Why become a member? ×

So i got a guitar, and I got an amp now... where to start?

LukeFRC

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1335374438' post='1630168']
Meant to post on this earlier and totally forgot.

Know where you are coming from. Because playing bass is limited everytime I pick up the guitar I think it would be time better spent doing something on bass.

Aesthetically I like guitars, I like listening to good tastful guitarists.

But way more enjoyment nailing a bassline than a chord pattern on guitar. .

It's almost as if you feel like you are cheating on bass
[/quote]
it's more I feel guitar is so limited compared to bass... but that's partly 'cos I can't really play the thing- but then part of me thinks I'm not sure I can be bothered to/don't really want to.
It's an odd thing, not sure what to do.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1335392970' post='1630554']
It's an odd thing, not sure what to do.
[/quote]

Keep at it.

I know what you mean, though. Nailing a bass line is like solving a puzzle. And each time you play it, you think 'Success'.

Nailing a guitar part is like cooking a meal - bringing lots of different things together and then sticking them in the oven. You're left stood there thinking 'What am I going to do now'.

I got my right hand to strum accurately and developed all those heel-of-the-hand damping techniques by playing the same songs a lot. I picked 'Stand By me' , Chain gang by Sam Cook and a couple of other similar ones. there's a lot of finesse in the right hand on those old songs...

Also, when you create your 'E' chord, do it leaving your index finger free...In other words use your middle, ring and little fingers for the shape. This leaves the index finger free for barre chords. It's slightly harder work initially but pays off!
Also, that 'E' chord shape moves across one string to be 'Am', goes up the neck one fret (with the index pressing the high 'E' strings bottom fret for 'F' and coming across one string back towards you, a convincing 'C'.

Good guitar playing is all about the rhythms of the right hand which is why deeply learning simple 'round and round' songs like 'Stand By Me' is so good. All the song comes from the right hand....

If you want proof of that, Ben E King's Stand By Me, in the key of G is 'G' 'Em' 'C' and 'D' Tracey Chapman's 'Revolution, also in G is 'G', 'C' Em' 'D'...Just the middle chords swapped around but the rest of the differences are all in the strumming techniques.

Once you've cracked that stuff you can play 'Wonderful Tonight' at parties and have sex with girls!

Edited by guildbass

[quote name='guildbass' timestamp='1335429692' post='1630791']
I got my right hand to strum accurately and developed all those heel-of-the-hand damping techniques by playing the same songs a lot. I picked 'Stand By me' , Chain gang by Sam Cook and a couple of other similar ones. there's a lot of finesse in the right hand on those old songs...

Also, when you create your 'E' chord, do it leaving your index finger free...In other words use your middle, ring and little fingers for the shape. This leaves the index finger free for barre chords. It's slightly harder work initially but pays off!
Also, that 'E' chord shape moves across one string to be 'Am', goes up the neck one fret (with the index pressing the high 'E' strings bottom fret for 'F' and coming across one string back towards you, a convincing 'C'.

Good guitar playing is all about the rhythms of the right hand which is why deeply learning simple 'round and round' songs like 'Stand By Me' is so good. All the song comes from the right hand....

If you want proof of that, Ben E King's Stand By Me, in the key of G is 'G' 'Em' 'C' and 'D' Tracey Chapman's 'Revolution, also in G is 'G', 'C' Em' 'D'...Just the middle chords swapped around but the rest of the differences are all in the strumming techniques.

Once you've cracked that stuff you can play 'Wonderful Tonight' at parties and have sex with girls!
[/quote]

Thanks for that, it's really useful and I think cracked my problem- I'm a lefty playing a righty. The left hand I have no problem with, barre chords I picked up pretty easily- but the right hand is all over the place as it's my weaker hand. I seem to be able to get away with it mucking around with an acoustic but electric really struggle with.

Maybe I should just turn it upside down! :D

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1335482111' post='1632159']
[/quote]

Worked for Hendrix.

TBH, a chunky strumming action and some 5th chords gets the job done in most circs. As for minor chords, Johnny Ramone eschewed them and just played majors.

Cop this for a 4 chord 'no minors' trick:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93nxReePHjc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93nxReePHjc[/url]

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1335482111' post='1632159']
Thanks for that, it's really useful and I think cracked my problem- I'm a lefty playing a righty. The left hand I have no problem with, barre chords I picked up pretty easily- but the right hand is all over the place as it's my weaker hand. I seem to be able to get away with it mucking around with an acoustic but electric really struggle with.

[/quote]
Keep playing righty, TRUST ME. There are NO guitars out there for lefties. :(

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1335717217' post='1634944']
[/quote]

Ebay is normally pretty good for lefty guitars. They often seem to be cheaper second hand than their righty counterparts (smaller demand after all).

Luke, do you play a right handed bass? I'd just stick to whatever you're used to playing.

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1335717217' post='1634944']
[/quote]
err I was thinking more along the lines on just turning this one upside down!
[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1335717539' post='1634951']
Ebay is normally pretty good for lefty guitars. They often seem to be cheaper second hand than their righty counterparts (smaller demand after all).

Luke, do you play a right handed bass? I'd just stick to whatever you're used to playing.
[/quote] yep right handed. Pretty good advice

• 4 weeks later...

Question time folks... I need to make a new backplate for the control cavity. Thinking of putting some slider switches on it at same time and put some coil taps in that way. Seemed a way way way cheaper option than putting new pots in.- of course you will have to reach round the back to change them but simple and keeps everything else stock. Good idea?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1337874707' post='1666852']
If they can't be easily bumped by your hip/belly/other body part, then yes, I think it's a good idea if it's a decent saving.
[/quote]

yeah the pot's on it currenty are quite high quality, and one of them isn't a standard value- so finding replacements would be hard.
I also like the idea of them being hidden away on the back- no idea why it just appeals to me!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1338039399' post='1668896']
yeah the pot's on it currenty are quite high quality, and one of them isn't a standard value- so finding replacements would be hard.
I also like the idea of them being hidden away on the back- no idea why it just appeals to me!
[/quote]

I've always liked the Ritter basses that have the pots & the jack hidden round the back. Less clutter on the front (though some basses would look odd without any pots on the front).