Why become a member? ×

1977 Stingray £875

That's right £875 via BIN auctions will get you a Musicman Stingray from 1977... unfortunately you will have to take a punt and place bids for several of the 'extra' bits... Oh and do a bit of self assembly! :D

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/kevfits/m.html?hash=item3373dfa65b&item=220987369051&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&_trksid=p4340.l2562"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/kevfits/m.html?hash=item3373dfa65b&item=220987369051&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&_trksid=p4340.l2562[/url]

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1332962456' post='1595651']
...he could potentially make more than it is worth as a whole...
[/quote]

True, but with the pain of potentially having up to seven buyers, seven lots of postage, and seven times the risk of deadbeat bidders compared with just one buyer for the complete bass, he'd have to be making a [i]lot[/i] more to make it worthwhile, surely?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1332963848' post='1595666']
True, but with the pain of potentially having up to seven buyers, seven lots of postage, and seven times the risk of deadbeat bidders compared with just one buyer for the complete bass, he'd have to be making a [i]lot[/i] more to make it worthwhile, surely?
[/quote]

I wouldn't disagree but if it were a whole bass and he wanted £2000 for it he'd have a VERY limited audience. However, if he sells the parts he has a much wider audience... though I personally think he's going to be pushing it to find a buyer for the bridge/Preamp/pup at those prices!

I quite like the idea of owning a ray, maybe one day I will.... and was looking at that and wondering, say I was putting one together and wanted that 'early' sound, which bits would I need?
Well body and preamp I could make myself, Im not paying £275 for a bridge unless leo himself delivers it, and the pickup... might be the only bit that (apparently) is hard to get the right sound with an aftermarket.
Then the neck... and at the end of the day, it's a chunky maple neck- would it be that much different than buying any replacement maple stingray neck?

So in conclusion... if I wanted a stingray... I wouldn't buy this!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1333001654' post='1595934']
By all accounts the preamp is integral (when combined with the ray pup) to the Ray tone... not sure if you need the body and neck then!
....[/quote]

I'd tend to agree... although I find the neck on my 'ray has a certain playable quality that no other bass of mine has which invites me to dig in and produce that burpy, fretty 'ray tone... I'm sure this can be replicated though.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1333009849' post='1596014']
I'd tend to agree... although I find the neck on my 'ray has a certain playable quality that no other bass of mine has which invites me to dig in and produce that burpy, fretty 'ray tone... I'm sure this can be replicated though.
[/quote]what you need is someone with the ability to make basses...

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1333009829' post='1596013']
That I want to find out. I'm trying to talk a mate of mine to let me build the pre-eb pre-amp to put in his Vintage clone then see if the bass chat masses can tell :yarr: :yarr:
[/quote]I really really want a reason to make that preamp, with tant. caps and everything :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1333063742' post='1597011']
I really really want a reason to make that preamp, with tant. caps and everything :)
[/quote]

I've built a few with the Tant caps and they do sound amazing :)

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1333104134' post='1597371']
I've built a few with the Tant caps and they do sound amazing :)
[/quote]

don't tell me that! I don't have anything to put one in.
Unless I went a *very* different route for my Streamer preamp!

The bridges are the bass as far as any credibility with the distributor goes because that's where the serial number is. So you could buy extra parts eg. tuners, scratch plates, neck and control plate etc.

The bodies very seldom come up for sale, I bought the last one I saw and that was about 7 years ago.

Still...he's taking a real risk.