Why become a member? ×

ACME Single 12" Fullrange

Owen

I needed a small cab because I was fed up of carrying my big cab. I looked at all the likely 12" candidates and decided to go with an ACME. I have always fancied trying one as I like his honesty and general attitude to speakers.

It is light and well constructed. It has a port on the front. It has massively satisfying low frequency extension. My other cab is a Berg IP310 which goes ALL THE WAY down. The ACME does the same. There is no obvious sonic weakening as I slide down the B string. It fills the room with chocolatey goodness.

I have been trying different amps with it. GK MB Fusion, Markbass something (LMII?) and Aguilar TH500. The ACME is not a super efficient cab and the Aguilar gave up before the other 2. This is not to say that it is not a fine amp, it is just not a good match for the ACME. The Markbass worked nicely, but for me the GK was the one which did the bizz. It drove the cab easily and seemed to have plenty in reserve. So I sold it. I could not justify keeping it and the Demeter pre I have but prefered the Demeter to the GK. So I bought a Peavey IPR1600 power amp which is super light and that drives it very nicely thank you. I had a Berg AE212 in for a short period at the same time to see if it could do instead of the ACME and the IP310. It could not. It was a fine cab and obviously louder than the ACME (2x12" innit) but for me the ACME is just a little bit more complete in the wrapping you in luscious LF. It kind of provides an LF pillow to sit on.

I am toying with the idea of getting another and flogging the IP, but I do not KNOW if two are going to make me as happy as the IP does (when I am not carrying it). I also got a 4 Ohm one and this would suggest another 4 Ohm which presents an awkward load to drive if I went back to a micro amp. I do love the Demeter, but I also love the idea of carrying less.

A bit of an odd review, more a stream of consciousness about my amp situation really, but I thought I would put this up here so that people knew there was one around and could ask questions if they wanted.

Edited by owen

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I keep meaning to do pictures. I am by now driving it with an AI Clarus+. 800w @ 4ohms. It is just superb with my DB. I could not be happier. I have a Thunderfunk sitting in the wings waiting to be put through it's paces. I will report back before the end of the year.

Hi Owen, glad the Clarus is working out :) I have an Acme Low B-2 (2x10") on order from the US and reckon that will sound fantastic with the head from my Acoustic Image Ten2 combo (essentially same as your Clarus but single channel)

• 1 year later...