Why become a member? ×

Best little loud amp?

littlegreenman

Never played the Hartke myself, but I'll take the opportunity to say that the loudest and best sounding small, lightweight single cab I've found so far (including the Midget) is the Markbass NY121. It'd go perfectly with the Blackline head, too. Bit more expense in the short term, but a great cab.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1396025851' post='2409210']
Reidmar IMO is a great little piece of kit, I bought one as an easy to carry backup for my Eden head, but nowadays leave the Eden at home. The reidmar may only be 250W at 4 ohms but by god its loud. Together with my Barefaced Compact its a light but damn loud combination. Might just squeeze in on your budget if you go 2nd hand

Hope this helps.
[/quote]Have to agree with this.
I use my Reidmar with a Barefaced S12.
Great sound and scary loud.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1396026987' post='2409231']
Having previously owned and loved my original Promethean Combo, I was amazed at just how good your Red Sub clone sounded mate.
It's not nearly as elegant in design as the Ibanez but it was very solid and built to last, a bit bigger than the Ibanez and a bit too carpety for my liking, but in a blindfold test I don't think you could tell the difference. If I'm in the market for a Promethean again, I'd happily go for a clone having now managed to audition one :)

Eude
[/quote]

Ahh man, I'm gutted that you had moved on your Promethean pre bash, it was supposed to be the great A/B test. Bummer. Still, I'm glad you got to have a go of it and glad to hear that you thought it sounded good, as a former owner of the "real deal". Aye, it may not be the bonniest amp ever made, I'll grant you that, but it's been two years now and I haven't caught myself wishing that I had a nifty pull down stand thing when I'm screwing in the extra "foot" in my RedSub to tilt it ;)

Surprised that the fundamental difference in cab design (Promethean - front ported, RedSub/HB - rear ported) didn't seem to make any difference. I guess they're equally tuned to the driver which apart from the cone colour appears to be identical to both.

Lots of answers already but depends certainly on what you want it for, and for what sounds.

I highly rate the ampeg SVT mini thing they do, extremely small and light, and surprisingly loud. Coupled with an amp that can push it a bit more it can be more than enough for gigs as long as there is some PA support.

Lots of suggestions here, we could go on until we've mentioned nearly every amp going, but answering some questions would help!

What style of music and what basses do you play?

How loud do you need to be? Jazz quartet or death metal band?

Are you likely to play big rooms or even outdoors with no PA support?

Do you want warm vintage tones, bright modern tones, or both?

Are built in overdrive, compression and footswitchable sounds desirable?

Combo or head + cab?

Do you need something small and light enough to carry with one hand on public transport, or do you drive to gigs and are happy with something a bit bigger as long as it fits in the boot of whatever car you drive?

Hi guys, I was on the hunt for a lightweight rig. Ended up buying the new markbass 250w black line and Eden's Ex112. In all it is about 16kg.
The rig will debut on Sunday at band's rehearsal. I'll keep you posted!

Edited by Muri

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1332824980' post='1593550']
Tecamp....I have a Tecamp Puma 350 head and i've had no volume issues at any gig i've played at. It's small and incredibly lightweight at just 2.4kg (5.3lbs). Running it at 4 ohms (like I do) you get 350w and if you use 8ohms it's 250w. Secondhand prices are easily within your budget. They sound excellent as well. Here's mine.......

[attachment=103485:Tecamp Puma head front.JPG] [attachment=103486:Tecamp Puma 350 head top.JPG] [attachment=103487:Tecamp Puma head rear.JPG]
[/quote]
I have same I run it into either a barefaced compact or barefaced S12t sounds great with either :D
and if anyone wants a compact I got to sell mine :angry:

[quote name='Captain Rumble' timestamp='1396699817' post='2416540']
I have same I run it into either a barefaced compact or barefaced S12t sounds great with either :D
and if anyone wants a compact I got to sell mine :angry:
[/quote]

I have since sold the Tecamp rig. I'm now using a Epifani PS400 (Performance Series) head and 2 x 2x10 Epifani Epifunky cabs.The cab pictured below is exactly the same as mine except both of mine have steel round carry handles like Marshall type.

Amp here: http://epifani.com/products/PS_400BA.php
Cabs here: http://epifani.com/products/EpiFunky_210BC.php