Why become a member? ×

New TC Combo - BG250

wateroftyne

[quote name='Tripehound' timestamp='1385863148' post='2293060']
Bought one yesterday - I love my Bassman TV15 but I can feel my dodgy knee going when I lift it so the BG250-112 looked just the ticket for smaller gigs, home practice, messing with the effects and so on. Drove from Derby to Sheffield to get it and took it straight to the gig. I should have known better. Twenty minutes into the gig, said amp (which everyone had been admiring and commenting on what a smart chap I am) decides to cut out mid song.

I did what any self-respecting bass player would do under the circumstances - I accused the keyboard player of touching it. He proclaimed his innocence, we switched it off and on again and it started working. A situation that lasted around 5 minutes before it did it again. Then again. Abandoned set and took 20 minute break whilst we shot back to our rehearsal rooms to pick up the trusty Fender. Played the rest of the gig through that and of course it sounded great.

Confidence seriously damaged. Anyone else have this happen?
[/quote]

I bought a BG250-208 a few weeks ago as it looked ideal for acoustic jam sessions etc. It powered up normally, sounded fine (if maybe a little quieter than I expected) and seemed to be what I was after. A few home practice sessions in, I turned it on and thought I'd heard an electrical 'crack' from it, but there was some plastic packaging on my desk and I wondered if I'd just caught that with my sleeve, so I turned it off and back on again a couple of times and since all was normal, let it slide and got on with using it. Took it along to an acoustic rehearsal that weekend and it did just fine; it actually appeared to get louder over the course of the rehearsal, which I figured must be the speakers breaking in.

Fast forward a few more days, and another weekend rehearsal, and as we'd got more people playing, I decided to take a line out to the PA. I plugged in the XLR and while I was bent over the thing, hit the power switch. I didn't hear a 'crack' (though there may have been one) but did detect the distinctive smell of electrical overheating/burning. I'd just plugged in a fan heater, though, so wondered if it was just that warming up and burning off a bit of dust. Once again, it performed normally for the duration so I let it slide.

Few days later and it showed its hand; a loud 'crack' as I hit the power switch, a smell of burning and the power protection kicking in on my 4-gang. Being the daring type, I re-set everything and tried it again, whereupon it functioned perfectly normally as if nothing had happened. So this morning it's gone back to the shop and I won't be entertaining anything from TC again. My Markbass Micromark 801 should be with me within the next few days!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='relos' timestamp='1386957541' post='2306876']
Has anyone tried 1x12 vs1x15? worth the extra 50€?
[/quote]

It might be a bit late for you - but yes I have. I was looking for a lighter combo to replace the old Trace combo that was getting too heavy for my ageing back. I thought I would buy the 1x12 because of its slightly greater portability, and the fact I always used to like 12s (I've played through 10s, 12s, 15s and even 18s in the past). However, I found the 1x15 had a more rounded bass sound that suited my preferences - this was with the tone settings flat. I had hoped to try out a Genz Benz Contour but couldn't get across to Bass Direct to try one and it is quite a lot heavier then the TC combos. I was very happy with my trial of the BG250-115 Mk2 so I bought it. I've had it a few weeks now and so far it has performed perfectly at gigs, rehearsals and home. Those who think you need more than 250W to play in a pub should consider the fact that 100W used to be considered more than enough! Sound is also perceived on a logarithmic scale, which means that 100W is twice as loud as 10W. You need 1000W to be twice as loud as 100W. I hope your hearing survives...and I hope my BG250 does too!

There is also quite a helpful video comparison of all the different BG250 models here [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc4rj6EhB7M[/media]

Edited by Basslessfret

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1385980764' post='2294199']
Touch wood and all that guff but I have gigged mine a few times and had no problems with it. I use it every night in the house as well through the headphones but can understand the lack of confidence once it goes pop.
[/quote]

Well, this is the first time I have quoted myself in a topic.

I was doing a gig last night with a local acdc tribute band and I was checking my gear yesterday, as you do. Turned on my BG 250, it goes pop a few times and smoke comes from the back of it.

I will never buy a piece of kit from TC again. Even if it is still in warranty and could be repaired, I could not trust it on a gig. This morning, I paid £100 for a Ashdown Mag 2x10 combo and have swapped out the Chinese head for my old British Mag 300 head.

Talk about tempting fate with the above December post :sad:

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1406468752' post='2511675']
Turned on my BG 250, it goes pop a few times and smoke comes from the back of it.

I will never buy a piece of kit from TC again.
[/quote]
Well, don't make statistics based only on one sample :)

My two TC amps never had a problem, this is not an excuse for me to say they are invincible and will survive till the end of times. :) Sometimes also short circuits in amps are just bad luck (like a bug walking on the wrong contacts and blowing it up). it is also worth having it repaired if it is under warranty because if there is a design problem , usually the manufacturer will notice it due to the volume of services and fix it in the next release (amp misfunctioning are also bad for TC reputation).

All manufacturers have a percentage of failures - nothing is 100% perfect 100% of the time. Having said that, when an amp goes tits-up on you it's very hard to trust that brand ever again, even though intellectually you know that if it's repaired it will probably be OK.

I've not exactly had positive experiences with TC gear myself - and probably wouldn't buy it based on that experience, so when I read that two amps from the same stable have gone to the knackers yard, that also puts me off somewhat.

Heart v. Head, isn't it? Given that buying basses and bass amps (especially online) is all about comparing specifications and reading recommendations (and otherwise) on forums, I have no doubt that a lot of buying decisions are based on what the pics look like!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Aqntbghd' timestamp='1406491401' post='2511936']
Well, don't make statistics based only on one sample :)

My two TC amps never had a problem, this is not an excuse for me to say they are invincible and will survive till the end of times. :) Sometimes also short circuits in amps are just bad luck (like a bug walking on the wrong contacts and blowing it up). it is also worth having it repaired if it is under warranty because if there is a design problem , usually the manufacturer will notice it due to the volume of services and fix it in the next release (amp misfunctioning are also bad for TC reputation).
[/quote]

I really don`t get what you mean by the first statement in your post. I am only stating what happened with my amp. I have defended the BG250 on a few occasions in this section but sadly, it seems my loyalty was misplaced. I have owned various brands of amps through the years and have never had a problem with their reliability when used as per the manufacturers instructions.

I do feel pretty miffed when I paid £350 for something that is not up for the purpose, that it is designed to do.

If you look on here and Talkbass, you will find that the BG has a bit of a reputation for frying itself. I am pleased that the TC is working well for you. I own Ashdown gear and have had no problems with it, yet others claim to use them with a fire extinguisher near by :unsure:[size=4] [/size]

Edited by jezzaboy

I just got the original (1x15" with one TonePrint and TubeDrive-button).
Plenty loud for me, but not completely nuts about the tone.

Great for home practice, I plug in my iPhone - and jam away.
At gigs I run into the FOH, and 250 watts are plenty for stage sound.
I use it for folk/blues bands - and for rock bands with loud drummers.

I also have the GK MB200, and that gives me a warmer, richer tone...I think

If I find an alternative the the BG250, I might part with the TC - but I do like the TonePrint, but I only use one effect (compressor).
A bit hard the find the settings that gives me a good tone from the combo, set flat I think it sound a bit hard, dark and metallic.

It's a keeper for now, alternatives (like Fender Rumble 500 combo and EBS Reidmar head with 1x12"cab sound good, but cost twice as much)

What's you favorite settings?

Edited by isteen

• 1 year later...

TCE BG250-208

I've bought and sold several small amps over the course of the year for 2 reasons:

1. I just like trying out new/different brands

2. I want a small, lightweight home/practice amp.

Trying gear out in a shop doesn't work for me, I like to live with it for a while and take my time over playing around with it.

I've used a Roland Cube 30 for some time, a great little amp. Tried an EBS Session 60, PJB Briefcase, Cub and Flightcase, Fender Rumble 40 and finally the BG250-208.

Bear in mind that although my gig-rig is a Peavey SS head into an Ampeg B115E, (still a manageable lift), the 208 is a different kettle of fish when it comes to the tonal pallette. And I like that difference. Gig-rig tone is pretty much set flat and varied with pickup selection/thumb or pick. Home is noodling and twiddling.

So I'd say for an easy lift and small footprint the 208 foots the bill as a home/practice combo. Build quality seems good and with a built in tuner it's 'convenient' to get out and just plug in. The range of tones are ok, I drop the mids a bit, bass up a touch. The treble doesn't do much for me with or without hearing aid in! Sounds best on the shiny kitchen floor. I have plugged in the 115 from the LS ext but only in the house. As you would expect - massive increase in volume probably to small gig level.

It's definitely worth a look.

Edited by grandad

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Practiced with the 208 - drums & 2 guitars at a community centre hall & was impressed with the volume at about 3/4. I'm liking this amp more & more. Keep thinking that the addition of a Barefaced One 10 would provide me with a very nice lightweight rig for most occasions.

Edited by grandad

• 7 years later...