Why become a member? ×

FS Pre EB '79 MusicMan Stingray

Briggy

Very reluctantly I have up for sale this beautiful '79 Stingray. I bought this off a top guy on here last year but my situation is now a little different and this hardly gets any use as my main bass is a Status King Bass. It is completely original and in fantastic condition with original case and even the original hang tag. it has very few marks on it for a 34 year old bass, just a little thunb wear on the edge of the neck I have tried to picture. I know I am going to regret this, but I really need the cash.
You are welcome to come and try before you buy but only serious punters please not tyre kickers.
£2100
Collection from Staples Corner prefered.
Thanks for looking.

[attachment=103712:IMG_0645.jpg]

[attachment=103713:IMG_0638.jpg]

[attachment=103714:IMG_0641.jpg]

[attachment=103715:IMG_0643.jpg]

[attachment=103716:IMG_0647.jpg]

[attachment=103717:IMG_0646.jpg]

[attachment=103719:IMG_0636.jpg]

Hi there

Sorry to do this but thats not the original case it may be what it came with. The original musicman cases are tapered and have the MM logo on the in silver.

Good luck with sale if it was black instead of natural the same as mine i would be making you an offer

Not sure if that is correct?

I have a '77 Stingray and yes it does have the "teardrop" case which is original but I am not so sure that they all shipped like that?

There is that website where you can put in the serial number and it tells you when the bass was made and which case etc etc. sure someone will along shortly to tell us more!!! Pete where are you?

[quote name='Stealth' timestamp='1333156949' post='1598314']
Hi there

Sorry to do this but thats not the original case it may be what it came with. The original musicman cases are tapered and have the MM logo on the in silver.

Good luck with sale if it was black instead of natural the same as mine i would be making you an offer
[/quote]

Edited by Gunsfreddy2003

Cheers Gunsfreddy,
I am totally not trying to mislead anyone but I am under the impression that the stingray came in 2 different cases too, the teardrop being the rarer one. This case is very similar to a period fender case and I believe it is the original case. You are welcome to come and have a look and see what you think. I think it would be odd for the original hang tag/ owners manual to have survived 30 odd years but not the case? Like I say the bass is in absolute top condition.

[quote name='Stealth' timestamp='1333156949' post='1598314']
Hi there

Sorry to do this but thats not the original case it may be what it came with. The original musicman cases are tapered and have the MM logo on the in silver.[/quote]
Sorry to do this, but I bought a brand new 78 Stingray in, er..., 79..., and it came in a case remarkabley similar to the one Briggy's comes with..

Easiest way to solve this is to put the serial number into the site below and see if it is catalogued on there:

[url="http://www.musicmanbass.org/"]http://www.musicmanbass.org/[/url]

This is the site that I mentioned in my post yesterday and is pretty good for getting info on these old basses.

Edited by Gunsfreddy2003

Yep that case is correct, there are a few BC members that know of there origins from buying them new, they are only period correct cases other than the teardrop MM ones anyway although it does make it feel more special opening an old case for an old bass IMO, there are a few colour options for the lining around, blue/black/orange/red all are correct :)

Nice one Pete - where you been recently?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1333980511' post='1609071']
Yep that case is correct, there are a few BC members that know of there origins from buying them new, they are only period correct cases other than the teardrop MM ones anyway although it does make it feel more special opening an old case for an old bass IMO, there are a few colour options for the lining around, blue/black/orange/red all are correct :)
[/quote]

If someone is not desperate for money then why should they have to sell it in a week to keep other people happy? Rare and vintage or somewhere similar would want another £400 on a commision sale for the customer at least, if you can get one cheap I'd say buy it :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

• 1 month later...