Why become a member? ×

New TC Combo - BG250

wateroftyne

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1350942452' post='1845507']
Bought one of these last week after trying in PMT Northampton. I gigged it saturday night at a club gig with my trio. Plenty loud enough but found the bottom end quite boomy and not very tight. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm thinking maybe it's something to do with the contouring EQ. I might try again but pull the bass right back to maybe 8 or 9 o'clock on the dial - this would cut around 80hz but add some 100hz (I think). 100Hz I reckon gives a bit more punch. Be interested in the view of the TC guy on here.
[/quote]

I take delivery of one in the next couple of days, i use a Sandberg 5 string fretless, Sandberg custom shop Bullet, and a TBird, so i will be putting it through its paces, will post results hopefully in the middle of next week.

[quote name='Phil White' timestamp='1371738018' post='2117558']
It has got compression, one of the tone prints, and its a string by string compression, much better than the bog standard types.
[/quote]
Thats right Phil,
it does now-and tbh it's my favourite toneprint.
but when I got the amp last year it hadnt been brought out-I just never added to my original post. ;)

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1332351536' post='1587175']
The real question is why is it so freakin' ugly?!
...and, why not make it a 12" cab with a wedge style - kick back shape? Surely that would be a lot more useful and a bit more interesting!

I do get the impression that TC don't really listen to bass players, I've got about 5 unanswered emails to them suggesting new products. </2p>

Eude
[/quote]
I think its very brave, or very confident for a company that is known for its effects to stand out and build bass amps. Bass players are notoriously critical, with good reason. I have been searching for "THAT" tone for 40 years! Having owned or used almost everything that has been available over that time. My conclusion? travel round with a recording studio and engineer, I have never yet heard anything decent thats not been d.i'd. Live sound, that is from the amp and guitar will change with almost every gig/room/stage. Sounds great in the shop,,,at the gig/rehearsal? don't sound the same. What sounds great in the bedroom does not mean it will soung good anywhere else. My point is,, you can't really go by other peoples opinions, its down to you, and your ears.
The TC line of bass gear is just giving us more choice, and in my experience, paying loads of money for "NAME" gear aint always a wise choice, been there,,,done that.
As for volume, if you can't hear yourself with an 150 watt set up,,,the rest of the band is too loud!. Rule of thumb,,,bass needs to have twice the output of the guitar, and a guitar at 100 watt is too damn loud for pub gigs. Any other size gigs will have you mike up through a sound system with foldback.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1332351536' post='1587175']
The real question is why is it so freakin' ugly?!
...and, why not make it a 12" cab with a wedge style - kick back shape? Surely that would be a lot more useful and a bit more interesting!

I do get the impression that TC don't really listen to bass players, I've got about 5 unanswered emails to them suggesting new products. </2p>

Eude
[/quote]

They do listen to bass players, they listen to the ones that helped them with the toneprints, experienced known players with big reputations. Who would you listen to?. As for ugly, do you want to play it or marry it??

[quote name='Phil White' timestamp='1375435271' post='2161140']
They do listen to bass players, they listen to the ones that helped them with the toneprints, experienced known players with big reputations. Who would you listen to?
[/quote]

Depends who they want to sell one to. Personally, as a semi-pro pub gigger, I'd listen to the opinions of OTHER semi-pro pub giggers over, ahem, 'superstars' or minor bass celebs.

Don't get me wrong, the BG250 is a neat little amp but I think it's a swing and a miss as it just doesn't have enough 'go' in it for your typical Dog and Duck gig. There's volume, but it's uncontrolled and flabby.

[quote name='Phil White' timestamp='1375435271' post='2161140']
They do listen to bass players, they listen to the ones that helped them with the toneprints, experienced known players with big reputations. Who would you listen to?. As for ugly, do you want to play it or marry it??
[/quote]

Fair enough, my real point was that they haven't even replied to any of my emails, which I consider rude, and doesn't paint TC in a good light as far as I'm concerned.
I'm not asking them to take my thoughts on board and build me a specific combo, just offering a bit of input from my experience of 22 years of playing, a little "thanks but no thanks" would suffice...

I know they involved some pro bass players for the tone prints, which is fair enough, but I think you'll find they asked them for input rather than the other way round, as they were already TC users.

As far as the design goes, each to their own, I just think they could've given it a little more thought, there are a lot of nicer designed bits of kit out there, to my eye, including some in TC's own range. It reminds me of kit from when I started playing years ago, its just a big black box.

I'm not dissing the product itself though, as I've not tried one, the tone print function might well be useful, but I'd be more likely to look at the head version of this than the combo, it's just a bit too bulky for the amount of power it puts out.

</my other 2p>

Eude

• 3 months later...

No, you can't make your own toneprints. They provide lots of choices and variants, but they're not editable and you can't make new ones. That technology does exist for other TC products, but not for the BG250 range.

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1338293248' post='1672200']
Would it be possible to create your own toneprints, or can you only use the "official" ones?
[/quote]

I have one of these and love it. It does what I need an amp to do.
I have no interest in having an amp that goes louder than this and wouldn't want the job of moving a bigger amp these days.

With the gain set just short of the clipping point and the master at half, it's just right for me.
The PA can do the job of making it loud enough for the audience.

To me, it sound pretty neutral and lets the bass have its own voice. Suits me fine.
Occasionally, I'll use an Ashdown ABM and 6 x 10 at the rehearsal room, it sound horrid and unfocused in comparison.

If anything replaces the TC for me, it might be a head from the same range and possibly a 2x10 or two, but as it is right now, I'm a fan.

[quote name='JazzyYama' timestamp='1385846778' post='2292892']
I bought one, worked for a day then sparked loudly from the back panel - decided it wasn't for me. I'm always nervous of gear with volts in.
[/quote]

Bought one yesterday - I love my Bassman TV15 but I can feel my dodgy knee going when I lift it so the BG250-112 looked just the ticket for smaller gigs, home practice, messing with the effects and so on. Drove from Derby to Sheffield to get it and took it straight to the gig. I should have known better. Twenty minutes into the gig, said amp (which everyone had been admiring and commenting on what a smart chap I am) decides to cut out mid song.

I did what any self-respecting bass player would do under the circumstances - I accused the keyboard player of touching it. He proclaimed his innocence, we switched it off and on again and it started working. A situation that lasted around 5 minutes before it did it again. Then again. Abandoned set and took 20 minute break whilst we shot back to our rehearsal rooms to pick up the trusty Fender. Played the rest of the gig through that and of course it sounded great.

Confidence seriously damaged. Anyone else have this happen?

Edited by Tripehound

I'm still very happy with mine.
I ask no more of it than it neutrally amplify the tone I put into it at a reasonably loud stage volume.

It seems to have no issues doing that and I very much appreciate the light weight.

On our bill last night, the bass player in the other band had an SVT and 8x10 cab.
With a state of the art line array EV pa there, who really needs that ?
Not me, that's for sure.

I feel for you though, if you've invested belief in it doing the job for you and it lets you down. Confidence is shattered at that point.

I've had my 115 a month. Lovely until I took out the whole venue after turning it on. Huge spark. I blamed their 4 way, but I knew. Since then constant spark when turning on. Brought it back to Guitar Guitar, who were brilliant. They returned it for repair. No issue since

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1385980764' post='2294199']
Touch wood and all that guff but I have gigged mine a few times and had no problems with it. I use it every night in the house as well through the headphones but can understand the lack of confidence once it goes pop.
[/quote]

I think it was the pop, plus the product safety recall combination (on a different product of theirs) that did it for me - http://www.tcelectronic.com/bh250/bh250-product-recall/

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1386156783' post='2296421']
I'm buying a new combo today, have been torn between these & the GB Contour. I think I need to drink more tea while I decide.
TC looks better but arguably has issues, then the GB just seems to be a bargain and has the option for an extension.

Decisions decisions.
[/quote]

I made this same choice. I chose a Contour 210, as at £300 it is a steal.

It's not that small / light, but I suspect that it is far more versatile in terms of the gigs it can handle. EQ is great too. Nice and simple, everything you need, nothing more.

Just my 2p

Well, I might be able to help here. I've owned both and am a current GB Contour owner (the 2x10).

I'm yet to gig it, but I already feel it's going to work out better than the TC. Why?

1). I prefer the tone at lower volumes, it has more depth and punch
2). Toneprint is a useless gadget IMO - would rather have my amp simple and effective (which the GB is)
3). No extention cab out on the TC - daft move, 250w into 1x15" isn't enough headroom for your average pub band with loud drummers/guitarists
4). No reported issues (my first TC BG250 released the magic smoke)

Cheers,
James

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1386156950' post='2296425']
I made this same choice. I chose a Contour 210, as at £300 it is a steal.

It's not that small / light, but I suspect that it is far more versatile in terms of the gigs it can handle. EQ is great too. Nice and simple, everything you need, nothing more.

Just my 2p
[/quote]
[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1386156990' post='2296427']
Well, I might be able to help here. I've owned both and am a current GB Contour owner (the 2x10).

I'm yet to gig it, but I already feel it's going to work out better than the TC. Why?

1). I prefer the tone at lower volumes, it has more depth and punch
2). Toneprint is a useless gadget IMO - would rather have my amp simple and effective (which the GB is)
3). No extention cab out on the TC - daft move, 250w into 1x15" isn't enough headroom for your average pub band with loud drummers/guitarists
4). No reported issues (my first TC BG250 released the magic smoke)

Cheers,
James
[/quote]

Thank's fella's, I think I know where the smart money is. I play with two guitars & key's so the full 500w extension option is probably the deciding factor.

Good choice, I'm no raving GB fan but I think the Contour series are a lot of amp for the money.

I find the TC BG250 such a shame, it's a great sounding amp but with a touch more power and an extension cab it could have been a fantastic tool - I can't understand at all the direction they are going in with the 1x12 and 2x8 versions, a mystery to me.