Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision - Made in Mexico

Lozz196

Just a brief review of a 2nd hand 2009 Fender Precision (MIM) i`ve just bought.

In Olympic white, with white scratchplate, and maple fretboard (with a nice dark maple), the bass looks stunning. As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted it - have only had this feeling about two other instruments in my whole life, btw.

But, looks aren`t everything, what was the bass like once I got it? Well I have to say, I`m surprised at how much I love this bass. A quick change of strings to a set of heavy gauge Roto Rounds, and time for a quick set-up, adjust truss rod, saddle-height on the bridge, and intonation. This is one of the areas that has surprised me. I can get the action waaaayy lower than I like it, without any fret buzz at all. As I hit the strings quite hard, I like a high action, but it`s possible to really set it low on this bass. As such, the bass plays wonderfully. The sound is typically Fender, but with that lovely "creamy" tinge to it that you get with maple fretboards - I`m usually a rosewood man.

MIM Fenders sometimes get a bit of a drubbing, but this bass is deserving of a good review. I`ve bought it as a backup to my US 77 Precision, but I`m so taken with it I`m only playing this at home at the moment.

I bought this bass over the net, based on the photos, and I`ve lucked out - it has to be one of the best £350 purchases I`ve ever made.

• Like 1

I had one exactly the same as that - was my first Precision. Thought it would be a keeper, but eventually traded it in about 6 months ago (along with its B/W/RW stunt double) against a MIJ 70s Classic P. Both my 2009 MIMs were excellent, though.. in fact the stock pickups had a nice aggressive, edgy growl that's just not there in my MIJ; it's a bit too 'grown up' for its own good! Good choice, anyway :)

Yes, black Fender logo, serial number on back of headstock.

The neck is a dream. I can`t put into words how happy I am with this bass. The frets aren`t sharp or ragged, which on previous MIMs I`ve had, they have been a bit. As above, the action can be set so low, for someone with a delicate touch it would bring a big smile. Nice chunky neck. Not huge, but on some recent Fenders & Squiers, the depth of the neck hasn`t been enough for me, whereas this one is fine. My 77 is deeper, but this one has enough about it to be a handful.

You sold your old olympic white to me and you have bought a new one hehe.
Although i had lots of second thoughts before buying it (mostly due to my inexperience), i love your bass man.
Still use it as a main (although i would like to test a few hundred others) and still my gas thirst is calmly sleeping=)

Hi Stergios. Glad you`re still happy with it. Was a great bass that. I mentioned only having that feeling that I had to have a bass on sight ever happening to me with two other basses - the one I sold you was one of the others (my 77 Precision being the other).

Some people run the Mex Fenders down, but in my experience, they are great instruments. And with the new US Precisions topping £1400 (nearly 1700 Euros) the Mex are great value too.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1332497729' post='1589054']
Yes, black Fender logo, serial number on back of headstock.

The neck is a dream. I can`t put into words how happy I am with this bass. The frets aren`t sharp or ragged, which on previous MIMs I`ve had, they have been a bit. As above, the action can be set so low, for someone with a delicate touch it would bring a big smile. Nice chunky neck. Not huge, but on some recent Fenders & Squiers, the depth of the neck hasn`t been enough for me, whereas this one is fine. My 77 is deeper, but this one has enough about it to be a handful.
[/quote]

Ah, excellent. The neck was my only worry about taking the plunge, so I guess you've just cost me a few hundred quid ;)

• 3 months later...

Thanks, it`s a great bass. Of course it`s not as good as a US Fender, but that`s why there is a substantial difference in the cost. My review is of the MIM in it`s own right, whether it is a good bass, with good playability/sound, and if it`s good value for the money. The answer is yes to all.

• 2 years later...

Well a sort-of update here, I`ve gone and done the same thing again, though this time said 2008 MIM is black/black/maple (had to get a black cratchplate though). And same again, I`m knocked out by how good this bass is. I`ve read a good few posts where people have said that the post-2008 series MIMs are very good, and now having had 2 I have to agree.

I picked it up from Nevada Music for £350 delivered (£350 seems to be the magic number on these ones). Bought unseen, again I saw it and just had that feeling it was going to be right - and it is. Nice chunky neck, very playable but this neck is much chunkier than earlier MIMs I`ve had. Again the action can be set nice and low and the sound from this bass is great. My `78 Precision is still my main bass, the MIM being my backup, but for my needs, in all honesty one of these post-2008 MIMs is all I actually need. I really rate them - and I`ve had plenty of US Precisions to compare them to. Yes the US are better, but then Custom Shop are better than US, how far do you go. For me, it`s tme to stop, I have the 2 basses I need for my band (and another US Precision with P/J for depping).

Upshot is, if you`re looking for a good Precision for not much money, you can do worse than check these out - and I think a fellow Basschatter is going to be putting one up soon for anyone with their eyes out for one.

Edited by Lozz196

I have a MIM Jazz - a roadworn series model
I've also got a USA Jazz, and have owned 2 vintage USA Fender basses in the past....

There's a lot of discussion on "classic" Fenders, and a lot of people who don't like the "Roadworn" concept
But I bought the Roadworn Jazz because it is simply stunning

I had played a couple of dodgy MIM's before, (EDIT and a couple of really good ones)
but the neck on my MIM is just superb
I've never played a bass guitar that feels quite as comfortable,
or that I just wanted to pick up & play quite so much
And it sounds superb too!

Don't worry about which factory made it
If it feels & sounds great - just enjoy it, and be glad you've found one you like so much....

I've heard tales of bassists flogging their instruments, cos it said "squier" on the headstock,
then regretting it, and realising they just flogged a great instrument for less than its' real worth

To be honest, my USA Jazz is lovely,
But I wouldn't swap 2 of them for my MIM Jazz :)

EDIT: Sometimes you just "know" when a bass is right for you
For me, my roadworn Jazz is the best I've ever played
I'll not be selling this one..... ever

Edited by Marc S

• 9 months later...

Well a further update - having been so impressed by the sound of MIM Precisions when other bands had been playing them, I`ve gone and bought a couple (as very stoopidly sold the one I was raving about in post 14). Again, post 2008 ones, one being a 2011, the other a 2012, both in black/white/maple. Out of the two I`ve chosen the 2011 for my main gigging bass as the neck feels more similar to my 78. This one has been given a new black pickguard, the other is getting a nice brown tort one.

So I`ve used it on a couple of gigs, with provided speakers, and last night at rehearsal using my own amp/speaker, and the sound was exactly as I wanted. I had thought I might need to swap pickups out, but after last night, these ain`t going nowhere. I`m going to be selling my two 78 Precisions as I`ve found that I just really love the sound of these MIMs. They play great, the build quality is excellent, and I love the sound so much.

And all this occurred cos everytime I really liked the sound of a bassists Precision it was a Mexican made one. Plus a lot of the "named" bands I`ve been gigging with have been using them - not a factor in me buying them specifically, but if they`re good enough for professionals, and sound great, well they`re good enough for me.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1434555451' post='2800754'] Plus a lot of the "named" bands I`ve been gigging with have been using them - not a factor in me buying them specifically, but if they`re good enough for professionals, and sound great, well they`re good enough for me. [/quote]

I know Ex NMA bod, Moose, has retired his 2 American P basses (late 50s and early 70s) in favour of a recent Mexican made one.