Why become a member? ×

What is a "Fender Geddy Lee" jazz bass?

Conan

So is the neck profile on the Geddy bass any different to the one on a standard 1972/3 Jazz Bass?
I thought it was, but I have never played a Geddy bass, just a 1973 Jazz (Mine has black scratchplate too - I think this was standard in the 70s but I believe some came with an optional white one in the case!)

I've played one of these for about three years now, picked up a precision since and the GL has largely gathered dust. Maybe it's just that I prefer the precision, but my gripes with the GL are:

- Weighs a ton.
- Look at it sideways and the lacquer shatters on the back of the neck.
- Small neck causes pain in my hands.
- I've found the tone to be somewhat "empty".

I'm not a very experienced player and again, lean towards precision anyway..that said, any visitor who's ever picked it up off the stand has been blown away by the neck on it.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1332768692' post='1592781']
So is the neck profile on the Geddy bass any different to the one on a standard 1972/3 Jazz Bass?
I thought it was, but I have never played a Geddy bass, just a 1973 Jazz (Mine has black scratchplate too - I think this was standard in the 70s but I believe some came with an optional white one in the case!)
[/quote]

I don't know what the 72/73 necks are like, but I'd pick up all sorts of jazz basses at shops, musicians houses etc...have never seen a neck like it. Very thin back-to-front, at the nut the thing seems ludicrously small.

Edited by schmig

[quote name='schmig' timestamp='1332771966' post='1592850']
- Weighs a ton.
- Small neck causes pain in my hands.[/quote]

I've got big hands, and I can't say I've had a problem with this. It takes a bit of adjustment, but is actually very comfortable to me.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1332772284' post='1592855']
It weighed a ton and the neck was akin to a pencil.
[/quote]

I've weighed mine and it comes in at around eight and a half pounds. Is this heavy for a J? Doesn't feel heavy to me...

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332508831' post='1589342']
70s spacing
[/quote]

Actually, I was thinking about this. The bridge pickup is certainly closer to the neck pickup than it would be on a 60s spacing, but due to the extra length of the Badass, the bridge pickup is actually quite close to the bridge itself... More like a 60s spacing in fact! ;)

Which factor is more important, and would have more influence on the sound? Hmmmm.... :huh:

Edited by Conan

As far as I know there are only two spacings. Original 60s spacing (1961 - 1971ish) pickups are 3.5" apart (poles to poles). Then 70s spacing (1972 - 1982ish) bridge pickup moved 1/2" nearer to the bridge so the pickups are 4" apart - resulting in a much more nasal BPU sound. Then in 1983ish Fender went back to the original 60s spacing and have been ever since (except on special editions like the Geddy...).

The position of the neck pickup hasn't moved ever and neither has the position of the bridge. The Badass bridge is longer than the stock one so it appears like the pickup is nearer to the bridge (in fact its the other way around).

Personally I prefer the 70s spacing, although you do lose quite a bit of low end on the BPU, but if you blend in a bit of the NPU you can get the 60s BPU sound anyway so I think it has a greater tonal range. Not sure why they went back though - it does mean that a 70s spacing Jazz Bass is harder to come by (ask me how I know!)

I think the genuine Geddy Lee model IS 70s Spacing (as its based on a '72), the Fender 75 reissue IS, The Marcus Miller (based on 78/79) IS, The Squier VMs are NOT...