Why become a member? ×

So i got a guitar, and I got an amp now... where to start?

LukeFRC

They are around £70 - £80 I believe so £15 is giving it away. If you fail getting it, you might like the Roland Cube combo's which have built in multi - effects (I really like the original ones from the 70's/80's without effects myself). good luck!

Edited by clarkpegasus4001

I once bought one dirt cheap a few years ago; might have been the Mk2? It turned out that they were bringing out the Mk3 a few days later so were selling off stock, might be the same there.
For the money they're excellent. I gave it to a kid who was just moving up from the basic Fender he got with his 1st guitar.

so... it's essentially a brand new amp, he's a foreign student and can't take it back with him. Seems pretty awesome for kicking about the house to learn from- £15 with two cables too... i pay more for a set of strings- I've been VERY VERY lucky, an amp and guitar for £20!

£20! You bitch :P

Seriously though having spent such a small amount of money I should imagine you would have plenty of money left over for a guitar teacher. I found it was great for getting me started up to a point where I felt comfortable learning on my own.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1332876384' post='1594396']
I so want to write tuning, however best advice is find guitarist who will give some time to show stuff. Enjoy.
[/quote]

I helped one of my friends start off on bass and guitar so certainly something to think about as well, as long as they're not useless at teaching of course lol.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1332927180' post='1594869']
£20! You bitch :P

Seriously though having spent such a small amount of money I should imagine you would have plenty of money left over for a guitar teacher. I found it was great for getting me started up to a point where I felt comfortable learning on my own.

I helped one of my friends start off on bass and guitar so certainly something to think about as well, as long as they're not useless at teaching of course lol.
[/quote]

I know, I'm very very lucky. I never really intended playing guitar, it kinda just happened that found a guitar, and then saw the amp at a price worth buying it for. So not set aside money for lessons and the like.
I kinda have this attitude also that music is what I do for fun and relaxing, that's what bass started as for me, and with no formal training I'm nae too bad at it now, I wouldn't want lessons. As an artist/designer thats work and focus and spending money on training in that is good- music, for me, works best more laid back and not trying to be any good.
I'll prob just pester friends for tips to be honest, or find a book or two... or do what I did with bass, download tab and keep trying till it sounds the same (no one at the time told me that the chili's bass player was actually quite good and not easy to play!)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1332943688' post='1595234']
I know, I'm very very lucky. I never really intended playing guitar, it kinda just happened that found a guitar, and then saw the amp at a price worth buying it for. So not set aside money for lessons and the like.
I kinda have this attitude also that music is what I do for fun and relaxing, that's what bass started as for me, and with no formal training I'm nae too bad at it now, I wouldn't want lessons. As an artist/designer thats work and focus and spending money on training in that is good- music, for me, works best more laid back and not trying to be any good.
I'll prob just pester friends for tips to be honest, or find a book or two... or do what I did with bass, download tab and keep trying till it sounds the same (no one at the time told me that the chili's bass player was actually quite good and not easy to play!)
[/quote]

So the answer to your original question is: plug one end of the cable into the guitar, the other one into the amp, then turn all knobs to the right and PUNK BE WITH YOU

Edited by janmaat

[quote name='janmaat' timestamp='1332947541' post='1595315']
So the answer to your original question is: plug one end of the cable into the guitar, the other one into the amp, then turn all knobs to the right and PUNK BE WITH YOU
[/quote]

true story I once started a art-school punk band. me on bass, a toy keyboard player and a drummer who hadn't started lessons yet.

Well it went wrong when we replaced the drummer with the beats on the toy keyboard... I hadn't told the keys player I could actually play ok and she hadn't told me she was grade 8 on piano and sax.... :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1332943688' post='1595234']
[/quote]

It sounds to me like you've just answered your own question. If you don't like lessons, then don't go down that road. Simple.

Start with nailing simple chords i.e. E, A, D, G, C in majors, then add the minors and the 7ths. Get friendly with barre chords.

Then find songs that use those chords ie rhythm guitar stuff playing along to some Beatles songs / melodies to get you going. Simple ones are Norwegian Wood etc.

By the time you're doing that you'll probably be doing Rebel Rebel, Smoke on the Water, (please don't do Sweet Child of Mine) Stariway to Heaven etc

Wonder how long it will take before you're doing Country finger picking ?

Edited by essexbasscat

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1333033238' post='1596529']
Start with nailing simple chords i.e. E, A, D, G, C in majors, then add the minors and the 7ths. Get friendly with barre chords.

Then find songs that use those chords ie rhythm guitar stuff playing along to some Beatles songs / melodies to get you going. Simple ones are Norwegian Wood etc.

By the time you're doing that you'll probably be doing Rebel Rebel, Smoke on the Water, (please don't do Sweet Child of Mine) Stariway to Heaven etc

Wonder how long it will take before you're doing Country finger picking ?
[/quote]

Hmm, maybe I should have said I know the basic chords in first position- not the easier looking ones that electric guitarists seem to use. I can just about do country finger picking badly too... I'm thinking I might just pick a few cool songs and keep trying them till they sound right. Rebel rebel is a good suggestion- I like that song

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1333216867' post='1598894']
There is a lot of good (free) guitar lesson stuff here:

[url="http://www.justinguitar.com/"]http://www.justinguitar.com/[/url]

:)
[/quote]

Big 2nd! Great lessons that will see you along the way, and a great bloke too!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1333216867' post='1598894'] There is a lot of good (free) guitar lesson stuff here: http://www.justinguitar.com/ :) [/quote] [quote name='j3ss3' timestamp='1333712469' post='1605555'] Big 2nd! Great lessons that will see you along the way, and a great bloke too! [/quote]

that is awesome! thanks

• 3 weeks later...

So, well this is an odd question....
playing bass, playing the acoustic (that I'm still learning too) and playing this electric a bit.....
and
I'm really excited about bass and learning more stuff and getting better.
and love the sound of acoustic guitar and the fun of playing it....
but after I got over the 'oooo' it goes loud of the electric I well..... I dunno.
And then listening to more electric guitar in music I'm listening too.... and....
I love playing with great electric guitarists, gives a real buzz. But listening to them with an ear to 'ok how would i do that, what's he/she doing' - and i find I don't care.
Like I hear a great bass player and I want to pick up my bass and practice to my hands bleed.... I hear a great guitarist, it's hard to explain, Love hearing it, but I just get this real negative vibe about the idea of learning to play that piece, or that way.
I dunno if that makes sense? Is this something I need to push on through? Or do I just not fundamentally have any interest in learning electric guitar?