Why become a member? ×

Bass or base?

Pinball

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1332334521' post='1586763']
Nooo that can't be right look at the spelling, anyway I can't say it like that without choking, you will be calling scons scones next!

Where will it all end?
[/quote]

We had that discussion last week! ;)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/170656-who-says-sc-on-and-who-says-sc-own/page__st__40__p__1578958__hl__scon__fromsearch__1#entry1578958"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1578958[/url]

Oh and for the record - it is Bass as in yer face! :P

Hmmm. shall I stick my oar in? oh yeas I think so....

We have people of many nationalities at work here, so here's a quick summary...

[b]Nationalities that have said "Oh, you mean you play Bass" (rhymes with Grass)[/b]
Germany
France
Norway
Turkey
Sweden
Denmark
Spain
Lithuania
Peru
Poland
Belgum

[b]Countries where Bass rhymes with Race...[/b]
UK

I guess we can add USA and Australia to the last category.

So it's decided then, It rhymes with Race. :rolleyes:

There was a geordie lad called Jamie who used to work in the music shops in Sheffield, and he always pronounced it like the fish rather than the guitar. Confused the hell outta me the first time I talked to him :) Didn't see him for ages, then a few months ago he turned up on the telly on 'freaky eaters' or whtever it's called, because he wouldn't eat anything that wasn't smothered completely in brown sauce! Not that there's a link there or anything...

But yeah, in Sheffield it rhymes with 'race'.

[quote name='SteveO' timestamp='1332344603' post='1586998']
[b]Nationalities that have said "Oh, you mean you play Bass" (rhymes with Grass)[/b]
Germany
[/quote]

I do quite like how they say Jazz Bass over there.

Gotta say though, I've never heard a native English speaker (or even many non-native speakers come to think of it) refer to it as a b[i]-ass-[/i] guitar. This is like the brand pronunciation thread only this one fills me with more despair.

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1332341570' post='1586944']
probably belongs to the other pronounciation thread but in the olden days before the internet I rang up directory enquiries to get the number for the bass centre. I asked for bass ( as in lace ) which is the only pronouncation and the operator insisted on calling it bass ( as in grass ) , she even told me that my pronounciation was wrong :angry:
[/quote]

Peut-etre elle est Francais?
They [i]do[/i] pronounce it like-ze fish....

So lets get this right.

It seems to me the only people who might say bass to rhyme with pass are from Tyne-side or[i] maybe[/i] Sheffield ?

So the rest of the country pronounces it BASE ?

Which is apparently how only the UK (minus a few regions) the USA and Australia pronounce it.

But the rest of the world pronounce it to rhyme with pass ?

(I noticed a German guy on a youtube vid pronouncing it to rhyme with pass a while back actually. Didn't realize that all of Europe did though? )

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1332348814' post='1587101']
So lets get this right.

It seems to me the only people who might say bass to rhyme with pass are from Tyne-side or[i] maybe[/i] Sheffield ?
[/quote]

Nah, just from Tyneside and [I]living in[/I] Sheffield. So it's a Tyneside thing if anything.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1332348814' post='1587101']

But the rest of the world pronounce it to rhyme with pass ?

[/quote]That depends how you pronounce that of course. If you live in the South that would make bass - barse.

Can open, worms everywhere.

Bath anyone?

[quote name='el borracho' timestamp='1332352462' post='1587203']
I've never heard anyone say it before - always pronounced b-ace
[/quote]

Maybe its just people who are from Tyne-side and are [i]of a certain age[/i]. (IE: people who might know what I'm on about if I said [i]"I'd dow anythin for a canny bag o Tudor, man" for instance ?[/i])

In Welsh its BAS which would be pronounced as in bass the fish.

Since its everyone who speaks english (Except 2 northerners, one of which likes brown sauce a bit to much) that say BASS as in BASE we must be right and the rest of the world, including whos ever language we nicked it from, must be wrong. Stands to reason dunnit. I mean................. its English init. We're right............ right?

A

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1332352957' post='1587215']
Maybe its just people who are from Tyne-side and are [i]of a certain age[/i]. (IE: people who might know what I'm on about if I said [i]"I'd dow anythin for a canny bag o Tudor, man" for instance ?[/i])
[/quote]

Thats me, well Northumberland, which has changed totally since they widened the road!

Sooo does that mean that this forum is called Barsechart?

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='SteveO' timestamp='1332344603' post='1586998']
Germany
France
Norway
Turkey
Sweden
Denmark
Spain
Lithuania
Peru
Poland
Belgum
[/quote]

You missed Northumberland!

Edited by Pinball

What about a bass drum..? No, not a 'kick', that's cheating. I can't imagine playing a barse drum, or a bass (like the fish...) drum. The only option seems to be bass (base...) drum. I'm not likely to change now, anyway, at my age.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1332355388' post='1587267']
What about a bass drum..? No, not a 'kick', that's cheating. I can't imagine playing a barse drum, or a bass (like the fish...) drum. The only option seems to be bass (base...) drum. I'm not likely to change now, anyway, at my age.
[/quote]

Indeed. Just wonderin though. To those two people who pronounce is to rhyme with pass. What about Treble & Bass, is that treble & base, then ??

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1332354118' post='1587242']

Its scon! calling it anything else is a southern cone
[/quote]Ahem, what about the palace in Perth, "Skoon"? Hang on I'm getting déjà vu here.

I'm from Northumberland and now (spookily) also live in Bristol and I'm afraid I've never heard it pronounced like bass (i.e. crass), it's always been base either up North or doon here.

I am, however, with you on "scon". All the way. And whilst I'm at it, it's Baff not Barth when referring to Bath. And if someone asks if I'm from Newcarsel, I say no, I'm from Newcassle.