Why become a member? ×

'66 Slab Precision...Anyone seen one/got one?

Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1397503338' post='2424615']
AFAICS every other manufacturer of basses with maple necks and rosewood boards seems to be capable of making them without the necks twisting. In fact this is the first time I've actually come across this explanation. I's have thought it would have been simpler just to season the wood properly before constructing the neck. Does anyone actually have a twisted Fender neck with a slab rosewood board?
[/quote]
I have a lovely untwisted one.

OK, here goes:-
[attachment=160300:IMG_0002.jpg]

The conversation taking place at the time was me pointing out that the polepieces of the pickup on my Stingray were uneven and I was getting loud A and D against quieter E and G. Afterwards he gave me add-on magnets to take away and fit when I got back home and they helped cure the problem.

Just shows Leo didn't mind criticism and I reckon would not particularly join in and bask in the 'Leo got it right first time' debate. He continued to innovate - and, guess what? - his next move to the G&L range saw adjustable pole pieces being used.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1397503828' post='2424633']
Yep, I had one. Strangely enough, because the string path followed the twist, it didn't affect the playablity.
[/quote]

So it was like a [url=http://littleguitarworks.com/torzal-natural-twist/]Little Torzal Bass[/url]?

I also heard that Leo preferred the sound of all maple necks, but also used rosewood partly for marketing reasons (most other instruments had ebony/rosewood boards). The thin veneer boards gave a compromise between the sound of more maple in the neck and the cosmetics of a dark fingerboard..and also avoided the occasional neck problems that came with maple/rosewood slabs they used at the time. I'm sure the timber conditioning in those days was a much more variable process, and a fairly small company wouldn't be stocking timber in the quantities needed to let it dry for a long time in house before production.

Just what I heard....

I have owned one of these in the past and also an original Precision bass. Ok, the original had a very different pick-up in it but it was very noticeable how much more 'oomph' (not a very technical term but the most understandable description I can think of) there was about these basses than any others I've owned.

I had heard the pick-ups were hotter on these but have sort of concluded that it is more likely to be the slab body and the extra mass. Again, no science behind it at all, it is based purely on my experience of slab body basses against many others.

I used it on some recordings but little point in posting any because there are so many variables, it wouldn't be any kind of definitive benchmark.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1332193221' post='1584735']
I find myself mysteriously drawn to any talk of the fabled Slab Precision...
[/quote] Okay! firstly its not a P Bass! Its a 1966 'Telecaster Bass'! It just happens to look like a P Bass. I have played an original 66 that was owned by John Entwistle. It was quite heavy with ash body not swamp ash. I've had the pleasure of chatting with Barrie Midford-Millership who was the creator of the slab. It was his 'baby'! You need to read is book. Its all in there.

[quote name='slab66' timestamp='1399799545' post='2447669']
Okay! firstly its not a P Bass! Its a 1966 'Telecaster Bass'! It just happens to look like a P Bass. I have played an original 66 that was owned by John Entwistle. It was quite heavy with ash body not swamp ash. I've had the pleasure of chatting with Barrie Midford-Millership who was the creator of the slab. It was his 'baby'! You need to read is book. Its all in there.
[/quote]

And secondly? :blink:

It does seem to say 'Precision Bass' on the headstock...

[quote name='slab66' timestamp='1399799545' post='2447669']
Okay! firstly its not a P Bass! Its a 1966 'Telecaster Bass'! It just happens to look like a P Bass. I have played an original 66 that was owned by John Entwistle. It was quite heavy with ash body not swamp ash. I've had the pleasure of chatting with Barrie Midford-Millership who was the creator of the slab. It was his 'baby'! You need to read is book. Its all in there.
[/quote]
I am confused by the words 'Precision Bass' in your avatar of a Slab66 headstock.

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1399926917' post='2449118']
There is Custom shop Slab 66 here : [url="http://www.coda-music.com/fender-custom-shop-masterbuilt-slab-body-precision-p-18234.html?oscsid=fea2751165fa87cb58f505496fc51cf1"]http://www.coda-musi...8f505496fc51cf1[/url]

[/quote]
Stunning! Shame it's nowhere near me otherwise I'd be trying that out!

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1400020953' post='2450057']

Its a post '58 Precision bass with the colour scheme and (some) aesthetics of a '50s Telecaster guitar. The maple neck, uncontoured body, black pickguard and translucent white finish all nod towards those guitars.
[/quote]
Exactly ( or perhaps, Precisely? ). There were no Telecaster basses before 1968, so these are Precisions, pure and simple.

No. They just badged them with the Precision decal and sent them out. There was no way Fender would go to the expense of new decals for such a low run. Its a 1966 'Telecaster' Bass. Do yourself a favour and read Barrie Midford-Millershp's book!

[quote name='slab66' timestamp='1400599083' post='2455324']
Had not read Barrie's book back then.
[/quote]
You can call it whatever you want of course but please explain why you want to call it a Telecaster Bass when Fender call it a Precision Bass and even the website for the book you refer to also calls it a Precision Bass sometimes.