Why become a member? ×

What Is Hip

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1332095225' post='1583172']
....Technique, sound, feel, timing, dynamics...it's all here....
[/quote]

It is. Why don't I like it?

MM is a fantastic finger style player. When he switches to FS at 4.10 the whole number takes off for me (until 4.26)!

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of that style of playing. To me it's what happens when a guitarist has a shot of your bass! Miller is a great player and listening to that it's hard to believe its the same bassist on 'Just the two of us'.

Again great player but I don't subscribe the fill everything out with loads of thumps.

Dan

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1332097196' post='1583241']
This is why bass playing is so subjective. To me, this is a player at the top of his game. To other people this is a bad noise.
[/quote]

to me it's not bad noise...it's a very good bass player making music i don't care for.

I don't think that that particular bassline lends itself very well to being given the slap treatment. It seems to have replaced a lot of the bubbling bass with a loy of trebly clickety click. Saying that, it seems to work well when he plays a different part around 2:18.

[sub][size=3][size=4]Having watched the original version live a week last Friday at Ronnie Scotts ( have I mentioned that yet?) and then a recording from the 40th Anniversary TOP Concert CD yesterday I have to concur with those who prefer the original.[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=4]Interestingly Emillio Castillo was saying when they record Rocco Prestia his basslines are all over the place in a solo mix yet the drummer David Garibaldi's stuff is always spot on. I watched a TOP tribute a few years ago and the only way the guy could replicate FRP's lines was by using all 4 fingers of his right hand. Yet watching FRP last Friday I was surprised to see most of his right hand work is just the first two fingers with the occasional use of this third finger.[/size][/size][/sub]

[sub][size=3][size=4]BTW I do like MM too.[/size][/size][/sub]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1332101567' post='1583360']
Maybe, but for me it has no soul.
[/quote]

+1. And Marcus has got soul, it's evident in a lot of his recordings. But poor imitations of well established songs and bass lines and he's not doing himself any favours. Dull dull dull, totally self-serving trash.