't TE make a mini-type head? Like the Ampeg PF-500, Markbass or Orange TB? I really like TE but since using a PF-500 I don't see the point in buying big heavy 'traditional' style heads. I reckon they've missed a trick there!

Truckstop

i've had my SM300 GP7 for about 18 years and I only just extended it today with an old skool 4 x 10 cab. It does weigh a fair bit but if you aint got the pennies theres no pain no gain in this game. Old skool trace sound for the bucks I dont think can be beaten. I am well chuffed with my mini stack.

Rich

Edited by gt4ever

I love the sound. Love it. Whatever TE you go for just remember as others have said ignore what might appear a low wattage rating. These amps belt it out.
I have had reliability issue with three different trace amps but I suspect I'm in the minority so I wouldn't let that worry you.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1336383097' post='1644615']
Why don't TE make a mini-type head? Like the Ampeg PF-500, Markbass or Orange TB? I really like TE but since using a PF-500 I don't see the point in buying big heavy 'traditional' style heads. I reckon they've missed a trick there!

Truckstop
[/quote]

+1. I'm with you on this. I would be very interested one if it didn't require a forklift!