Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT3 Pro

mik900

The change might have been gradual so you haven't noticed it. I'm no expert but one would think 6 years of regular use would warrant a change of tubes - but if it sounds good to you then no real need right? Plus the SS poweramp probably takes a lot of the load - depends on how hard you push the preamp.

They're great amps - I played through one at a show last year and was really impressed.

I've got a USA SVT3Pro around the same age and replaced the valves last year with matching JJ's.
It just started to sound a bit 'wooly'.
I was really surprised when I opened it up - none of the valves were the same make!!
The change made it sound a little more 'Zingy' (if thats a word?) the bottom end tightened up and the grind was back!

Give it a go mate!

The fan in mine had started to get a bit noisy when firing it up - I dont want to hijack your thread but, anyone ever replaced this, and with what?

Diff pre-amp valves have different sonic qualities, and the ones that came with the amp are probably farily cheapo. But they do tend to last for many, many years. A failure usually comes as a sudden loss of sound or "motorboating" or a high pitched squeal. All of which you will notice instantly. if you like the tone, there's no need to change pre-amp valves, unless you want to try different valves with different sonic qualities.