Why become a member? ×

'66 Slab Precision...Anyone seen one/got one?

Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1480353682' post='3183636']
yeah, its an interesting one indeed! :) Then again, going back to IoW, take the My Generation performance, if someone told you that was a slab, you'd believe it. The solo sounds near identical to Leeds (My Generation starts at 1:28:48):

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVf5wW5J_uA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=aVf5wW5J_uA[/url]

And this was a stock Precision with rosewood neck. The constants here are John himself and the Hiwatts. Perhaps the slab sound is there within the bass, but most of it is John?
[/quote]

Now, that sounds very different to me from the Leeds recording, both in terms of the bass itself and the sound of the amps. IOW sounds like a Precision to me, with a lot of emphasis on the bass side of the rig, resulting in an almost farting tone. Leeds sounds razor sharp and precise with a much cleaner low end, and with the distinctive extra 'something' of the Slab (albeit Frankenstein). Of course there are so many other variables in play, all we can do is trust our ears in situations like this.

That said, in the footage of Monterey JE is playing a Slab through rented Vox amps, giving a very odd sound most unlike the normal Who roar (Townshend sounds particularly weedy) - however the tone of the Slab is still very apparent.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1480368258' post='3183845']
I agree with a lot of this. I spoke to John Kallas on Talkbass about Slabs once. He claimed that the wiring was a normal P-bass wiring scheme and that the pickups were stock as well. To quote John Entwistle:

"There is something different about the sound of these Precisions…I’ve tracked it down to the pickups and tone circuit — the sound is much raunchier and gutsy and has a hint of distortion when the volume is flat out.”

I admire John as a bassist and musician, but I don't think he was right in this instance. There is no source of distortion within a Precision circuit as nothing is clipping.
[/quote]

In my youthful naivety I always took JE's comments about the Slab as gospel but it does seem highly unlikely that that pickup and circuit is reponsible for the unique tone. Which brings us back to the neck. I'll have to try and cobble together some recordings of my Yamaha to see what everyone thinks. It's definitely got something extra going on.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1480415137' post='3184119']
Now, that sounds very different to me from the Leeds recording, both in terms of the bass itself and the sound of the amps. IOW sounds like a Precision to me, with a lot of emphasis on the bass side of the rig, resulting in an almost farting tone. Leeds sounds razor sharp and precise with a much cleaner low end, and with the distinctive extra 'something' of the Slab (albeit Frankenstein). Of course there are so many other variables in play, all we can do is trust our ears in situations like this.

That said, in the footage of Monterey JE is playing a Slab through rented Vox amps, giving a very odd sound most unlike the normal Who roar (Townshend sounds particularly weedy) - however the tone of the Slab is still very apparent.
[/quote]

yeah, I suppose there are differences, the way in which the two concerts were recorded may have been different? I think it was Meddle who said somewhere where you can hear the bass bleed into Roger's mic, I've listened to IoW countless times and I still hear the times when John's bass sometimes gets a more Leeds sound than the rest of the concert, which was quite bassy as you've noted. Then again, when I remember that slab neck it was very heavy, like a baseball bat. It could affect tone somewhat, but I don't think to a great degree.

I personally think his IoW My Generation solo sounds a lot closer to Leeds than say his Monterey one, which has some growl (the player?) but isn't as close. The key being the different amps. Then again, we have to rely on our ears for this one :)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1480415408' post='3184125']
In my youthful naivety I always took JE's comments about the Slab as gospel but it does seem highly unlikely that that pickup and circuit is reponsible for the unique tone. Which brings us back to the neck. I'll have to try and cobble together some recordings of my Yamaha to see what everyone thinks. It's definitely got something extra going on.
[/quote]

that would be cool. I'll try record that slab if I get a chance

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1480439663' post='3184425']
Then again, when I remember that slab neck it was very heavy, like a baseball bat. It could affect tone somewhat, but I don't think to a great degree.
[/quote]

Purely anecdotal, but I have heard of some guitarists moving to deeper neck profiles because (they reckon) it affords better sustain. Could that baseball-bat neck have provided some similar sustain or other qualities to the tone, or do the jury reckon these guitarists are just talking cobblers?

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1480697820' post='3186570']
Purely anecdotal, but I have heard of some guitarists moving to deeper neck profiles because (they reckon) it affords better sustain. Could that baseball-bat neck have provided some similar sustain or other qualities to the tone, or do the jury reckon these guitarists are just talking cobblers?
[/quote]

good point! I had another go at the slab recently, only held it, and the neck was not as heavy as I first remembered. They could have a point

I think it plays a part, but not a huge part. In the context of John Entwistle, whats being discussed here is his slab sound, which is very barky and overdriven. I very much doubt a slightly bigger neck can cause such overdrive, its certainly the amps

• 2 weeks later...

played the slab again today. Whilst the strings were old, it didn't have that same growl. Now I'm nowhere near John's level, but I can get a similar tone to his through a Precision, but I really do think its to do with the amp and application of the player in this case. The strings were old mind you

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1481739294' post='3194761']
played the slab again today. Whilst the strings were old, it didn't have that same growl. Now I'm nowhere near John's level, but I can get a similar tone to his through a Precision, but I really do think its to do with the amp and application of the player in this case. The strings were old mind you
[/quote]

Is this an original Slab or your Slab 66?

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1481739294' post='3194761']
[/quote]

I believe he used to put on a fresh set of RS66s before every gig - something about them losing their "sparkle" after a day of use - in any case the harsh clank of a fresh set of Rotos may well have played a part!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1482071889' post='3197369']
I believe he used to put on a fresh set of RS66s before every gig - something about them losing their "sparkle" after a day of use - in any case the harsh clank of a fresh set of Rotos may well have played a part!
[/quote]

Very true, rotos make a huge difference! If the original slab had a fresh set on it would sound fantastic

Edited by The-Ox

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Just resurrecting this thread again rather than start another. It would appear that Barry Matthews is no longer with us, his '66 Slab is up for sale via Andy Baxter. My dream bass, but as I don't have £11, 995.00 going spare, it'll just have to remain a dream... 

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/collections/fender-precision-bass/products/1966-fender-precision-bass-slab-body-blon

4 hours ago, tony_m said:

Just resurrecting this thread again rather than start another. It would appear that Barry Matthews is no longer with us, his '66 Slab is up for sale via Andy Baxter. My dream bass, but as I don't have £11, 995.00 going spare, it'll just have to remain a dream... 

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/collections/fender-precision-bass/products/1966-fender-precision-bass-slab-body-blon

That's a shame. I bought a bass from Barry Matthews about 20 years ago. It was a late 60s Jazz body with a 65 neck which was played by John Entwistle. I had all the pictures to support its provenance. Sold it when I gave up playing in 2008. Shame.

Would love to see Barry's 66, but the link doesn't seem to work.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steve, I owned this bass from - I Think - 1991 to 1997. I bought it from Andy’s in Denmark Stvand sold it to Barry Millership who eventually sold it to Barry Mathews (whose widow is selling it at Andy Baxter’s)

when did you own it? The bass centre invoice doesn’t have a date. J 

• 1 month later...

This is interesting for Slab fans, and perhaps another chapter in the story.

This is a loan agreement from Jan 1967 from Sound City in London to Noel Redding of the J H Experience. 

It’s a one day hire for a slab P Bass. The serial number (131437) is recorded in the Barry Matthews book, where it is said to belong to Phil Harris. 

It says Tele Bass in the invoice but of course they did not exist in Jan ‘67; it actually proves that the term ‘Tele Bass’ was being used for the slabs at the time. 

I presume it was used for a recording session with Jimi Hendrix! 

Forgive me if you’ve all seen this before. 

Johnny 

BEED4552-408F-480F-9D70-685EFE283549.png

• Like 4