Why become a member? ×

New TC Combo - BG250

wateroftyne

The real question is why is it so freakin' ugly?!
...and, why not make it a 12" cab with a wedge style - kick back shape? Surely that would be a lot more useful and a bit more interesting!

I do get the impression that TC don't really listen to bass players, I've got about 5 unanswered emails to them suggesting new products. </2p>

Eude

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1332353390' post='1587228']
I think at this price, they have just taken a huge chunk of the market...its almost a 1/3 less than similar combos from MB/GB, and its cheaper than the Promethean!

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/tc-electronic-bg250-bass-guitar-amp-combo--96671"]http://www.dv247.com...mp-combo--96671[/url]
[/quote]

Hey Gareth,
I'm not sure they'll sell a lot of these. Even now TC are a bit of an unknown, and dare I say it "geeky" brand to the majority of bassists who are likely in the market for an amp like this at this price point, of course there will be some folks like yourself who know their sh*t and are looking for a backup/practice combo, but in my opinion, folks spending that kind of money, in the majority, are looking to make their 2nd amp purchase, post practice amp and the words "bigger" and "louder" would certainly come into play.

I'm not sure it's fair to compare this with the Promethean either, especially if you mean the 1x10 combo.
On paper, that combo wipes the floor with this, it's smaller, lighter, more versatile, has a removable 500W amp head, speaker out when in combo mode and the finish and build quality is up there with the TC high end stuff.
The Promethean punches well above its weight and is considered, at least by some, to be "pro" level equipment.
There have been some QC issues, but there's been plenty of that with TC's bass gear too from what I've heard.
I'd stick my neck out on this one and bet that the little Promethan sounds a lot better and is a lot more practical in the real world.

If you're comparing it with the newer lower end Promethean 1x15, then fair enough, they're the same price, the TC might edge it with it's built in single effect thing and it's mysterious invisible tuner.

The Tone Print thing, in my opinion is a gimmick, and using one effect at a time then having to overwrite to try another one would probably get a little frustrating in use, I may have misinterpreted how that works of course.
That Octaver does sound good though, I'll keep an eye out for a pedal version of that.
I also think the combo is pretty ugly, I guess that's a personal thing.

I'm just a little perturbed, as I think, yet again, TC are missing a trick here.
If they made a pro level lightweight powerful combo, based around their RS112 cab and high end heads, but with the ability to tilt it back, with all the aux in - headphone out and a speaker out stuff, I think they would sell a hell of a lot of them, I for one would be very interested...

</my other 2p>
Eude

Quite a lot of amp for the money I think, not sure about having in built effects (especially only being able to control one parameter on the amp) but perhaps if I had an Android/Apple phone I might think differently.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1332408222' post='1587747']
I'm just a little perturbed, as I think, yet again, TC are missing a trick here.
If they made a pro level lightweight powerful combo, based around their RS112 cab and high end heads, but with the ability to tilt it back, with all the aux in - headphone out and a speaker out stuff, I think they would sell a hell of a lot of them, I for one would be very interested...
Eude
[/quote]

+1

Edited by EskimoBassist

[quote name='whynot' timestamp='1332463951' post='1588859']
Not very attractive, although sure it sounds fine within it's price bracket.
TC have hardly put a foot wrong in their effects design for years IMO. They hit the ground running with the RH450 look. What's going on?
[/quote]

I guess, it's what they can do at that price point. Like I said above, I'm not convinced, but I guess it's good they're trying to generate a bit more mass appeal and affordability.
It is dang ugly though...

• 1 month later...

So has anyone taken the plunge on one of these yet?
As mentioned before I'm not keen on the look, but at just over £300 and weight I must confess to being mildly interested for the odd gig where the get-in is a pain, and need a little more wallop than a 1x12.
Any thoughts from owners so far!

[quote name='whynot' timestamp='1336838680' post='1651794']
So has anyone taken the plunge on one of these yet?
As mentioned before I'm not keen on the look, but at just over £300 and weight I must confess to being mildly interested for the odd gig where the get-in is a pain, and need a little more wallop than a 1x12.
Any thoughts from owners so far!
[/quote]
Just picked one of these up from PMT M/cr-took it straight to rehearsal....Impressed you bet, exactly what i've been looking for, as for the weight -16kg one handed carry,I'm happy with that.
only one negative imo It would have benefitted with some kind of compression,tube drive is great,especially when you dig in.
Am I going to miss my Hartke/Ashdowns -dont think so

I love it when he uploads a new effect using his iPhone. Reminds me of the Matrix where Neo learns Kung Fu!

"I know OCTAVE!"

"Show me."

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7arjCw5e35I[/media]

Edited by dannybuoy

• 3 weeks later...

Just got one of these for practice use as I'm a bit sick of lugging a 6x10 and an Ampeg around, I must admit for the price this is a really good little amp.

I will definitely will using it for some of the smaller venues that my band plays at.

I've not really played with the toneprint much yet, so I can't tell you how good it is or isn't.

I think TC Electronic have built a pretty solid sounding little combo, well worth a try if you don't want to spend a fortune.

[quote name='martfitz' timestamp='1338494699' post='1675512']
Just got one of these for practice use as I'm a bit sick of lugging a 6x10 and an Ampeg around, I must admit for the price this is a really good little amp.

I will definitely will using it for some of the smaller venues that my band plays at.

I've not really played with the toneprint much yet, so I can't tell you how good it is or isn't.

I think TC Electronic have built a pretty solid sounding little combo, well worth a try if you don't want to spend a fortune.
[/quote]

So, well worth the money even without using toneprint?